Alli

Weekend Thread | 3-day estimates (per BOM): J 27M, TP 18.6M, TC 13.45M, I:TLK 12.14M, TGS 11.8M, TLJ 11.28M, P2 10.62M, PM 10M

15 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Greatest Showman, a new standard for powerful legs?

No a terrible one to use.

It will be an exception and not something to compare movies too, it had both a small depressed OW that started on a Wednesday and a Christmas release, chance are that we go an other decade without legs like those for an over 2,500 theater wide release.

Edited by Barnack

Bored rn, so here's how many tickets each movie sold at my theater today:

The Post: 238

Commuter: 148

Jumanji: 106 (67 2D/39 3D)

Showman: 105

Darkest Hour: 93

Star Wars: 63 (49 2D/14 3D)
Proud Mary: 57

Molly: 32 (the last show at 8:30 only had one seat sold)

Insidious: 29 (one show sold nothing)

Money: 23

Paddington: 19 (one show sold nothing)

Ferdinand: 2 (one show sold nothing)

Pitch Perfect: 1 (3/4 showings were empty :hahaha: )

2017 is a pretty strange box office year. The overall weakness of summer makes it pretty exceptional. Even with TLJ's legs being subpar, it's still a year where the top two films were easily outside of summer.

Looking back, other years where that happened with the top 2:

2014... which is weird, because American Sniper

2001 (HP1 and FotR were a formidable holiday force)

1992 (Aladdin and Home Alone 2... which remains a film that was surprisingly much more successful than I thought it was)

1987 (Three Men and a Baby won the year, but Fatal Attraction was a strong #2... and was released in September of all months)

And that's it. Every other year going back to 1980 has at least one summer film in the top 2.

But wait, there's more.

Jumanji stands a fairly slim, though not insignificant chance of out-earning Wonder Woman's 412m. If it does that, it'll mean the top 3 for the year are all on-summer releases. That has never happened. (At least going back to 1980 in Mojo.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AndyK said:

Has she got a Rotten Tomatoes account?

Every little bit helps.

Might want to get her a Metacritic user account too.    TLJ has a weak 4.6/10 there.

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/star-wars-episode-viii---the-last-jedi

Someone needs to invent a new conspiracy theory to explain that one away to keep alive the idea that only a small minority dislike the film.

Pretty evident what good word of mouth looks like during Christmas season.   It looks like Jumanji and Greatest Showman.

• Like 1

anyone know why Call Me By Your Name only has reported Monday holiday grosses?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=callmebyyourname.htm

Theater counts went up 50% from those previous two Mondays, where as the per theater average dropped by 50%.  Looks like the weekend grosses might stay around the 1m mark no matter how far they push the theater count.  it should probably double it's gross though to 15 million IMO

2 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

Theater counts went up 50% from those previous two Mondays, where as the per theater average dropped by 50%.  Looks like the weekend grosses might stay around the 1m mark no matter how far they push the theater count.  it should probably double it's gross though to 15 million IMO

Don't know but appears other Sony Classics films only have reported weekend grosses. e.g. whiplash

Too small to report on every day for whatever reason. or maybe BOM is just broken, like usual.

When Jumanji gets to 360m, WONDR + IT + Jumanji combined dom will hit

412.5 + 327.5 + 360 = 1100m

JL + SW8 + TF5 combined will be 

227.5 + 620 + 130 = ~977.5m

(and Jumanji should go well above 360m imo)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, a2knet said:

When Jumanji gets to 360m, WONDR + IT + Jumanji combined dom will hit

412.5 + 327.5 + 360 = 1100m

JL + SW8 + TF5 combined will be 

227.5 + 620 + 130 = ~977.5m

(and Jumanji should go well above 360m imo)

Jumanji will do better than King Arthur, Ghost in Shell, Valerian, Geostorm, Jigsaw, xxx3, baywatch, Smurfs combined, so what? 

12 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

It would have to inexplicably just stay flat with the original's 200m in China, only hit about 250 DOM (around a 70% admissions decrease guesstimating 2020 year end ticket prices), and then fall an otherworldly 50%+ from the $1.8b the first made 11 years prior in non-China/DOM gross. It would be one of the biggest big budget disasters ever if that happened. 

Isn't that similar to Alice Through the looking Glass? The abandonment of 3D and the way worse exchange rates could account for most of that. Also, one has to assume that there is still interest, no movie's gross is subject to the previous, the previous just serves to show how much interest there was for the franchise at the time of it's release. I think that Avatar's run, with all it's 3D, and being 12 years ago, is not that great a picture of how much interest there is. It's not like Star Wars where the popular culture influence is incredible, there are not many people clamoring for the sequel. I wouldn't rule out those incredible drops from the first, all around the world, that you mentioned. I think 1.5 billion is a win for it, and the sequels will only go lower.

40 minutes ago, ThiagoMaia said:

Isn't that similar to Alice Through the looking Glass? The abandonment of 3D and the way worse exchange rates could account for most of that. Also, one has to assume that there is still interest, no movie's gross is subject to the previous, the previous just serves to show how much interest there was for the franchise at the time of it's release. I think that Avatar's run, with all it's 3D, and being 12 years ago, is not that great a picture of how much interest there is. It's not like Star Wars where the popular culture influence is incredible, there are not many people clamoring for the sequel. I wouldn't rule out those incredible drops from the first, all around the world, that you mentioned. I think 1.5 billion is a win for it, and the sequels will only go lower.

Avatar was why Alice in Wonderland and other movies benefited converted to 3D. Avatar's influence in getting other movies converted to 3D is huge. Barring a rare movie folks could not get 3D to pull people in theaters in big numbers and Avatar changed that. It was not benefiting from someone's 3D trend but setting it itself, that's how it's different from AiW. Also the director is the same and has huge name recognition. On top of that the bo trend of Avatar as an original sci-fi was amazing and not comparable to other original/non-original blockbusters.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

SPC doesn't report daily numbers.

• Like 1