DAJK

DAJK's Best and Worst of 2017

41 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

As bad as the POTC franchise may have gotten, it is still leagues above any of the Transformers movies.

Nah. Neither are particularly good, but the unhinged madness in the Bayformers movies give them a spark of life. Pirates 4 and 5 are just total nothings.

• Like 1

Apologies for not getting around to the posting spree I had intended on today. School is school, and my annotated bibliography isn't going to write itself :( 

This list will be finished soon though I promise 😂

• Like 1

Pirates is objectively worse than Transformers in every way.

I feel like if it wasn't for the theme (there are loads of sci fi action movies, not very many pirate movies) more people would understand this.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2018 at 4:55 AM, DAJK said:

# 2 Worst Movie of 2017

The Bye Bye Man

latest?cb=20170118030053

Rotten Tomatoes score: 23%

Domestic Box Office: $22.4M

''Pure incompetence.'' Tim Brayton, Alternate Ending

''God damnit this had potential. Anyway... The Bye Bye Man starts off promising but completely collapses due to a bad screenplay and inauthentic acting.'' - @somebody85

My take - A much worse film than A Cure for Wellness, but a much better experience watching the movie. My theatre played it for 1 week for one showing a night, and almost every day it was empty or had 2-3 people in it. So the last night it was playing me and about six other staff members went and saw it, and thankfully we were the only ones in there, because we had a fucking ball watching this thing. Throwing popcorn, laughing, taking videos of each other, pretty much everything a staff member shouldn't do, but we did clean up after ourselves, and no content of the movie was filmed don't worry ;)

To tell you the truth, we all started watching it trying to get into it. I was in the mood for a horror movie, and had my fingers crossed this wouldn't be all that bad and worth at least a few scares. Holy shit, this has got to be one of the most incompetent, unprofessional movies I have ever seen in a cinema. In grade 11 social studies, my group made a political party project where we had our own Purge, and the 1 minute segment we filmed for that had more tension and scares than this piece of shit... and that video was meant to be funny.

Awful acting, bad direction, no tension whatsoever and truly laughable dialogue wastes what was a pretty decent premise. The fact that the title 'the fucking bye bye man' isn't the worst thing about it is saying something. I want to thank this film though for giving me a good time with my friends, so there is that. 

hahahaha

# 9 Best Movie of 2017

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2

source.gif

Rotten Tomatoes score: 83%

Domestic Box Office: $389.3M

''Vol. 2 might just be the most fun to be found in a movie theater thus far this year. It's a great sign that there's plenty of inventive life left to be found in the saturated superhero genre.'' - Carl Kozlwski, Pasadena Weekly

''I dug it a lot. It's grown on me a lot last couple of days. James Gunn indulges himself a bit too much at some points but overall I really liked what he did with it. Definitely the most stylish MCU film.'' - @aabattery

''Frankly, I don't see what could be wrong. Definitely my favorite Marvel movie along with Winter Soldier and GOTG1.'' - @Fullbuster

My take - Who knows, maybe a lot of people will agree with me on this one, maybe a lot of people will completely disagree. I know quite a few people in my life who love this movie, and I know some who really don't like this at all. For what it's worth, it got my mom to the theatres despite initial hesitation and she loved it, someone who absolutely hates anything that isn't ''realistic''... now why she likes Liam Neeson movies I have no clue. 

SPOILERS AHEAD Sure, Guardians 2 wasn't quite as good as the first movie. It didn't have that element of surprise at how good it was that the first one did. Some of the jokes were re-hashes of things that were genuinely funny the first time around, but could barely manage more than a chuckle the second time. I did not like the story arc with the gold people, and I wish the villain was a bit more grounded than a freaking living planet. But whatever, I loved pretty much everything else about this movie. It was extremely fun, the characters were great, it was laugh-out-loud funny many times, and genuinely exciting even for someone who is at the movies twice a week at least. 

The stack of characters these movies feature is a stroke of genius by Marvel, and a risk that paid off hugely. Not only do we get funny situations between them, but there's also a lot of heart here. Yondu's death is genuinely one of the most heart-wrenching moments in the entire MCU, and his funeral scene is also spectacular. The soundtrack is fantastic, and I'm very glad they included one of my favourite songs during one of the most integral scenes - Father and Son by Cat Stevens. Not only does the song fit perfectly with what is happening in the film, but it also connects strongly to me personally.

