the beast

Weekend Thread - Insidious 29.6M, Jumanji 37.2M, TLJ 23.7M, TGS 13.8M, PP3 10.3

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

You can't paint #56 all-time adjusted as a bad number. Not to mention it'll be well into the top 50 by the time its run is done. 

TLJ's run has for sure been a bit of a bummer but it's still gonna have a fucking crazy high total. 600M is an absolute shit ton of money. 

TLJ' opened not far behind JL's final dom (227+) and then added Wonder's dom (approx) more to it's run 220 + 410 = 630. That's very impressive number of tickets.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, aabattery said:

You can't paint #56 all-time adjusted as a bad number. Not to mention it'll be well into the top 50 by the time its run is done.

Perhaps only barely. Ignoring BOM's own average ticket adjustment method, a $620m total is probably somewhere in the region of 65m tickets sold for a movie like TLJ, and that'd take it to #48 ish.

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

TLJ' opened not far behind JL's final dom (227+) and then added Wonder's dom (approx) more to it's run 220 + 410 = 630. That's very impressive number of tickets.

on the downside, TLJ is the 1st 200m openers, that likely failed to reach 3x legs 

3 hours ago, TheForceuser707 said:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

I expect a full apology from the wildly mistaken moderator who took it upon himself to object to facts he was completely unaware of.

These mean nothing.  It's the past.  You can't adjust numbers and use them in an era that has streaming, downloading and internet availability two weeks after a film is released.  Money talks.

And for the record, I didn't take anything upon myself.  Every warning point given out to any member is discussed by various members of the staff and then handed out.

you have a lot of growing up to do.

• Like 1

For those expecting normal Saturday bumps...I wouldn't...

1. The East Coast snow was mostly cleaned up (at least in the big urban areas) by yesterday morning, and with 2 days off (and kids held inside for Thursday), Friday was a huge "get out of the house" day...yesterday probably played liked a Saturday for a lot of movies...

2.  The NFL playoffs start today at 4pm...football matters (yes, I know they play every year this weekend, but they didn't have folks with a beautifully cold day off yesterday to go in and then decide to watch games today and tomorrow).

I mean, I hope these weekend estimates hold (and if they do - MoviePass - its powah!), but I'm expecting a lot of movies to come off the weekend total numbers (just like TLJ's already did in the later update)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, aabattery said:

TLJ's run has for sure been a bit of a bummer but it's still gonna have a fucking crazy high total. 600M is an absolute shit ton of money. 

Agreed.  I would have loved if it made more than it has.  But what it’s made is great and life goes on

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Greatest Showman is starting to become something of a WOM sensation, isn't it? Everyone I've spoken to that's also seen it LOVES it.

I know Moviepass holders who have gone in every weekend since open to hear the music again...now, not sure how the movie is, but the music is worthy of sitting through it every time, it seems...

50 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Overall, this has been a great holiday Season.
A $625m movie, a $325m+ movie, two $100m-grossers with PP3 and The greatest Showman. 

We won't see that in 2018, where Mary Poppins might do 200m+, but where Bumblebee, Aquaman and Spiderman all seem to look like they might not break out like we've seen it this year. 

Nah, if MoviePass is around (and unchanged or even more adopted) next Xmas, I guarantee we'll see something break $300M and a lot of movies, whether they are good or not, doing decent numbers:)...

23 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Based upon? The quality of the movie? Past victories? Let's be clear. TLJ is a complete disaster. It doesn't matter how you want to look at it. It made money off the back of all of the previous installments in the saga. It is the only movie in history to drop $150M+ between two consecutive weekends, and if you discount its OW numbers it has made around $250M DOM. How much of that was also curiosity based on brand name or the previous installment cannot be quantified. TLJ isn't a successful movie. It has the lowest audience rating of any Star Wars movie. Its revenues are the result of excessive marketing, goodwill on the brand name Star Wars, and expectation generated by The Force Awakens. Proof is already available if you look at what has happened in China. This movie is TRAILING BEHIND ROGUE ONE there... on its OW, beaten by a local "romance" movie which has been out for a whole week already.

TLJ may not ever break even!

It's going to get pushed down to third place in its third week of release.

What more do you need to hear?

