the beast

Weekend Thread - Insidious 29.6M, Jumanji 37.2M, TLJ 23.7M, TGS 13.8M, PP3 10.3

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

https://www.moviepass.com/

They had their 3rd big subscription pop as Xmas presents, when Costco ran a $89.95 annual deal the 2nd week of December...adding in their original late August pop when they 1st reduced their price to $9.95/month and then in November when they made the 1st $89.95 annual deal that sold out (so the deal ended faster)...it's gone from 10K subscribers in Jan 2017 to between 1-2M as of Jan 2018 (they released data they hit 1 million at some point in December, but the Costco deal had not ended yet:)...

How does it help BO gross? 

When I went to NY, I saw Inside Out about a month plus into its run for $14. 

This is less for unlimited movies a month on opening day.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BK007 said:

How does it help BO gross? 

When I went to NY, I saw Inside Out about a month plus into its run for $14. 

This is less for unlimited movies a month on opening day.

MoviePass pays theaters the ticket price value of a full priced ticket...whereas consumers feel tickets are "free", since they don't pay by the ticket, but only pay their subscription cost...when you lock in consumers to a subscription, many (especially in the beginning) feel like they need to get "value" out of it...this is still in the "get value out" stage...especially since many of the early adopters are millenials (75% at last update from the company), who have the time (but not usually the money) to see anything that interests them over and over...

PS - At this stage, if you assume 1.5M MoviePass holders, they can add up to $21M in box office value PER DAY.  Now, they probably don't all hit the movies every day, but if you assume the users see 1-2 movies/weekend (possibly seeing the same movie twice or different movies), they are upping weekly total box office by between $21M-$42M (1 or 2 movies seen by the base users/week - this averages out those that see zero per week, and super users who see 4-7 - using $14/ticket as a decent average, since these users have zero reason to go to cheap theaters or showtimes:).  Most of these users will be weekend goers...so if you're a single main wide opener (which doesn't really presell much) nailing their base, you could see an enormous unforseen pop (based on old data that can't incorporate this kinda disruption) for an OW...

You will also see these types of openers "spread" more for the OW, since you probably have users willing to wait for a seat vs paying OOP for one...they can just see another movie for free while they wait for the one they want...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

Logan gets pushed out of top 10 as JL went over it on Wed and Jumanji went over JL this weekend.

9 Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle Sony $244,372,666 3,801 $36,169,328 3,765 12/20 -
10 Justice League WB $227,025,639 4,051 $93,842,239 4,051 11/17 -
11 Logan Fox $226,277,068 4,071 $88,411,916 4,071 3/3 7/13

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, jb007 said:

Perception means jack. Studios run on profits. TLJ will be more profitable than any other movies in 2017. Further, the TLJ studio share is likely to be way bigger than JW, F7 and AOU (due to high China gross/low share) with only TA having a bigger studio share than TLJ. 

Studios run on profits and TLJ is profitable but obviously less profitable than TFA, and likely less profitable than the studio expected. There's no reason to believe they did not expect 3x multi after TFA and RO managed to go over. Especially after such glowing reviews. 

Moreover, perception is important cause less competition = better chance at higher profitability so now that everyone sees that SW can be challenged, studios won't hold back. 

Point being, profitability is important but even within profitability there's higher and lower profitability and you bet they want higher one. Especially since TLJ toy/merch sales are reportedly down too (though part of the problem is Toy'R'Us situation but still they are not making as much money as they used to). 

• Like 1

Just now, a2knet said:

Logan gets pushed out of top 10 as JL goes over it and Jumanji goes over JL

9 Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle Sony $244,372,666 3,801 $36,169,328 3,765 12/20 -

lol didn't realize that Jumanji was already over JL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

:gold:

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

-how many people who saw the original Halloween in theaters will be willing to pay money for a ticket

-they do, but none of them have hit $200M and I doubt this one will be any different

-you can say "nostalgia" for literally any property; that doesn't increase its potential.  i'm sure people had nostalgia for Independence Day

-there's a -5000% chance it performs like It

IDK maybe just maybe they’ll use a strategy using scenes from the movie in 2 minute long videos that show exciting and most interesting/appealing scenes from the movie, put posters everywhere and have ads on TV and make it look very good and show these advertisements frequently. They can also have certain people see it early to create buzz maybe even everyday people can see it early. But what would we call that? And on top of that what if it’s good.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

edit: My bad, JL went over Logan in the weekdays. But Jumanji did push it out of top 10 this weekend.

Justice League made the top 10, therefore it’s not a flop.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

MoviePass pays theaters the ticket price value of a full priced ticket...whereas consumers feel tickets are "free", since they don't pay by the ticket...when you lock in consumers to a subscription, many (especially in the beginning) feel like they need to get "value" out of it...this is still in the "get value out" stage...especially since many of the early adopters are millenials, who have the time (but not usually the money) to see anything that interests them over and over...

I see, wouldn't they run out of money quick?

I mean, if they do have 1m subscribers and rising, they'd probably run out of money by May.

12 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

TGS is probably going over 100m. WOM is strong with this one. 

I wonder if Hugh will do another movie musical? I want more movie musicals in general and last year had three successes with BATB, La La Land (which I know was 2016 but that made most of its money in 2017) and The Greatest Showman.

Wicked in 2019 will probably do $250-300m domestic easily.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Justice League made the top 10, therefore it’s not a flop.

WB still has the number 3 film of 2017 with Wonder Woman so a DC film is in the top 3, just not the one they thought it would be.

Just now, DAR said:

I know @EmpireCity has said the Moviepass model won’t be sustainable and that theater chains are likely going to start offering their own version 

I'm surprised it hasn't happened earlier, AMC will likely adopt the Limitless model from Odeon and Regal will adopt the Unlimited model from Cineworld once the acquisation goes through

7 minutes ago, New Year New Panda said:

Jumanji’s definitely a major box office story, I thought it had breakout potential but I was thinking that meant like 150m not 300m+

I had it at less then Pitch Perfect 3 in my winter game (yikes for me), so it's definitely beat my expectations. The true Christmas box office breakout, and one of the box office stories of the year. Its run has been astonishing to say the least. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1