Ezen Baklattan

BOT Golden Globes - Ceremony Discussion Thread!

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Cool story bro.

Well its important to note that these are "Critics" awards and therefore are pretty irrelevant.

The Oscars and the various guilds are peer awards and the various groups, like Best Director, can only be voted by the peers of that award.

Directors vote for directors, Actors vote for actors, producers vote for producers etc.

You would hope they have a better understanding of what makes something/someone deserving.

9 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Greta Gerwig deserved a nom over Scott.  I mean come on

100%, especially given her film was both nominated and won for best picture - comedy/musical, and Scott's film was not even nominated for best picture - drama. It was very awkward when she presented the very next award, and then gave a speech via the best picture award.

It's not as though this was standard either, the various critics and indie awards that have been happening since November have regularly had her as a nominee or even winner of BD, the Globes snub was baffling.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KJsooner said:

Kinda surprised The Post or Shape of water didn’t win best picture! Went to a controversial movie. At least CMBYN didn’t win.

It was bad enough when an undeserving movie like Moonlight won over La La Land. ML only won bc of the BLM/SJW people last year.

So true. Its as if they had already had the oscar made for La La land then when the racist card was thrown (as they love to do) they felt like they had to give it the oscar.

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Measuring television relevance in 2018 by ratings is so stupid and has been for at least three years. Everything is declining, from live sports to scripted tv. It's good as a point of comparison, though, and the Oscars are still the highest rated non-NFL broadcast of the year every year that isn't a presidential election year. 

But keep doin that strawman argument because seeing women and black people do okay pisses you off so fucking much.

Oscars lost a lot of popularity due to its TDK snub, that was the moment it dawned on the GA that they didnt need out of touch viewers telling them what movie was best.

As for your final paragraph, thats stupid, i doubt people care if the films deserve it. One question i have though, why is it most of these black award movies always go on about racism? 12 years a slave, moonlight, get out, detroit, selma, i mean for once can we have a black movie that isn't about racism? 

Just now, Mrwick said:

Oscars lost a lot of popularity due to its TDK snub, that was the moment it dawned on the GA that they didnt need out of touch viewers telling them what movie was best.

As for your final paragraph, thats stupid, i doubt people care if the films deserve it. One question i have though, why is it most of these black award movies always go on about racism? 12 years a slave, moonlight, get out, detroit, selma, i mean for once can we have a black movie that isn't about racism? 

Clearly you were in a coma when this movie came out last summer:

The faces of four women, framed by the legs of another person in the foreground

1 hour ago, Mrwick said:

So true. Its as if they had already had the oscar made for La La land then when the racist card was thrown (as they love to do) they felt like they had to give it the oscar.

I'm sick of this shit being lobbed at deserving films like Moonlight. You disqualifying films because you can't imagine they won on their own merit, no, they had to win because of "PC" or some other ridiculous excuse you made up. 

Let me ask you. Who the hell is "They" in that "as they love to do"?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Boxx93 said:

Natalie Portman's comments really where unecessary and to be quite honest pathetic. Awards are not there to fill a fucking quota. Blaming the nominees for no female nomination does not help your cause just like femenisim attacking men for the sake of it does not help either when your whole narrative is about equal opportunities. And even if I do agree that Greta Gerwick (or Katherin Bigelow) could have make it to the list, by making that stupid comment you ruin the moment of the winner (In this case Del Toro witch he totally deserved). Not to mention very hypocrite on her part doing that when she phrased well known child rapist Roman Polanski just like hypocrite Meryl did.

Portman rightfully called out Gerwig snub. It was embarrassing. I don't know what HFPA were thinking and that has nothing to do with quota. They thought Lady Bird was the best Comedy movie yet the director was snubbed. Why? if they thought it was good enough to be one their 2 BP winners, why the director didn't make the line up like the director of the Drama winner?  Is it because they consider Comedy to be lesser than drama? Oh, wait, never stopped them from awarding David O Russell movies and nominating DOR in the Director. 

• Like 1

I know I am going off topic but since this has already gone political I would like to talk about some personal experience about how feminism can go to the wrong path and it pretty much applies for all the groups that try to favour minorities.

As some of you may or may not know, I am a chess player in competitive level. Chess is a mental game that requires no phisical ability and thus there really is no factor favouring men against women. Despite that, women are for reasons I won't go in depth performing worse than men with only 1 woman being in the top 100 right now. And because of that there are seperate prizes for women in most tournaments as well as some female competitions only. This means that a woman that is in the top 10 of the women's world list right now is making more than double the money that a male player of the same strength does since he will not even be among the top 100 players. I believe that's reverse sexism and very unfair.

First of all for the women actually who are undermined that way. I believe that there isr danger of this happening on a smaller extent to most of the fields where minorities can end up achieving more with less work. We are actually on exactly the opposite right now so don't get me wrong. I am just stating that an extreme attitude that I see some SJWs applying can have opposite equally negative results.

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

no shock there.  I think it's one of those years that the GA really didn't care most of the films nominated (yes I know there is tv stuff too, but I think most care about the movies) so there was no draw.

Plus let's face it, there was always going to be a tiny percentage of people that weren't going to watch due to the "movement" or being offended by it or some crap like that.  I think that is one of the dumbest, most idiotic reasons not to watch, but you know there were some people that did that.

7 minutes ago, 75Live said:

no shock there.  I think it's one of those years that the GA really didn't care most of the films nominated (yes I know there is tv stuff too, but I think most care about the movies) so there was no draw.

Plus let's face it, there was always going to be a tiny percentage of people that weren't going to watch due to the "movement" or being offended by it or some crap like that.  I think that is one of the dumbest, most idiotic reasons not to watch, but you know there were some people that did that.

I think that people don't watch cause those shows are so outdated. They are too self-congratulatory which is boring to anyone outside of self-congratulatory circle, they don't even award the best and considering their penchant for less seen but politically trendy nominees and winners, it's hard to follow when you don't know over half the titles and names. Audiences moved on with times while these shows didn't hence continuing drops in viewership. IMO, they should just tweet the winners and have ceremonies in private which will happen eventually cause nothing can bring back the viewership. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1