From someone whose favorite movies are Big Fish, Tarzan, Spider-Man etc., its fitting that a movie that has a central theme surrounding the relationship between a father and son would hit hard with me. And it did. Guardians 2 is one of Marvel's best, and one that I will re-watch by choice, not just because Infinity War is coming out in a few months.

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 7
  • Disbelief 2

# 8 Best Movie of 2017

Spider-Man Homecoming

giphy.gif 

Rotten Tomatoes score: 92%

Domestic Box Office: $334.2M

''If "Spider-Man: Homecoming" is to be judged solely on its ability to unite a diverse audience behind a fun motion picture, it seems to have succeeded wildly.'' - Matthew Rozsa, Salon.com

''It was pretty good. It still can't hold a candle to Raimi's perfect Spider-Man 2 but it's better than both amazing spider-mans.'' - Joel M

My take - ''Woah, that was awesome''

Long-time Spider-Man fan here. Take what I say about this series with a grain of salt, because TASM2 I would say is better than TASM1, and I loved Spider-Man 3. So that's whose opinion you're dealing with here. But this movie was a hoot and a half. Tom Holland brought a lot of charm to the role, and it was great seeing someone younger finally cast in the role. While it was also great to finally have a Spider-Man movie set inside the MCU, I wouldn't even say that that was the best part of the film, because Homecoming was a fun, thoroughly entertaining movie on its own. 

With the combination of Marvel humor, as well as typical Spider-Man charm, Homecoming felt like a super refreshing take on the character. They skipped the origins and got right to the meat of the story, which I thought contributed greatly. Michael Keaton was great in the film, and the twist with his character was hilarious and admittedly unexpected. Like any blockbuster, there are some flaws in the storytelling, and the characters aren't examined to a depth that they would be in a typical Oscar-bait movie, but Homecoming was perfect for the type of movie that it was. 

The combo of this and Guardians 2 has be unbelievably excited for Infinity War in a couple months, and I'm sure Marvel is going to knock it out of the park again in a few weeks with Black Panther. I'm no fanboy to Marvel specifically, but I really love a lot of the movies that their characters have been featured in. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 2

# 7 Best Movie of 2017

Coco

giphy.gif

Rotten Tomatoes score: 97%

Domestic Box Office: $198.6M as of this writing

''Not only is it a wholly original story, but it also honors a culture that's so often overlooked by the movie industry. That alone might have made it a hit, but Coco has so much more to offer.'' - Stephanie Merry, Washington Post

''I cried my eyes out.  Fuck you Pixar for making me feel this way.'' - @That One Guy

''The emotional beats, at least one had me in tears. The one in the end had me openly bawling, it was beautiful, and happened to hit the right emotional strings on my heart, about family and remembrance.'' - @RandomYojimbo

My take - I'm not even sure if Coco is in my top 10 Pixar movies of all time, that's how incredible this studio is at churning out quality, and emotionally gripping films. While it may not have ''opening of Up moment'', nor does it have quite the engagingly fun re-watchability of The Incredibles, Coco offers a little bit of everything Pixar is good at. And with some Mexican culture and a beautifully told story about remembering your family, Coco was an incredible movie. 

I lost my grandmother last year, and I remember the last time I saw her. She was laying in her bed in the hospital and my dad, uncle and I had to say goodbye. I was the last one to leave the room and made sure I gave her another hug and tell her I love her before I left. And I looked back as I did, trying to remember every detail of her smile, knowing that it would be the last time I ever saw her  (alright I gotta stop because I'm pretty much crying typing this). Anyways, the point I'm trying to get at is that Pixar always seems to have a way with their films connecting to you personally, and Coco really did that for me, telling a story that honours our family but also shows us the way to carve out our own paths in life. A story about memories and forgiveness and longing, it just resonated with me much more than I had thought it would.

The animation is beautiful, the voice work is awesome, and the songs are heartfelt and catchy. The film's ability to follow a three-act structure, but also have those three acts all seemingly blend into one in many ways helps this be one of the best-paced movies I've seen this year. Not once was I sitting there bored, as I was always smiling, laughing, or crying during this movie. A true gem that I hope gains the following it deserves. 

