Alli

Weekend Thread | 3-day estimates (per BOM): J 27M, TP 18.6M, TC 13.45M, I:TLK 12.14M, TGS 11.8M, TLJ 11.28M, P2 10.62M, PM 10M

‘Jumanji’ Leads MLK Weekend With $27M+; ‘The Post’ Makes Headlines With $22M+; ‘Proud Mary’ At $18M

@DAJK there a ya go

http://deadline.com/2018/01/the-commuter-proud-mary-jumanji-paddington-2-mlk-weekend-box-office-1202241724/

ouch @ Paddington - only 17m for the 4-day

Edited by narniadis
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 1

Just now, Boxofficerules said:

Is Proud Mary doing better than expected? Also what about Insidious Chapter 4?

Depends on who you ask - PM had potential to open over 20m IMO - but they campaign for it was terrible, like a lot of films lately.

• Like 1

That's really rough for Paddington. Hopefully it can get to 4M after evenings, not sure what went wrong there...

Pretty much expected for Commuter and Mary, I still wish Post was doing better

• Sad 1

The Post's opening is obviously strong but not what I wanted, goddammit!

Weak for Paddington. Y'all should have headed my warnings.

That's great for Proud Mary, but it may collapse tomorrow with the WOM it's having.

The Commuter is landing where I expected it to. Hopefully it lands squarely between 11 and 12M because I switched to the latter in the Derby :lol: 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

They paid $30m for distribution and they probably didn't pay much for P&A so it'll make a decent profit and they'll have first dibs on Paddington 3. 

Yeah, they won't lose any money on Paddington likely. I think they can market the third film much easier and better, especially since they'll have more time.

14 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

Is Proud Mary doing better than expected?

$18M would be pretty good all things considered. It likely didn't cost much so it'll go down as a minor hit for Taraji, which is more welcoming to see than the latest throwaway Liam Neeson action thriller doing so.

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

It has to be. Entertainment Studios has aired over 3,800 ads for it :ohmygod: Thieves and 12 Strong only have 1,450 and 1,260 respectively

I mean I just came back from the gym, and I saw an ad for Hostiles that was trying to push its Oscar chances (I like the film, but lol). I can believe that. We're gonna see an epic PTA for it next weekend, I'm sure

• Like 1

Paddington should have been a shoe-in for 20m - particularly since the first did 25m but what do I know. The advertising campaign was weak and started way too late but that wasn't really WB's fault - only thing they really could have done was push it to a later time but I get why they wanted to keep the date.

Noooooo Paddington. 

:whosad:

I guess the gimped marketing campaign really might have had a big effect on it. 

On the bright side, maybe it can pull some kind of crazy 6x+ multi or something with an OW that low. 

Meh for all the other openers too and really didn't expect that big of a drop for Jumanji this weekend. Looks like some of us got a bit ahead of ourselves with 350+.

TGS on the other hand continuing to do crazy things.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Also @WrathOfHan I saw PP3 last night and yea, Hailee Steinfeld is fucking gorgeous in that movie. Never really noticed it till now

QUEEN :cloud9: 

People on here have said the movie gives the shaft to any Bella that isn't Anna Kendrick or Rebel Wilson, so that's killed a lot of my interest. I'm so behind on movies and unlikely to see it in theaters.

6 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I mean I just came back from the gym, and I saw an ad for Hostiles that was trying to push its Oscar chances (I like the film, but lol). I can believe that. We're gonna see an epic PTA for it next weekend, I'm sure

tbh I think it'll open above Den of Thieves. The ad push has to get it to at least 5M, right? RIGHT?

• Like 1

Deadline's Friday Estimates/Projections listed for those who don't want to dig through the article (and for whomever updates the title):

The Post - 6.25M
Jumanji - 5.5M
Proud Mary - 5M
The Commuter - 3.8M
Paddington 2 - 3.3M

Peace,

Mike

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2