a2k

Daily Numbers | Thursday 4th Jan | J 6, TLJ 4.4

3 hours ago, Taruseth said:

It is highly successful, but it success isn't based on most movie markets but just on a few: Dom, Uk, Germany, Japan, France, Australia and Scandinavia and it did good in some other European Markets. But it did awful in South America and Asia.

Yes, and with TFA it did well in many markets.  The declines in a lot of markets is probably because this version of SW kind of sucks.  It's not what we want, we meaning a lot of us fans.  If they make some changes for in the next one, then like Sith, this third episode will increase.  There were significant increases in markets like Australia, Japan and UK, just to name a few, from Clones to Sith.  So this being the middle chapter and being divisive and so on, doesn't mean the franchise in on the decline.  It's easy to fix.  I could fix it  And if I can fix it, you can sure bet Disney and LFL can fix it as well.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, baumer said:

Except it's not just those three markets where it does well.  There's many others it thrives in.

I guess this was inevitable.  The common folk lining up to kick dirt on a supposed dead franchise that is going to be the 6th highest grossing film of all time domestically and top ten world wide.  There's no denying that the film has split the fanboys in two, but there's also no denying that it's a massive hit.  Some of you need to think before you let your fingers hit the submit button.

Baumer things are plain simple; TLJ is underperforming in Asia and South America which are the 2 most promising and fast-developing continents right now.

No one denied that TLJ was a hit. I am just stating that the way things are evolving it is natural that in a few decades, a big performance in Europe and USA will just not be enough to ensure a massive performance.

There is a reason studios are investing so much in China and we all know it. Of cource it SHOULD be disapointing for Disney what is happening up there.

Unless you want to tell me that a competitive company like Disney cares about short-term profit more than the long-term potential of the franchise...

Edited by FantasticBeasts
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

It's easy to fix.  I could fix it  And if I can fix it, you can sure bet Disney and LFL can fix it as well.

Yikes, if a non director, non script writer normal dude could fix it.. what the hell went wrong? These are professionals aren't they.

6 minutes ago, Giesi said:

I wouldn’t recommend Disney to change what SW is about just to please some markets, when you don‘t even know if you can succeed at all in those markets and at the same time alienating your main audience.

In some decades, provided that the world exists as we know it, no franchise will be able to compete without big numbers in Asia.

Asia = 4x the population of USA and Europe combined. Is it THAT difficult to see what enormous potential there is even If in a hundred years from now, Asia is 1/2 as developed as US or Europe is now?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

In some decades, provided that the world exists as we know it, no franchise will be able to compete without big numbers in Asia.

Asia = 4x the population of USA and Europe combined. Is it THAT difficult to see what enormous potential there is even If in a hundred years from now, Asia is 1/2 as developed as US or Europe is now?

Star Wars doesn't have to exist forever. Let the franchise die. Kill it if you have to.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

Yes, and with TFA it did well in many markets.  The declines in a lot of markets is probably because this version of SW kind of sucks.  It's not what we want, we meaning a lot of us fans.  If they make some changes for in the next one, then like Sith, this third episode will increase.  There were significant increases in markets like Australia, Japan and UK, just to name a few, from Clones to Sith.  So this being the middle chapter and being divisive and so on, doesn't mean the franchise in on the decline.  It's easy to fix.  I could fix it  And if I can fix it, you can sure bet Disney and LFL can fix it as well.

The decline in developing markets is because those people have no relation with the opening trilogy and watched TFA out of curiosity. They watched it, didn't like it (as they were unfamiliar with the SW world) and didn't come back.

3 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Star Wars doesn't have to exist forever. Let the franchise die if it comes to that point. Kill it if you have to.

We don't have to go that far to see the importance of asian markets. I can bet with confidence that in 20 years from now (maybe less), there will be films to make $2b from Asia alone.

Edited by FantasticBeasts

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Before TLJ came to cinema we asked if it's DOM would be closer to R1 or TFA, with R1 coming out victorious we can look to episode 9.

So will episode 9 be closer to TFA or TLJ?

If TLJ does 630, then the middle point between TLJ and TFA is ~783.5m. So will go with TLJ. 

Spoiler

Unless it's R1 again :hahaha:

• Haha 3

Just now, FantasticBeasts said:

The decline in developing markets is because those people have no relation with the opening trilogy and watched TFA out of curiosity. They watched it, didn't like it (as they were unfamiliar with the SW world) and didn't come back.