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 7

# 6 Best Movie of 2017

The Disaster Artist

the-disaster-artist-trailer-gif.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Rotten Tomatoes score: 92%

Domestic Box Office: $20.5M as of this writing

''Funny -- sometimes brutally -- and surprisingly touching, it works whether you've seen the source material or not, though there are plentiful shout-outs to die-hard fans.'' - Sara Stewart, New York Post

''Hilarious movie. Franco was fantastic. The crowd I was with though really was into it. Damn there were some laughs.'' - @BoxOfficeZ

''James Franco disappears into the role of Tommy Wiseau. This was pretty much a role he was born to play. The rest of the cast, especially Dave Franco and Seth Rogen, were very good too. I was very pleasantly surprised at how emotional it got towards the end.'' - @Rorschach

''If you have any fondness for The Room, this is a must see. Was surprised with how emotional it was in areas. It almost felt awkward watching it knowing all of this actually happened.'' - @somebody85

My Take - Oh hai Mark. Too many good gifs from this movie to only include one.

I'm pretty sure most people on this site either liked or loved this movie. And for good reason; The Disaster Artist isn't just one of the most hilarious, crazy and insane movies this year, but it's simply one of the best. Featuring what I'd say is the stand-out performance of 2017, as well as some great supporting performances, a hilarious script, and a truly heartfelt ending, The Disaster Artist has pretty much what everyone would want from a movie like this.

Sure, the movie is funny. And we all sort of expected it to be. It makes fun of The Room for sure, and even Wiseau as well. But the movie clearly has an eye for what's really going on here, and that its the lengths some people will go to succeed in something they are truly passionate about. It's fun to laugh at Tommy sometimes, and at the amazingly horrible film he made, but in a way it is also kind of endearing watching these two guys try and navigate through Hollywood, eventually realizing they would have to make a push themselves. Thing's don't always go your way but hey, that's just life.

The last few minutes of this movie alone are some of the most heartfelt I've seen this year. Coming from someone who is at that stage in life where they have no idea where they want to go or what they want to do, there's something great about watching somebody basically try and take the industry by the balls, and take moviemaking into his own hands if he wants to become a star. There's something to be said about human motivation, and how hard we will try and get the things that we want. 

The Disaster Artist is just as funny as I'd hoped it would be. And is an even better movie than I thought it would be. I really hope Franco doesn't get snubbed for at least a nom here, and I wouldn't actually mind this being a major awards player in other categories. But I shouldn't get my hopes up yet. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

# 5.1 Best Movie of 2017

Molly's Game

giphy.gif

Rotten Tomatoes score: 81%

Domestic Box Office: $24.4M as of this writing

''This is a "Game" that couldn't be more fun to watch.'' - Calvin Wilson, St Louis Post-Dispatch  

''...fits in with movies like The Wolf of Wall Street and The Big Short in that you don't need to know about the topic (in this case, poker) to be entertained by it. This is definitely a Sorkin production: not many writers have such a remarkable way with dialogue like he does.'' - Filmlover

My take -  Just going to start off with referencing the quote from filmlover above, and that I agree 100 percent with this part of their review, in that I've got absolutely no clue how poker works, yet I was still entertained by the movie. Bravo.

Anyways, I had initially included this on my list of 'wish I had been able to see before making this list' movies. And since I took so damn long to finish this thing, I actually got to see Molly's Game... just in time too, since I have it as my number 6 movie of the year (bumping everything below down one spot, but I'm not going to go around changing all of those). My god was this movie fascinating. I was engaged with every second of it, every line of quippy dialogue, every remark made by each character whether verbal or non-verbal. The movie actually makes you feel really smart as a viewer as well, which is something I really appreciate as a viewer, that rather than talking down to us, it brings us up to its level. 

The performances were all fantastic, but I would say the real champion of this is Sorkin. We all know the guy is one of the best writers around, but who knew he was also one of the best directors! I'm down to see whatever he puts out next, as he can take a story which I would have no clue how they would make a movie out of, and make it one of the most gripping, interesting, and entertaining movies of the year. 

Minor spoilers ahead, but nothing near movie-ruining.  On top of the brutally exciting story, this movie also brought a touch element of a father-daughter relationship, and how it plays out over the years. My favourite movie is Big Fish, which is a father-son story, and there are elements in here that resonated with me, even just by looking at the relationship between my dad and my sister. Also, after doing some research, I realized that Michael Cera's ''Player X'' is pretty much not-so-loosely based on Tobey Maguire, which, finding this out after the movie, gave a whole other layer of depth to the story. Damn good movie, highly recommend it. 

FROM THE STUDIO THAT BROUGHT YOU DEN OF THIEVES :sparta:

• Like 7
  • Disbelief 1