filmlover

BAFTA Nominations

53 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

god BAFTAs are such a mess this year

Parasite missed on editing so it's not winning this (also missed on everything below the line, doesn't seem like it's getting Roma like support).

1917 misses on screenplay, Marriage Story only gets 4 noms, no POC in any of the acting categories (not even Jlo??? or any of the cast of parasite..)

Irishman gets in everywhere but De Niro gets snubbed (do they like everything in the movie except the lead?? this happened with the globes and SAG too ).

the good surprises were Klaus in animation and the lighthouse in cinematography. I liked seeing Portrait and For Sama in the international category as well but this seems like a mostly a meh BAFTA season. 

the industry love for Joker is insane 

Firstly yes there are two POC nominations, for Awkwafina (chinese or whatever she is) and Michael Ward (black), in the Rising Star award.

Anyway why should the actor categories be non-white? Is it not possible that people just thought those 5 in each category were the best they had seen?

You might also like to know that Parasite does not release until February and most people have not heard of it

Edited by Avatree

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

Firstly yes there are two POC nominations, for Awkwafina (chinese or whatever she is) and Michael Ward (black), in the Rising Star award.

Anyway why should the actor categories be non-white? Is it not possible that people just thought those 5 in each category were the best they had seen?

You might also like to know that Parasite does not release until February and most people have not heard of it

I could somewhat subscribe to that line of thinking if they hadn't nominated Robbie and Johansson TWICE, especially the former in the same category. This isn't an outlier either: BAFTA is notorious for overlooking some POC when it comes to big awards e.g. Denzel Washington never being nominated and Barry Jenkins failing to get a Director nomination for Moonlight. 

I'm absolutely thrilled for Jessie Buckley. Her turn in Wild Rose is one of my top 5 favourite performances from an actress and I was also lucky to see her perform here in Dublin last June where she was brilliant. She has a bright future ahead of her.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

OUATIH - FILM
1917 - BRITISH FILM
MAIDEN - DEBUT 
PARASITE - FILM NOT ENGRISH
APOLLO 11 - DOCUMENTARY  
FROZEN 2 - ANIMATED 
1917 - DIRECTOR 
OUATIH - ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
LITTLE WOMEN - ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
JUDY - ACTRESS 
ROCKETMAN - ACTOR 
MARRIAGE STORY - SUPPORTING ACTRESS 
** ROBBIE TWICE IS NONSENSE **
OUATIH - SUPPORTING ACTRESS 
JOKER - ORIGINAL SCORE
OUATIH - CASTING 
THE LIGHTHOUSE - CINEMATOGRAPHY
OUATIH - EDITING
1917 - PRODUCTION
LITTLE WOMEN - COSTUME
ROCKETMAN - MAKE UP & HAIR 
1917 - SOUND
AVENGERS ENDGAME - VISUAL EFFECTS
IN HER BOOTS - BRITISH SHORT ANIMATION
GOLDFISH - BRITISH SHORT FILM
AWKWAFINA - EE RISING STAR AWARD

24 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Get that screenplay nomination, Booksmart!

I think it could get the last spot (Knives Out, Parasite, OUATIH, and Marriage Story are locks). The Farewell being ineligible for the WGA and the BAFTAs not caring about the movie (I'm guessing its because a film like The Farewell doesn't really appeal to the Brits which also happened to Moonlight) killed a lot of momentum for the movie while 1917's WGA nom seems like a one-off nomination (like Black Panther last year).

Edited by lorddemaxus

39 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I think it could get the last spot (Knives Out, Parasite, OUATIH, and Marriage Story are locks). The Farewell being ineligible for the WGA and the BAFTAs not caring about the movie (I'm guessing its because a film like The Farewell doesn't really appeal to the Brits which also happened to Moonlight) killed a lot of momentum for the movie while 1917's WGA nom seems like a one-off nomination (like Black Panther last year).

Oscar nominations voting period closes today, do you think the shortened season will have an effect on how much the guilds and the BAFTA (+globes) will influence the Oscars? 