Edited by TheForceuser707
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I know Moviepass holders who have gone in every weekend since open to hear the music again...now, not sure how the movie is, but the music is worthy of sitting through it every time, it seems...

I'm happy for its success just because of the musical genre. This and La La Land's success last year should hopefully convince studios to take more chances on them because when they hit, they really hit.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, boomboom234 said:

Looking at RT tlj dropped from 93 to 90% a few more rotten,sure to come, and it’s at 89%. Not that important but it shows a slight reversion even among the critics

Not really, that is exactly where I predicted it would end up on TLJ thread, thats just the way the scoring goes on RT.

It was 93% @ 140 reviews and using typical trends, it was always going to end in that region.

Some stans on that thread thought I was just being negative.

1 minute ago, AndyK said:

Not really, that is exactly where I predicted it would end up on TLJ thread, thats just the way the scoring goes on RT.

It was 93% @ 140 reviews and using typical trends, it was always going to end in that region.

Some stans on that thread thought I was just being negative.

It really is well and truly the STID of the franchise 

11 minutes ago, baumer said:

These mean nothing.  It's the past.  You can't adjust numbers and use them in an era that has streaming, downloading and internet availability two weeks after a film is released.  Money talks.

And for the record, I didn't take anything upon myself.  Every warning point given out to any member is discussed by various members of the staff and then handed out.

you have a lot of growing up to do.

I don't think you are in any position to make any kind of judgments about me. I haven't insulted you or banned you or mistreated you in any way and yet here you are casting aspersion filled opinions beyond your station in public. 

You were wrong point blank. Accept this!

TLJ at time of writing was 57th on the adjusted all time list.

You attempt to berate me with some ridiculous comment about me not posting facts and yet here are the facts.

Instead of an apology this display of resentment filled hubris is all you can offer?

If I were in charge here you wouldn't be "moderating" anything, let alone what should be a serious discussion.

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

Just now, TheForceuser707 said:

I don't think you are in any position to make any kind of judgments about me. I haven't insulted you or banned you or mistreated you in any way and yet here you are casting aspersion filled opinions beyond your station in public. 

You were wrong point blank. Accept this!

TLJ at time of writing was 57th on the adjusted all time list.

You attempt to berate me with some ridiculous comment about me not posting facts and yet here are the facts.

Instead of an apology this display of resentment filled hubris is all you can offer?

If I were in charge here you wouldn't be "moderating" anything, let alone what should be a serious discussion.

Okay, deep breath...it's a movie board...I don't think anyone thinks someone's movie opinions define who he/she is in real life.  Baumer's a cool poster...and I'm sure you are, too...but you might want to back off making ad hominem attacks if you want to become a long-time respected poster, here.

If you're cool, we tend to be cool...so my advice...just take it down a 1/2 notch and let folks either a. be wrong or b. don't attribute "it's personal" if they are wrong (b/c everyone makes mistakes) or c. maybe be open to other info that while you may not be wrong, doesn't fully explain the bigger picture...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheForceuser707 said:

Based upon? The quality of the movie? Past victories? Let's be clear. TLJ is a complete disaster. It doesn't matter how you want to look at it. It made money off the back of all of the previous installments in the saga. It is the only movie in history to drop $150M+ between two consecutive weekends., and if you discount its OW numbers it has made around $250M DOM. How much of that was also curiosity based on brand name or the previous installment cannot be quantified. TLJ isn't a successful movie. It has the lowest audience rating of any Star Wars movie. Its revenues are the result of excessive marketing, goodwill on the brand name Star Wars, and expectation generated by The Force Awakens. Proof is already available if you look at what has happened in China. This movie is TRAILING BEHIND ROGUE ONE there... on its OW, beaten by a local "romance" movie which has been out for a whole week already.

TLJ may not ever break even!

It's going to get pushed down to third place in its third week of release.

What more do you need to hear?

I already grossen $550M and more than $1100M WW that is a success. Most movies fail to do $250M after Opening Week, and TLJ will gross $300+M after the Opening Week.

If TLJ isn't a successful movie than we wouldn't have a single movie studio left by now.

If you consider the Lucasfilm price, than it won't break even, but if you don't it will make them a lot of money.

It's it fourth weekend.

Real arguments?