the beast

Weekend Thread - Insidious 29.6M, Jumanji 37.2M, TLJ 23.7M, TGS 13.8M, PP3 10.3

Glove_bigger.jpgGitesh Pandya @GiteshPandya

Strong start for #InsidiousTheLastKey w/ $2M from THU night pre-shows despite Arctic weather in much of the east. 28% better than last #Insidious film from summer of 2015 & double what HappyDeathDay did this past OCT. Will join #JumanjiJumanji_Emoji.png & #StarWarsThe_Last_Jedi_BB8_emoji_v3.png in Top 3 this wknd.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

The GA aren't not done yet with horror!!! 

Hollywood should make a horror film about santa ghost and release it during x-mas.......

It's been done

Krampus

Domestic Total Gross: $42,725,475
Distributor: Universal Release Date:December 4, 2015
Genre: Horror Comedy Runtime: 1 hrs. 38 min.
MPAA Rating: PG-13 Production Budget: $15 million

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $42,725,475    69.4%
Foreign:  $18,823,232    30.6%

Worldwide:  $61,548,707  
Domestic Summary
Opening Weekend:  $16,293,325
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nothing opening wide will outright flop this year unless it's horrible or only for little kids...Everyone needs to start adding at least 5-10% to their normal movie minimum expectations...This is gonna be the 1st of many "it's higher than I would have expected" results we get...I mean, Bright getting watched by 11 million OW tells you that folks who have something to get value out of, will try to get value out of it:)...All those Xmas/Hanukkah Movie Pass gift memberships will be in full force this month...

Edited by TwoMisfits

For other January franchise horror comparisons:

The Woman In Black 2 - 1.5 million

Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones - 1.2 million

Texas Chainsaw 3D - 1.15 million

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter - 1 million

Now granted, it'll probably be just as - if not more - frontloaded than any of those due to the popularity of the Insidious IP, as well as ever increasing force of Thursday nights, but still, that's not a bad number at all. It's actually quite good, when you think about it.

• Like 1

FWIW this is significantly more tilted in favor of nighttime showings at my theater compared to Jigsaw and HDD. Deadline's early numbers might be off because matinees are going to be godawful and the night can go in many directions.

Another bit of proof that releasing a great Horror movie on the first weekend of January brings in good bucks. Hollywood knows that, Hollywood delivered on this very weekend in the last decade, giving us memorable and oscar-worthy Horror movies, certain to be classics in the near future.

Spoiler

1200x630bb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@DAR

Well, I noticed you never mentioned the people saying Disney is 100% pleased with TLJ are not talking out of their ass either.

We don't know what they think, but I do not think they are 100% happy that TLJ is ending up on the lower end of box office expectations with a divisive reaction.

Seems more logical then that they are perfectly content as people endlessly go on about on here. 

In the end, Disney situation on SW is still pretty golden. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

Thread was closed before I got a chance to agree with @Tree Billboards and @narniadis about PTA films.

They seem to be perennial awards contenders, and I must admit, I've never actually even seen his films, save Magnolia.

I quite like ensemble, intertwining movies (not that I can recall any done well) and thought I'd give it a shot about 5 years ago.

After about 40 minutes, I gave up. I was bored out of my mind, nothing of note seemed to be happening, I'm not even sure any of the characters had a hint of being linked. In fact, it did feel pretentious as though the scenes were meant to be meaningful, except they were devoid of it.

Since then, every time I've seen a trailer for a PTA movie (many times not even knowing it's him) I find myself thinking, who would watch this? The trailers don't explain anything at all and really don't make you give a shit of why it should interest you in the slightest. 

Unfortunately, I don't have all the time in the world to spend wasting on films which couldn't convince me in the trailer that they were even worth a look, but from my literally torturing boredom experience with Magnolia, FIVE BLOODY YEARS AGO, I just absolutely can't stand his films, lol. 

And especially when critics collectively orgasm over them. 

I'm hardly a populist or elitist when it comes to films too. Yeah, I hate oversequelization, and am not a fan of superheroes or Disneyfying everything, but I do enjoy a popcorn blockbuster. Similarly, I do like a lot of "awards bait" contenders, but am not a fan of those really niche seemingly self-glorifying and pretentiously shot indie films- which is the vibe I get from all PTA trailers.

• Like 1