the beast

Weekend Thread - Insidious 29.6M, Jumanji 37.2M, TLJ 23.7M, TGS 13.8M, PP3 10.3

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I wonder if Hugh will do another movie musical? I want more movie musicals in general and last year had three successes with BATB, La La Land (which I know was 2016 but that made most of its money in 2017) and The Greatest Showman.

Wicked in 2019 will probably do $250-300m domestic easily.

I'm sure Jackman will do another musical. He comes from a theater background after all, and he does feel at home with musicals. 

Also unless it's crap, Wicked will be huge. 

Just now, filmlover said:

The biggest January weekend on record I believe is January 16-19, 2015 ($250M). It's unlikely we'll see that topped this year but the month (and year) is already off to a great start.

I still can't believe how American Sniper managed to do $89m three days in January!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

But if you take all the customers in a neighborhood, get them to use your service at that price point (vs say $50/service), how many customers would ever go back to the old service at the $50 price point whether or not you stayed in business?  A few would, yes, but many would decide to see if someone else popped up offering a similar price point or if they could just live without it, now that they know someone would give them this deal for $10...

It's transformational...there is no doubt this is transforming the industry...whether it was a nice or cool way to do it - that's out of my discussion league...how and when industry itself ultimately decides to react - that's out of my league (since it took Walmart like 15 years)...I just deal in the reality of "now", not "what could have been"...although by theaters jacking ticket prices so hard and fast, it probably opened the door for this kinda move (like Blockbuster did when it moved from $2/night to $5/night so rapidly)...

For now, though, it's gonna help BO for movies...and that is what we discuss here...so look for better-than-expected BO til this all changes:)...the surprises will be to the downside, not the upside for movie BO...

I don't think $10 was ever as sustainable pricepoint to begin with.

Can anyone from the UK chime in?

I remember Cineworld having a program of unlimited movies a month too for a certain price back in 2009-12 when I was there. Is it still running?'

But that was run by the cinema, not an outside company.

Someone explain to me how the hell Moviepass is sustainable.  I just read an article that says the general price for it is $10.00 a year but if you commit to a year they were offering it at $89.95.  This means you can see a movie a day for the whole year if you choose to.  

Now, I realize I'm probably not the typical movie goer, in that I see about 70 movies a year at the theatre (this was in 2017 which was my lowest amount of movies seen in the theater in about a decade...used to see over 90, sometimes 100).  If I bought this pass, I'd be at the theater at least twice a week, sometimes 3 or even 4.  So that means I'd be seeing more than 120 movies at the theater per year.  I'd be a nightmare for theatres.....I'd cost them piles of money.

So how is this ever going to be viable and sustainable?

And god dammit when the fuck is this going to come to Canada?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

You are going to see nearly every theater roll out their own version this year and many will refuse to take MoviePass in the near future.   

It is coming and the theaters see the game going on.  They aren't going to allow MoviePass to drive a wedge between them and the data on their customers. 

This also isn't comparable to Amazon or Netflix in my opinion.  It wasn't like people were walking into Wal-Mart with an Amazon card and picking up a ton of items and swiping the card at the register and when Netflix gets a subscription they aren't having to turn around and pay out sometimes 10x the amount to a studio if someone watches a bunch of movies.  It is pennies and not on the same level.  

I'm surprised it wasn't done sooner. Cineworld and Odeon in the UK is proof that a subscription service is sustainable. 

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Has a director ever had two films hitting number 1 in the same year? Spielberg will achieve it with The Post and Ready Player One, I'd like to say Zemeckis has done it but I'm not certain. 

Wachowskis - both 2 and 3 opened in 1st place.

MV5BNzNlZTZjMDctZjYwNi00NzljLWIwN2QtZWZm
The Matrix Revolutions
WB $139,313,948 3,502 $48,475,154 3,502 11/5/2003 Trailers
MV5BYzM3OGVkMjMtNDk3NS00NDk5LWJjZjUtYTVk
The Matrix Reloaded
WB $281,576,461 3,603 $91,774,413 3,603 5/15/2003 Trailers

Ridley Scott had Hannibal and Black Hawk Down in 2001 but BHD was in limited release in December and did not open #1. It expanded in 2002 and then hit #1 so does not count.

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Someone explain to me how the hell Moviepass is sustainable.  I just read an article that says the general price for it is $10.00 a year but if you commit to a year they were offering it at $89.95.  This means you can see a movie a day for the whole year if you choose to.  