Oscar nominations are usually a couple of weeks after the BAFTA noms (and more later after the globes)

BAFTA has a crossover membership with AMPAS so it doesn't matter whether AMPAS voters see BAFTA nominees, BAFTA crossovers landed their votes to AMPAS line up. Which will show on 13th in nominations for Ronan and Pugh for sure, maaaybe Pryce too (since they got SAG snub) among other things.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Avatree said:

You might also like to know that Parasite does not release until February and most people have not heard of it.

5 in each category? Two of the Supporting Actress slots are the same person.

We really needed two Margot Robbie (Australian or whatever she is) nominations there?

Edited by Ithil

1 minute ago, Ithil said:

5 in each category? Two of the Supporting Actress slots are the same person.

So even if the voters thought that Margot Robbie's performances were fantastic, Margot does not deserve to win awards because she is white?

2 minutes ago, Ithil said:

Jesus Christ what is this post.

Explain yourself then? As I said, if those 5 performances are what people genuinely thought to be the best performances, then why does it matter whether they are white or black.

Am I correct in assuming that you would not be calling the voters as racist for voting in two Lupita Nyongo performances in the same category?

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

Explain yourself then? As I said, if those 5 performances are what people genuinely thought to be the best performances, then why does it matter whether they are white or black.

Am I correct in assuming that you would not be calling the voters as racist for voting in two Lupita Nyongo performances in the same category?

But the thing is there are POC performances this year more deserving than some of the nominations listed. So they don’t have excuse to not have a diverse lineup. Other than having a preference for white people. 

I am not buying the idea you have to nominate PoC like a legally binding contract.

If PoC only got nominated because of the diversity/ inclusion obligation, they will forever been seen as PoC before a talented artist. 

That being said, i don't see how Lupita in Us, ZhaoShuzhen is the farewell achieved lesser than the nominees here.

it is a very strange situation here, when 10 equally "qualified" great performance fighting for just 5 slots. Other factors like familiarity, image, publicity or personal preference will slowly come into play, which always put PoC in the disadvantage position.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

But the thing is there are POC performances this year more deserving than some of the nominations listed. So they don’t have excuse to not have a diverse lineup. Other than having a preference for white people. 

How can one performance be "more deserving" than another?

Other than what an individual preferred.

Which is completely subjective.

Also have to factor in which performances people have actually seen. It's fine to say that X black person should have been nominated but if no one has seen the movie, then they're unlikely to be nominated.

Awards are completely irrelevant and arbitrary and people like you who get upset about there not being a quota of dark skinned nominees, you are being racist.

Us made a paltry 13M in UK so it was not going to get any traction no matter how many USA critics bestowed awards upon Lupita. Some movies that are big phenomenon doemstically just don't click outside of USA and that reflects on nominations. By comparison, Joker made an astounding 72M in UK so in a combo with strong reviews from Brit press it was expected to crack Top 5. which it did with flying colors. 

point being, local boxoffice is important. 

6 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I am not buying the idea you have to nominate PoC like a legally binding contract.

If PoC only got nominated because of the diversity/ inclusion obligation, they will forever been seen as PoC before a talented artist. 

That being said, i don't see how Lupita in Us, ZhaoShuzhen is the farewell achieved lesser than the nominees here.

it is a very strange situation here, when 10 equally "qualified" great performance fighting for just 5 slots. Other factors like familiarity, image, publicity or personal preference will slowly come into play, which always put PoC in the disadvantage position.   

Zhao Shuzehn in The Farewell. She has never acted in anything before. Literally no one has ever heard of her.

Performance may be good in your opinion (or bad in others opinions), but she is a no name actor, in a film very few people saw.

FYI, The Farewell was a complete flop in the UK (home of the BAFTAs which we are discussing) and barely got a release.

If she does not get nominated, that is not due to racism. It is due to low profile.

Certain people need to stop blaming racism for their favourite performances not making it to the award nominations.

Edited by Avatree