the beast

Weekend Thread - Insidious 29.6M, Jumanji 37.2M, TLJ 23.7M, TGS 13.8M, PP3 10.3

The Netflix argument doesn't resonate with me either.  I have netflix plus an Android box and I'd still rather go to the theatre to see a movie.  There's nothing better, for me personally, than going to the theatre and sitting in a darkened room in front of a 200 foot screen (or whatever the measurements are) with the sound system it has and seeing a movie that way.  It's just what I prefer.

• Like 3

Just now, baumer said:

The Netflix argument doesn't resonate with me either.  I have netflix plus an Android box and I'd still rather go to the theatre to see a movie.  There's nothing better, for me personally, than going to the theatre and sitting in a darkened room in front of a 200 foot screen (or whatever the measurements are) with the sound system it has and seeing a movie that way.  It's just what I prefer.

Some people really hate and despise audiences so much they'd rather be completely alone.

I'll never understand it, but it is what it is.

3 hours ago, CJohn said:

Portugal doesn't have anything like Moviepass. We do have a card which allows to buy two tickets for the price of one.

Canada just gets drilled in the behind with a rotating blade.  We have nothing and the cost to see movies here is about as much as it is in NYC.  

• Like 1

Just now, baumer said:

totally agree with all of this

• Like 1

Just now, baumer said:

I second that. Theater experience is special and I feel cannot be duplicated at home.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MrPink said:

It's $10 a month for me. I've used it for It, Kingsman, The Foreigner, Thor, Justice League (2x), Lady Bird, The Disaster Artist, Murder on the Orient Express, Daddy's Home 2, and Wind River. So exactly 10 times so far.

When I saw Star Wars I opted to go in IMAX each time. Same for Blade Runner.

So it's already paid for the cost of your monthly fee.

23 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Has a director ever had two films hitting number 1 in the same year? Spielberg will achieve it with The Post and Ready Player One, I'd like to say Zemeckis has done it but I'm not certain. 

Zemeckis did do it 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?view=&yr=2000&wknd=29&p=.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2000&wknd=51&p=.htm

Just now, baumer said:

So it's already paid for the cost of your monthly fee.

As long as I go once a month, I'm saving a few bucks. I didn't do an upfront yearly cost however.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MrPink said:

As long as I go once a month, I'm saving a few bucks. I didn't do an upfront yearly cost however.

Isn't it $90/year?

Watch 7 movies and you're probably already saving money. You've seen 11.

I'd love something like this here. Yeah, there would be drier periods, but over the year it'll average out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, La Binoche said:

I'd say the biggest one was Spielberg in 1993 with Jurassic Park and Schindler's List.

That is the thing saving the movie industry. That unlike with music let's say, the consumption is vastly different and arguably less exciting with streaming.

Either you buy a CD to listen to a song or do it on Youtube there really isn't a difference. But watching a movie with a laptop(at low quality for new films) is not at all the same with a cinema experience.

2 minutes ago, BK007 said:

Isn't it $90/year?

Watch 7 movies and you're probably already saving money. You've seen 11.

I'd love something like this here. Yeah, there would be drier periods, but over the year it'll average out.

That was a limited time price I did not do. I signed up for the $10 a month plan, so it's $120 a year. I also do not have a Costco membership so I don't know what's up there.

Edited by MrPink

Movies that did 35-40 in the 3rd weekend:

13 Avengers: Age of Ultron BV $38,859,900 8.5% 4,276 $9,088 $459,005,868 5/1/15
14 Shrek 2 DW $37,931,716 8.6% 4,131 $9,182 $441,226,247 5/19/04
15 Zootopia BV $37,164,158 10.9% 3,959 $9,387 $341,268,248 3/4/16
16 Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle Sony $36,000,000 14.7% 3,801 $9,471 $244,372,666 12/20/17
17 Iron Man 3 BV $35,770,094 8.7% 4,237 $8,442 $409,013,994 5/3/13
18 The Dark Knight Rises WB $35,737,330 8.0% 4,242 $8,425 $448,139,099 7/20/12
19 Skyfall Sony $35,502,973 11.7% 3,526 $10,069 $304,360,277 11/9/12
20 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest BV $35,215,201 8.3% 4,133 $8,520 $423,315,812 7/7/06
  • Like 3
  • Astonished 2

15 minutes ago, MrPink said:

It's $10 a month for me. I've used it for It, Kingsman, The Foreigner, Thor, Justice League (2x), Lady Bird, The Disaster Artist, Murder on the Orient Express, Daddy's Home 2, and Wind River. So exactly 10 times so far.

When I saw Star Wars I opted to go in IMAX each time. Same for Blade Runner.

Why did you see JL twice? :gold:

This is an amazing weekend all around, especially considering this winter storm hitting a lot of areas in North America. Some thoughts:

Jumanji is the textbook definition of a monster breakout. It will now surely pass Thor 3 and It, GOTG2 seems like a stretch. But even thinking about Jumanji topping these hype-fueled-well-reveived SH hits...its truly astonishing. It just had a 3rd weekend about even with the first lol. At this point, it hink this goes beyond leggy Christmas hits - this is just a perfect storm. Im excited to follow the run in the coming weeks.

Insidious 4 is also a breakout. I thought it would be lucky to hit Chapter 3's OW number (22M), but it handily surpasses that. We have to wait for Weekday numbers, but this is a contender for the 65-80M range now. Very impressive.

The Last Jedi had a normal drop, essentially the same as R1's 4th weekend drop. With 572M, it surpassed Bambi at the all time DOM adjusted list :lol:. I still think, this will pass The Avengers rather easily. MLK Weekend will give it a very good drop and its running 60M above TA1 run at the moment. Also, seeing any film surpass Minions at the Worldwide list gives me pleasure.

Greatest Showman with a fucking 11% drop. I dont care for the movie but i want to see it cross 100M DOM, just for the sake of it and it very well looks like it :) PP3 is now also locked for 100M, impressive, considering it was labeled as a flop when it opened.

Nearly all the awards stuff is doing really great as well. Mollys Game had a good weekend, Darkest Hour and The Shape of Water continue to chugg along. Also, that The Post number is incredible. Big breakout incoming @WrathOfHan

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Some people really hate and despise audiences so much they'd rather be completely alone.

I'll never understand it, but it is what it is.

Maybe if audiences weren't so damn rude, people would like going to the theater more. 

3 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

I am looking forward to reading your Jumanji review.

I thought Jumanji was really enjoyable :P

Really liked Karen Gillan and Jack Black. Kevin Hart has some good jokes. Nick Jonas was great eye candy. 

The Rock is just The Rock in every film. He can only play himself unfortunately.

• Thanks 1