the beast

Weekend Thread - Insidious 29.6M, Jumanji 37.2M, TLJ 23.7M, TGS 13.8M, PP3 10.3

26 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

again, if a backlash on a 20min olaf short has already caused disney to react and remove them, I am pretty sure disney will never happy with proven unexpected divisive TLJ.

That short was always going to be a temporary attachment.

24 minutes ago, BK007 said:

Thread was closed before I got a chance to agree with @Tree Billboards and @narniadis about PTA films.

They seem to be perennial awards contenders, and I must admit, I've never actually even seen his films, save Magnolia.

I quite like ensemble, intertwining movies (not that I can recall any done well) and thought I'd give it a shot about 5 years ago.

After about 40 minutes, I gave up. I was bored out of my mind, nothing of note seemed to be happening, I'm not even sure any of the characters had a hint of being linked. In fact, it did feel pretentious as though the scenes were meant to be meaningful, except they were devoid of it.

Since then, every time I've seen a trailer for a PTA movie (many times not even knowing it's him) I find myself thinking, who would watch this? The trailers don't explain anything at all and really don't make you give a shit of why it should interest you in the slightest. 

Unfortunately, I don't have all the time in the world to spend wasting on films which couldn't convince me in the trailer that they were even worth a look, but from my literally torturing boredom experience with Magnolia, FIVE BLOODY YEARS AGO, I just absolutely can't stand his films, lol. 

And especially when critics collectively orgasm over them. 

I'm hardly a populist or elitist when it comes to films too. Yeah, I hate oversequelization, and am not a fan of superheroes or Disneyfying everything, but I do enjoy a popcorn blockbuster. Similarly, I do like a lot of "awards bait" contenders, but am not a fan of those really niche seemingly self-glorifying and pretentiously shot indie films- which is the vibe I get from all PTA trailers.

how dare you

PTA definetly isnt for everybody. I found Boggie Nights...okayish, but i adore There Will Be Blood. His films are bloated, but its often the great kind of bloat for me. And the directing, my god is the directing magnificient.

20 minutes ago, Sheikh said:

Why are people still talking about Star Wars? Insidious: The Last Key just made 2m in preview, that's way more than I thought. I thought this would make less than 20m. What do people think it will make?

It's a 4th movie in a franchise. I expect it to open around 19m, and if it plays like most horror films especially this month, it'll end up with around a 41m domestic gross, which would be good, given its budget. 

3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Another bit of proof that releasing a great Horror movie on the first weekend of January brings in good bucks. Hollywood knows that, Hollywood delivered on this very weekend in the last decade, giving us memorable and oscar-worthy Horror movies, certain to be classics in the near future.

Hide contents

1200x630bb.jpg

But horror isn't concerned about Oscar glory.  They are made really inexpensively and turn a profit for the studio.  The Insidious films have always been really inexpensive.  Doubt it changed this time around....EDIT...10 mill budget...so that's good for a sequel.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

PTA definetly isnt for everybody. I found Boggie Nights...okayish, but i adore There Will Be Blood. His films are bloated, but its often the great kind of bloat for me. And the directing, my god is the directing magnificient.

Boogie Nights is most accessible.  I appreciate TWBB more than I actually like it.  I remember liking PDL but it's been awhile since I've seen it.  I haven't seen Inherent Vice or Phantom Thread and neither interest me.  I really disliked the Master.  And while I won't call it the worst film ever(looking at you Blair Witch Project) I really really really hate Magnolia.

3 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Could Insidious make more than Last Jedi this weekend? :ph34r:

Doubt it...Jedi would have to drop by about 60%.

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

But horror isn't concerned about Oscar glory.  They are made really inexpensively and turn a profit for the studio.  The Insidious films have always been really inexpensive.  Doubt it changed this time around....EDIT...10 mill budget...so that's good for a sequel.

I think he was trying to make a joke about the One Missed Call remake and how awful it was.

Magnolia is one of the stupidest most moronic dumb-ass films I've ever seen.  It's filled with profanity in places that doesn't require any and then the frogs fall.  It's about as dumb as they come.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

3 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

I think he was trying to make a joke about the One Missed Call remake and how awful it was.

But he missed the point about horror films and January.  And I know what he was trying to say.

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Surprisingly good for Insidious 4 despite horrific reviews (20% on RT) and a seemingly lack of buzz.

I watched Chris Stuckmann's review of this film, and he said that the film is much better than expected; he said that while the rating is low, the reviews are more middle of the road than downright awful, although the filmgoers who refuse to do further research may not know that. Overall, he gave the film a B-. So that audience score is pretty telling; this film isn't perfect, but it is something audiences really would like tpnsee with the tie they have. So it'll probably do as well as it can.

That is a really good number for 'Insidious: The Last Key', should do +18M OW which is more than I initially predicted (11-13M OW). 

I watch 'Jumanji' yesterday and I am so glad it is doing so good. It is not an excellent movie but it is a really entertaining and fun movie to watch, specially in theaters. 

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

Magnolia is one of the stupidest most moronic dumb-ass films I've ever seen.  It's filled with profanity in places that doesn't require any and then the frogs fall.  It's about as dumb as they come.

200_s.gif

• Like 1