And, sequel drop from its predecessor is quite rare in developing countries given the inflation+ market expansion, especially when TLJ was just the "1st" straight sequel from TFA, fatigue shouldn't be issue here yet, not to mention it drop from already not-so good number in these developing countries.....

9 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Before TLJ came to cinema we asked if it's DOM would be closer to R1 or TFA, with R1 coming out victorious we can look to episode 9.

So will episode 9 be closer to TFA or TLJ?

I'd be absolutely shocked if it's not closer to TLJ DOM. TFA has proved to be the zeitgeist. It was an anomaly. So, my answer, without a doubt it will be closer to TLJ.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FantasticBeasts said:

We don't have to go that far to see the importance of asian markets. I can bet with confidence that in 20 years from now (maybe less), there will be films to make $2b from Asia alone.

I'm ok with Star Wars being a dormant franchise 15-20 years from now.

It's an issue, but it's a long term one. For now, Disney just needs to focus on the next movie. The fact that Star Wars can do top 10 grosses without these markets showing up much is impressive in itself. They won't be there forever, but I don't think there's much Disney can do at this point until they get a chance to do another soft-launch where it's less tied to its predecessor. That's where either Rian Johnson's new movies kick in or whatever Kennedy's gameplan is once Ep IX finishes. 

But I'm also not a believer in yearly Star Wars, so if things fizzle out after Ep IX, I'm not gonna shed tears.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Darth Boh-ne'er said:

I'm sure the folks behind Wolf Warrior 2 are super worried about the franchise after it bombed in America with just $2m.

While I agree that China/Asia isn't a huge deal for Star Wars, that's a pretty daft example. Did Wolf Warrior even open wide in North America? Did that studio make any real attempt to majorly cash in other major markets? I don't recall a marketing campaign in the US for it. Maybe it did open wide and was marketed heavily here and I just missed it. Were there big premieres held in the US for it too?

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I'm ok with Star Wars being a dormant franchise 15-20 years from now.

It's an issue, but it's a long term one. For now, Disney just needs to focus on the next movie. The fact that Star Wars can do top 10 grosses without these markets showing up much is impressive in itself. They won't be there forever, but I don't think there's much Disney can do at this point until they get a chance to do another soft-launch where it's less tied to its predecessor. That's where either Rian Johnson's new movies kick in or whatever Kennedy's gameplan is once Ep IX finishes. 

But I'm also not a believer in yearly Star Wars, so if things fizzle out after Ep IX, I'm not gonna shed tears.

Don't see yearly Star Wars fizzling any time too soon. Hell, Star Wars under Disney has yet to have a release earn under $1B WW. So long as they're getting $750M+ WW, they'll keep pumping them out. The merchandising is a huge boost too outside of cinemas. 

42 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Baumer things are plain simple; TLJ is underperforming in Asia and South America which are the 2 most promising and fast-developing continents right now.

No one denied that TLJ was a hit. I am just stating that the way things are evolving it is natural that in a few decades, a big performance in Europe and USA will just not be enough to ensure a massive performance.

There is a reason studios are investing so much in China and we all know it. Of cource it SHOULD be disapointing for Disney what is happening up there.

Unless you want to tell me that a competitive company like Disney cares about short-term profit more than the long-term potential of the franchise...

Something that you seem to forget is that you can't force audiences to love a franchise. I'm pretty sure that if there was a way to make SW more popular in China (or other asian markets), Disney would've found it by now. At some point you have to accept that it's simply not their cup of tea and that's fine. Just like how Wolf warriors 2 broke all sorts of record in China but would probably bomb in any mature market even if marketted properly. Or FF8 being a relatively normal blockbuster in NA while being huge in SA and Asia. Tastes vary and few movies can be popular everywhere (like Avatar).

At the end of the day, TLJ is still going to be the Top WW grosser this year so to me, this shows that SW has the luxury of not depending on Asia (sans Japan) or SA to be among the biggest franchises. If anything, the middling reception of TLJ in NA is far more worrisome than whatever's going on in China.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Don't see yearly Star Wars fizzling any time too soon. Hell, Star Wars under Disney has yet to have a release earn under $1B WW. So long as they're getting $750M+ WW, they'll keep pumping them out. The merchandising is a huge boost too outside of cinemas. 

It's not going anywhere, especially after the new theme park areas.

• Like 1