2 minutes ago, baumer said:

@Krissykins @75Live There's a really cool sounding horror film opening this weekend, albeit probably in like 25 theaters or something.  It's called Death House and it's written by Gunnar Hansen and it stars a veritable who's who of horror from days gone by.  Kane Hodder, Dee Wallace, Tony Todd, Sid Heig, Bill Mosely, Camille Keaton (The original I Spit on Yopur Grave), Tony Moran(the original Michael Myers in Halloween) Vernon Wells (Commando and Mad Max) and a slew of others.  Basically this is supposed to the Expendables cast of low budget horror.  I hope i can find this sometime down the road.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2984576/reference

It’s coming out on Netflix in April. Really looking forward to it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rman823 said:

It’s coming out on Netflix in April. Really looking forward to it. 

That's awesome!  I'll definitely see it then.  Thanks  for letting me know.

How did you find that out?

25 minutes ago, baumer said:

@Krissykins @75Live There's a really cool sounding horror film opening this weekend, albeit probably in like 25 theaters or something.  It's called Death House and it's written by Gunnar Hansen and it stars a veritable who's who of horror from days gone by.  Kane Hodder, Dee Wallace, Tony Todd, Sid Heig, Bill Mosely, Camille Keaton (The original I Spit on Yopur Grave), Tony Moran(the original Michael Myers in Halloween) Vernon Wells (Commando and Mad Max) and a slew of others.  Basically this is supposed to the Expendables cast of low budget horror.  I hope i can find this sometime down the road.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2984576/reference

I'll have to look around to see if any showings are near me or maybe on demand

Edit or Netflix apparently

Edited by 75Live
  • Like 1

What are you guys excited for this year from the studios?

I’m looking forward to Strangers, Hereditary, A Quiet Place, The Nun, The First Purge and of course.... Halloween!

I would be more excited for Truth or Dare I’d the weird cgi on the faces didn’t look so funny. We’ll see with that one. 

5 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I’m looking forward to Strangers, Hereditary, A Quiet Place, The Nun, The First Purge and of course.... Halloween!

I would be more excited for Truth or Dare I’d the weird cgi on the faces didn’t look so funny. We’ll see with that one. 

Literally every single one you mentioned. Might give Truth or Dare a shot since Blumhouse surprised me with Happy Death Day which turned out pretty decent. 

• Like 1

On 2/22/2018 at 8:59 AM, Krissykins said:

For me, I am excited for A Quiet Place, Nun, Halloween, Purge, Unfriended 2, and interested in Truth or Dare!

I didn't know where else to put this, so in a horror thread with other horror lovers seems apropos.

@Krissykins @75Live  @The Stingray  @Boxofficerules @Rman823

I just finished reading On Location in Blairstown...The Making of Friday the 13th.  I liked Friday the 13th immensely before, but now with a lot of info about how it was made, it just makes it that much better.  The reason, imo, that this one and the Final Chapter are so good is because Tom Savini worked on both of them.  

Here's some point form interesting tidbits about the movie:

Sean Cunningham was under immense pressure to get this film made and constantly fought with his Boston investors.  They had initially promised him $500,000 for the film and ultimately they did deliver but at times during production, they were late with payments and things like food was one of the things that had to be cut down.  They went from a hot table to sandwiches with ham and cheese.

Steve Miner and Sean Cunningham produced the film.

Tom Savini was paid $15,000 for the make up effects.  This had to cover his staff and all of his props.  He said he barely made any money on the film but when they asked him back for the Final Chapter, he asked for an exorbitant amount of money and got it.  

Friday the 13th was ripped to shreds by film critics and pretty much everyone in the film community, except the horror community.  When it became a massive hit, people were shocked.  

Sean Cunningham was so disillusioned with his investors (they invested on his last film and they made money off it and Cunningham didn't see any of the profits) that he demanded, and was granted, 25% of any Friday the 13th related profits for eternity.  Steve Miner also signed a deal that gave him a life long cut of the profits, much less than Cunninghams, but once the film became a smash, both men were millionaires over night. This means that Cunningham and Miner have a stake in all the revenues for everything F13th related.  Theatrical, HV, posters, action figures and everything else.  

Tom Savini had one chance to make Kevin Bacon's death work.  Bacon had to sit under the bed with his head propped up through a hole in the mattress, for six hours.  Savini and his team made a mould of his neck and chest.  they then had a tube filled with movie blood sticking up through the mould.  When it came time to film, Savini was responsible for stabbing the spear through Bacon's fake chest.  His assistant was responsible for pressing the button so that the blood would flow through the tube and out of the fake chest.  When ACTION was yelled, it all went well, until the blood had to come out.  It didn't work and if this shot wasn't done properly, it would take them another few days to do it all over again and they didn't have the money for this kind of thing.  The assistant just decided to blow into the tube and it worked.  The blood was supposed to come out in small squirts, but with the blowing in the tube, you got more of a geyser of blood that spewed all over Bacon's mouth.  The effect was amazing and it all worked out because of some quick thinking.

Betsy Palmer, who played Mrs. Voorhees, hated the script, calling it a piece of shit that no one would see.  She only did it because she needed a new Mercedes.  She was paid 10 grand for 10 days work and once filming was through, she thought the film would never even make it to the theatre.  When it became a big hit, she would make more money doing conventions and signings that she had in most of her career up to that point.

One of the actors was Harry Crosby, Bing Crosby's son.

When Kevin Bacon was sought out for the role of Jack, his agent was told that he would have the best part because he gets to have sex with the girl.  hen the agent told Cunningham Bacon would take the role, he said, "Kevin sees that he will get to have sex in the movie.  Kevin likes sex, so he will take the role."

To film the stinger at the end, where Jason pops out of the lake and grabs Alice, this was done in late October, when it was about 45 degrees outside.  The young actor who played Jason, was not wearing a wet suit and was submerged in freezing water for hours at a time.  It turned out to be the most difficult shot in the movie much to Cunningham's chagrin.

Adrienne King, who plays Alice, was paid $758.00 a week.

When Cunninghams friend and mentor, Wes Craven saw a rough cut of the film he said it was okay.  He said it needed some work.  This was before all the sound effects were finished and iconic Harry Manfredini score was not added yet.  When he saw the finished product, he was stunned and told Sean that he had a big hit on his hands. 

Friday the 13th benefited from critics like Gene Siskel giving it 0 stars and calling it misogynistic.  This just got people more interested in seeing it.  When people sat in the theatre and Jason jumps out of the water at the end, some movie goers actually fainted.  This kind of horror had never been seen before.  

Friday the 13th made 39 million for Paramount and another 40 million overseas, in its FIRST YEAR.  It continued to play at drive ins world wide for about a decade and the money kept coming in.

Of all the people who worked on the film, career wise, Only Tom Savini's career took off after f13th.  Bacon obviously had a huge career but not because of F13th.  But Savini's work was legendary and he was next approached by the new kids in town, Harvey and Bob Weinstein, to work on their new horror film called The Burning.  Steve Miner did get to direct some mainstream films as well, and did direct Halloween H2O.  So I guess he did well also.   

I'll do some more if anyone actually reads this.

• Like 3

@baumer

I always like behind the scenes and background stuff like that.  One of the reasons I like blu rays and dvds when they have tons of special features.  I can see the movie any time, I like the extra stuff when I choose to buy.

I may have to check out the book you were referring to in the above post

• Like 1