The Wild Eric

West Side Story | 10 DEC 2021 | RIP Stephen Sondheim | Comes to Disney+ March 2nd

What a poor bump. My god. GB in its 5th week nearly beat it (930k). Don't think it will even touch 50M domestic now. I hear its good. I know Spidey can be blamed but it needed a 15M opening and a better hold on top of that. Its midweek numbers were middling and now fell off a cliff in the 2nd weekend. Should settle a bit from there but from such a low base it wont matter much.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

The death of the adult drama in theaters right here

I guess its going to streaming and 10M at the box office for most adult dramas now. Once in a while something with real buzz will "break out" to 50M (Gucci) but in past days that hit 100+ (1917, FvF etc) 

4 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

I guess its going to streaming and 10M at the box office for most adult dramas now. Once in a while something with real buzz will "break out" to 50M (Gucci) but in past days that hit 100+ (1917, FvF etc) 

It will be difficult to rebuild trust from the older audiences who are reluctant to return to theaters-especially when a new variant every few months. And I'm afraid by the time the trust is regained, the majority of non-IPs, etc will just be streaming as you mentioned. I mean, Fox has made it very clear they're not interested in these. They'll do the bare minimum for the David O. Russell movie in November. 

4 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

It will be difficult to rebuild trust from the older audiences who are reluctant to return to theaters-especially when a new variant every few months. And I'm afraid by the time the trust is regained, the majority of non-IPs, etc will just be streaming as you mentioned. I mean, Fox has made it very clear they're not interested in these. They'll do the bare minimum for the David O. Russell movie in November. 

We knew it was slowly transitioning to it but covid and streaming and lockdowns really accelerated it. These streamers just need content and will throw money at anything for it. It would be ok if it was across the board but its not. Horror and comic book movies survive and animated looks like it will as well. But adult dramas are bearing the brunt of it. They are maybe 1/4 of what they were.

1 hour ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

1 hour ago, Ronin46 said:

I said this before, only to get yelled at for EmpireCity for daring to say this, but I do think adult dramas/awards hopefuls/indies will still get a theatrical release. Those capitalist studio bastards still like greenlighting these kinds of films for awards opportunities/adding prestige to their studio catalog/streaming service...they'll just become  day-and-date theatrical/PVOD hybrids. It's still far from perfect and has some implications, but at this stage in the game, it's certainly better than nothing.

6 minutes ago, Eric Osborn said:

I said this before, only to get yelled at for EmpireCity for daring to say this, but I do think adult dramas/awards hopefuls/indies will still get a theatrical release. Those capitalist studio bastards still like greenlighting these kinds of films for awards opportunities/adding prestige to their studio catalog/streaming service...they'll just become  day-and-date theatrical/PVOD hybrids. It's still far from perfect and has some implications, but at this stage in the game, it's certainly better than nothing.

Yeah it feels like a 2 week theater release then streaming/VOD now? That is the Netflix and Apple model which is mainly to appease the directors and give them some theater play

5 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Yeah it feels like a 2 week theater release then streaming/VOD now? That is the Netflix and Apple model which is mainly to appease the directors and give them some theater play

Yeah basically. And Cinemark's willing to play ball and get Netflix movies in their theaters. I'm sure them and the other chains will cut a decent deal with the studios that pump out the product that keeps their lights on so that things aren't limited to just arthouses and mom-and-pop theaters.

• Like 1

It's a bad drop yes, but 100% on Spider-Man. The dailies during the week were rather solid until Thursday (unsurprising for a movie with a naturally older audience), when it lost all IMAX/PLF formats (which made up 1/3 the opening weekend) and was then shoved from the biggest theaters to the smallest ones. Mentioned earlier that both this and Nightmare Alley had sellouts at the theater I saw Spider-Man at yesterday but since they only had 50 seat auditoriums to work with, it didn't mean much. Limited theater space and a long running time that limits the number of shows per day (which both of those movies have at 150 minutes long each) due to one movie gobbling up 2/3 of entire multiplex space puts you in a tough situation. We'll see what the holiday numbers look like - FWIW one of my most frequent theaters is putting it back into a fairly decent-sized auditorium on Christmas Day as they've been finalizing their schedule and has already sold a nice amount of seats so far (more than The King's Man has for the big day, lol that movie is such a bomb in waiting).

Encanto being the only movie yesterday to see a good hold is likely because it was both a compatible title for families sold out of Spider-Man to see and the fact it's almost an hour shorter than the average movie out right now (most of which are super long).

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 3

On 12/18/2021 at 1:14 PM, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Sadly I agree, which will mean I will be going to the movies a lot less.

itt's sad. I was a skeptic bout this movie but was bowled over when I saw it.

In  retrospect, the marketing could have been a lot better. The trialers did not sell me on the movie at all, it was the reviews and WOM that got me to buy a ticket.

Can't blame Spidey. Not sure Spidey hurt it that much after that opening weekend.

Edited by dudalb

On 12/19/2021 at 7:51 AM, Ronin46 said:

What a poor bump. My god. GB in its 5th week nearly beat it (930k). Don't think it will even touch 50M domestic now. I hear its good. I know Spidey can be blamed but it needed a 15M opening and a better hold on top of that. Its midweek numbers were middling and now fell off a cliff in the 2nd weekend. Should settle a bit from there but from such a low base it wont matter much.

its good but a total unnecessary remake. the original, remains timeless.

Edited by Halba

This saddens me.  West Side Story was my favorite movie of the year, and I hope it gets a lot of Oscar nominations.  The fact that no one cared to go out and see it is a shame.  I understand the pent up demand for Spiderman, but good movies like West Side Story, even The Last Duel, which also bombed, were great movies.  What's going on with the audiences?

34 minutes ago, Master Dodsen said:

This saddens me.  West Side Story was my favorite movie of the year, and I hope it gets a lot of Oscar nominations.  The fact that no one cared to go out and see it is a shame.  I understand the pent up demand for Spiderman, but good movies like West Side Story, even The Last Duel, which also bombed, were great movies.  What's going on with the audiences?

We can watch those movies on our nice 75 inch 4k HDR tv at home. Nobody wants to watch a remake of West Side Story at the IMAX. We've moved on.