DAJK

DAJK's Best and Worst of 2017

# 12 Best Movie of 2017

The Big Sick

tumblr_p1e9nxVLXV1rdqbfro8_500.gif

Rotten Tomatoes score: 98%

Domestic Box Office: $42.9M

''The Big Sick" has a big heart and shows there are still corners left to explore in romantic comedies; it just takes someone willing to find them.'' - Adam Graham, Detroit News

''The film's deep empathy for all its characters makes it even more heartfelt on re-watch. The humor looks better too; there are so many great jokes in this, it's impossible to anticipate them at all.'' - @Poe Blankeron

My take - I thought I would like this movie, I did not think I was going to love it. The Big Sick has got one of the biggest hearts of any movie this year. It is endearing, uplifting and funny, but also sad and sometimes sobering. While I was planning on watching The Big Sick again before the end of last year, I just never got around to it, and I really wish now I could remember some details I would love to talk about.

Basically, this movie from the get-go makes you care about all the characters. All the characters. The movie gives everyone their moment to shine and leave their mark on their story. Some genuinely hilarious moments keep you entertained while the movie is busy delivering the heart of its story. While this teachnically is a rom-com, it feels like so much more than that when you're watching it. The Big Sick covers themes of cultural identity, parental relationships, commitment, and forgiveness. And because it isn't enough to just address these themes, The Big Sick digs into them, and has everything play towards the story. 

A gem of summer 2017, The Big Sick in its own way broke out big, bigger than I was expecting at least. I am very glad I got the chance to see it, and am still in the process of trying to convince a few of my friends to check it out. 

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 6

# 11 Best Movie of 2017

Wonder

Wonder%20-%20film%20-%20Jacob%20Tremblay

Rotten Tomatoes score: 85%

Domestic Box Office: $127.7M as of this writing

''Bullies and frenemies don't get served so much as given quiet moments to confront their own mistakes.'' - Joshua Rothkopf, Time Out

''Sure it's corny but for the most part, it works. I liked that the story is told from different pov's. Like, what it's like to be the sister of a kid with facial deformity? What's it like to have to be perfect all the time because you know your parents can't handle any more problems.'' - @La Binoche

My Take - A movie that really deserved to catch on the way it did, Wonder was a heartwarming triumph to everyone involved. Chbosky is going to be getting a lot more work in the future for sure, Wilson and Roberts were great as usual, but Tremblay man. That kid is going to grow up to be an a-list star I'm telling you. And this movie will be watched for years as the ''Remember that movie Tremblay did as a kid''. 

The writing is smart here too. It doesn't paint a picture of good and evil when it comes to school bullies; as we've always been told, everyone is faced with their own inner demons. This movie treats even the antagonists and just regular people with problems of their own that they have to deal with. And you don't have to have a disorder or deformity of your own to relate with and connect with this movie, because it looks at situations of loneliness and bullying from multiple perspectives. I remember times back in middle school where I felt exactly like Auggie in this movie. As I'm sure we all have at some point, you catch a friend saying something about you behind your back, or you feel completely like the outsider and feel like there's nothing you can do about it. Later on in high school too, when my sister's anxiety got so bad I felt like I had to be perfect so that my parents didn't have anything else to worry about, and this movie covers that aspect as well with the sister's story.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that this movie is phenomenal at the way it portrays these circumstances. Wonder also displays our interconnections as family and as friends and how one person can profoundly affect the lives of others, taking on the task at describing what that entails. And by the end of this movie, you feel so happy inside and so warm that it just makes you want to cry, or at least for me it did anyway. I know that there were some people out there saying this movie was manipulative, but I did not think it was at all. I thought Wonder was a very real and often poignant look at battles that all of us face through the eyes of Auggie.

• Like 6

# 10 Best Movie of 2017

American Made

1-1.gif

Rotten Tomatoes score: 87%

Domestic Box Office: $51.3M

''"American Made" really does deserve to be on a double-bill with "Top Gun," and I'm betting Cruise knows it.'' - Ty Burr, Boston Globe

'' One of the first things to note about the film is that right from the beginning its style is evident, as the Universal logo is cut to a pop-song blasting.'' - @Fancyarcher

''The beginning of the movie is a bit wonky with the editing but once the story gets going it gets good.'' - @BOOYAH SUCKAS

My take - Edge of Tomorrow was flippin amazing, Ghost Protocol was incredible, I enjoyed Oblivion quite a bit, MI5 was overrated but still good, and Jack Reacher 2 was fine. I'd say Cruise has a pretty good track record lately of anything that doesn't have the word mummy in it. And now with American Made, he proves once again that he's still got it, and that he still stars in some of the best movies around. American Made is a hell of a good time; it's fun, it's faced paced, it's funny, it's exciting, the intriguing, insane, intense... the whole package. 

