the beast

Weekend Thread - Insidious 29.6M, Jumanji 37.2M, TLJ 23.7M, TGS 13.8M, PP3 10.3

1 minute ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Fun curiosity: Annabelle: Creation ended in better positions in the end of year charts in the Asian region (and in most of LA as well), than The Last Jedi, same happened with TC2/RO last year. 

If it weren’t for the tradicional markets making up the difference, the SW franchise would have the same impact of Stat Trek OS. @James

"Traditional." Come on, Trek is as old as Star Wars and is nowhere near as popular as Star Wars even in your so called "traditional" markets. 

• Like 2

Looks like Jedi is doing it's norm, coming in below all the previous estimates 🤣

On the other side If the rest of the films had had a more normal post holiday weekend instead of being bigger than expected Jedi wouldn't look so off, considering that 24-27 was the expected range all week. For once it's weekend is doing what I thought on Wednesday. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Noctis said:

"Traditional." Come on, Trek is as old as Star Wars and is nowhere near as popular as Star Wars even in your so called "traditional" markets. 

Because Trek never broke out OS in any market, unlike the SW franchise that had a strong appeal in markets like UK/France/Germany, but never expanded beyond it.

My Trek comparison is when it comes to failing to expand it’s audience OS.

34 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I have highlighted in italic a fallacy that only an angry child who doesn't know shit about box office would say.

TLJ may have not been critically successful and its legs have been poor, but it cost 200M in production, and it's going to make 1.25-1.3B WW, 600+ of those coming from DOM. Just on North America alone, it tripled its production budget. How the hell is that "not breaking even"?

The movie is actually a huge success, get over it.

First of all Miss, I'm a lot older than you and clearly better mannered. You don't address a stranger with such impertinence. But I'll allow it since the moderators here are slack.

You say TLJ had $200M production costs. Please offer a figure for its marketing and distribution costs. As you know those are separate and additional expenses.

In some cases these expenses are double the production costs, especially on globally distributed movies like this one. I've heard TLJ had total costs as high as $800M+. I've also heard that as a rule of thumb movies aim to make three times their production costs in order to break even.

So. Assuming that figure is correct: $800M, TLJ hasn't broken even yet. This of course based upon the studios recouping in this case 65% of the North American gross and far less of the overseas revenues.

Please take your time before you attempt to respond.

Thanks.

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

Also, do not get the love for TGS. Listened to the soundtrack and find it as bland and unappealing as I did LaLaLand. 

I just listened to This Is Me and I loved it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boomboom234 said:

Did you have the same view of BVS sure the amount is great but how it’s preformed is not go back a month a suggest the numbers it will do people would call you a troll and that it was impossible 

Me a troll?!? 

BvS made $330 million. 

TLJ will earn not far off double that, and in turn more dollars in the US than almost any film has ever done. 

I’m not about to let this get sidetracked into another BvS go-around.  One movie resides in the top six all-time domestic. The other in the 50’s. 

I’m happy for people to call TLJ a disappointment compared to their expectations for it to perform like TFA did.

But it didn’t. It performed like a mega blockbuster sequel. Which we see year in year out and declare huge successes. Of which this outperformed all of those considerably. 

It is irrefutable that it is an absolute mega hit and I’m merely tiring of some calling it ‘a disaster’ when it’s one of the most successful films we’ve ever seen. 

Not a phenomenon. Just a plain old mega hit. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheForceuser707 said:

First of all Miss, I'm a lot older than you and clearly better mannered. You don't address a stranger with such impertinence. But I'll allow it since the moderators here are slack.

You say TLJ had $200M production costs. Please offer a figure for its marketing and distribution costs. As you know those are separate and additional expenses.

In some cases these expenses are double the production costs, especially on globally distributed movies like this one. I've heard TLJ had total costs as high as $800M+. I've also heard that as a rule of thumb movies aim to make three times their production costs in order to break even.

So. Assuming that figure is correct: $800M, TLJ hasn't broken even yet. This of course based upon the studios recouping in this case 65% of the North American gross and far less of the overseas revenues.

Please take your time before you attempt to respond.

Thanks.

My ass TLJ's costs in total were $800m. That's fucking ridiculous.

• Thanks 1

Just now, wildphantom said:

Me a troll?!? 

BvS made $330 million. 

TLJ will earn not far off double that, and in turn more dollars in the US than almost any film has ever done. 

I’m not about to let this get sidetracked into another BvS go-around.  One movie resides in the top six all-time domestic. The other in the 50’s. 

I’m happy for people to call TLJ a disappointment compared to their expectations for it to perform like TFA did.

But it didn’t. It performed like a mega blockbuster sequel. Which we see year in year out and declare huge successes. Of which this outperformed all of those considerably. 

It is irrefutable that it is an absolute mega hit and I’m merely tiring of some calling it ‘a disaster’ when it’s one of the most successful films we’ve ever seen. 

Not a phenomenon. Just a plain old mega hit. 

I didn’t call you a troll I said if some suggested those numbers for tlj someone would call you a troll. And bringing up BVS is an example of a financial profit maker that is still a dissappointment