Eric Atreides

West Side Story | 10 DEC 2021 | RIP Stephen Sondheim | Comes to Disney+ March 2nd

On 1/19/2018 at 7:33 PM, Jonwo said:

I imagine it'd be Indy then West Side Story, as good as Spielberg is, there is no way he could direct a musical like he directed The Post while Indiana Jones is in post production.

I like the original film and the musical but I wonder how you can make it different as you have to keep the Jerome Robbins choreography and I imagine you can't alter the story either. 

Knowing Spielberg he'll probably keep the songs in tact. He's a big fan of the original musical. He might update the songs for a 21st century perspective though. I also love the idea of Williams arranging Bernstein.

On 1/26/2018 at 5:35 PM, dudalb said:

Laurents wrote the play,Robert Wise directed the film.

But agree that Laurents play is pretty good,and most of it was retained for the 1961 film. Hope Kushner knows enough to leave well enough alone.

But Stephan Sondheim is still around....

I was referring more to Laurents disliked Sam Mendes' 2003 Gyspy Revival so much that he staged 2009's Revival with Patty LuPone.  (Which was EXCELLENT.  We got to see that live and she was a stunning force.)

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 6:07 PM, CoolioD1 said:

lin manuel miranda has probably already written 4 new songs for this and no one's even asked him to be involved yet.

I like Miranda, but, frankly, any new songs is an absolute deal breaker for me.

Tim Burton approached Danny Elfman to do some original songs for "Sweenty Todd" but Elfman refused, saying anyone would be crazy to try to improve on Sondheim. Mirnad should do likewise with Bernstein and Sondheim.

Edited by dudalb

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:25 AM, Fancyarcher said:

Knowing Spielberg he'll probably keep the songs in tact. He's a big fan of the original musical. He might update the songs for a 21st century perspective though. I also love the idea of Williams arranging Bernstein.

If any updating of lyrics is to be done, I think Spielberg's first choice would be for Stephan Sondheim to do it......