Whatever you might want to say about the historical accuracy of some of the details of the film, even the true story that this is based off of is absolutely insane. American Made gives you a piece of yarn to pounce on, but pulls it away last second, bringing you to yet another outlandish sequence in the overall story of Barry Seal. The movie almost teases you throughout the narrative, pretty much making you ask ''what's next''. Cruise is great in the role, but I would say the real star of this movie is Liman. His direction, along with the awesome editing of this movie truly make it stand out. War Dogs for example I thought was pretty great, but American Made takes that type of movie one step further with its own unique voice.

There wasn't a single second in American Made where I wasn't fully engaged and entertained. The charm of the characters tears you apart from wanting to root for them, and knowing in the back of your mind that what they are doing is completely and utterly wrong. If, for nothing else, you watch American Made if you haven't seen it before, it is the kind of movie that ends leaving you sitting there going ''huh... wow.'' It's truly an incredible story, made even better by its charm and wit. The next thing Cruise does, I'm there. And the next thing Liman directs, I'm there opening night. 

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

Pirates didn't randomly change its aspect ratio twenty times during one action scene.

Don’t you realize that’s an artistic choice to represent the changing times and how it effects our perspective view of the world?

#TLKISANARTMOVIE

• Astonished 1

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

You get that pure, unchained Gore in the sequels. True Verbinskirs know this.

The sequels are very good, but you have to give the most credit to the film that allowed all the unchained Gore to happen.

also, true Verbinskirs have actually seen all his films.  films such as The Weather Man, A Cure for Wellness, and of course, Mousehunt.

9 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

The sequels are very good, but you have to give the most credit to the film that allowed all the unchained Gore to happen.

also, true Verbinskirs have actually seen all his films.  films such as The Weather Man, A Cure for Wellness, and of course, Mousehunt.

True Verbsinkis know he’s not that good of a director.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

So I take it you've also seen The Mexican?

Just now, That One Guy said:

Ah, you're one of those heathens too?

The first POTC is the best POTC and no other answer is tolerated.

Truthful answer:  Been a damn long time since I've seen the PotC flicks, but at the time I thought 2 & 3 were better than 1 and I really liked 1. Just liked the story arc for the characters and the payoff.  From what I recall, I also liked how Weird and Wacky 3 got.  I'm a sucker for that sort of thing.

Don't get me wrong, 1 was a wild ride.  Just appreciated the story of the other two more. One of these days I'll watch them all again and see if my opinion changes or not.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Truthful answer:  Been a damn long time since I've seen the PotC flicks, but at the time I thought 2 & 3 were better than 1 and I really liked 1. Just liked the story arc for the characters and the payoff.  From what I recall, I also liked how Weird and Wacky 3 got.  I'm a sucker for that sort of thing.

Don't get me wrong, 1 was a wild ride.  Just appreciated the story of the other two more. One of these days I'll watch them all again and see if my opinion changes or not.

You should watch all of them again because the first is a classic.  DMC and AWE are both fun rides (DMC is an A- and AWE is a B ) but I don't think I can name many blockbusters that are better than COTBP.

Edited by That One Guy

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

You should watch all of them again because the first is a classic.  DMC and AWE are both fun rides (DMC is an A- and AWE is a B ) but I don't think I can name many blockbusters that are better than COTBP.

I can name at least two. DMC and AWE

• Haha 1

If it means anything, don't worry, POTC5 is NOT in my top 10 of the year ;)

Sorry this has taken so long. I planned on cranking out like 5 or six tonight but I just got swamped in homework and studying that I really had to push this back. Will try and do a few tomorrow, but more than likely I'll be doing a bunch on Tuesday after my lectures. Thank you guys for being so patient for continuing to keep with this thread :)

• Sad 1