Now, I realize I'm probably not the typical movie goer, in that I see about 70 movies a year at the theatre (this was in 2017 which was my lowest amount of movies seen in the theater in about a decade...used to see over 90, sometimes 100).  If I bought this pass, I'd be at the theater at least twice a week, sometimes 3 or even 4.  So that means I'd be seeing more than 120 movies at the theater per year.  I'd be a nightmare for theatres.....I'd cost them piles of money.

So how is this ever going to be viable and sustainable?

And god dammit when the fuck is this going to come to Canada?

yeah i'm tempted to give it a try.  Not crazy about some of the "limitations" of it, but it maybe worth a try but I have to see how easy it is to cancel, just in case

3 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I'm sure Jackman will do another musical. He comes from a theater background after all, and he does feel at home with musicals. 

Also unless it's crap, Wicked will be huge. 

The fact Universal didn't rush Wicked as a movie is a good thing although that's made so much money for them, they can't afford not to rush. It cost $14m to produce on Broadway and has in 14 years over $2bn, that's a huge ROI

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

You are going to see nearly every theater roll out their own version this year and many will refuse to take MoviePass in the near future.   

It is coming and the theaters see the game going on.  They aren't going to allow MoviePass to drive a wedge between them and the data on their customers. 

This also isn't comparable to Amazon or Netflix in my opinion.  It wasn't like people were walking into Wal-Mart with an Amazon card and picking up a ton of items and swiping the card at the register and when Netflix gets a subscription they aren't having to turn around and pay out sometimes 10x the amount to a studio if someone watches a bunch of movies.  It is pennies and not on the same level.  

Blocking Moviepass seems difficult if not impossible since it is just a debit card, but it does rely on knowing the cost of a ticket and adding the right amount to the card.  When AMC mentioned potentially charging different prices for different seats I wondered if that might be a clever way to make it harder for moviepass which relies on adding the exact ticket cost to the card.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 75Live said:

yeah i'm tempted to give it a try.  Not crazy about some of the "limitations" of it, but it maybe worth a try but I have to see how easy it is to cancel, just in case

There's no real limitations except that you can't see it in 3D or IMAX.  Other than that, what limitations are there?

3 hours ago, Rumpot said:

Blocking Moviepass seems difficult if not impossible since it is just a debit card, but it does rely on knowing the cost of a ticket and adding the right amount to the card.  When AMC mentioned potentially charging different prices for different seats I wondered if that might be a clever way to make it harder for moviepass which relies on adding the exact ticket cost to the card.  

Why would a theatre chain care if movie pass is being used?  They are still getting paid for the full price of the movie.

The Greatest Showman going from a potential flop the weekend it opened to a certified hit in less than three weeks has to be one of the better box office turnaround stories of 2017. Always great to see the musical genre enjoy a hit.

• Like 5

There's no real limitations except that you can't see it in 3D or IMAX.  Other than that, what limitations are there?

One movie per day.

Not all theaters accept it.

No reserved seating, must be purchased day of.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

only 1 movie a day, no guarantee of a seat and have to do it 30 minutes before the movie starts which mean chances of not getting a ticket.  Again, it won't affect most times going, but still possibilities of issues

and not all theaters take it

and no preordering

Edited by 75Live
  • Like 1

Just now, baumer said:

Why would a theatre chain care if movie pass is being used?  They are still getting paid for the full price of the movie.

I think the concern is that it's unsustainable and once it goes belly up, the attendance is gonna dry up until an acceptable substitute comes along or those subscribers wait for home video, etc.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MrPink said:

One movie per day.

Not all theaters accept it.

One movie per day only makes sense.  And is it AMC that does not accept it right now?

But think about it.  How many of us here see more than 10 movies a year at the theatre?  I would say most of us.  And if you do, then this card already pays for itself.  

1 2d Movie per day - no upgrade

Must be at theater to reserve seat (probably need 30 minutes early to make all this happen)

Worst customer service ever...

That's it...

3 hours ago, 75Live said:

only 1 movie a day, no guarantee of a seat and have to do it 30 minutes before the movie starts which mean chances of not getting a ticket.  Again, it won't affect most times going, but still possibilities of issues

and not all theaters take it

What do you mean 30 minutes before a movie starts?  Are you saying you can't buy your ticket until 30 minutes before it starts?