Eric Duncan

West Side Story | 10 DEC 2021 | RIP Stephen Sondheim | Comes to Disney+ March 2nd

https://deadline.com/2019/03/corey-stoll-brian-darcy-james-join-steven-spielbergs-west-side-story-1202578409/

On the eve of the Disney-Fox merger, Fox’s Steven Spielberg West Side Story has tapped Corey Stoll to play Lieutenant Schrank, the New York City detective charged with quelling civic unrest in his racially-torn precinct, and Brian dʼArcy James to play the iconic role of Sergeant Krupke, the cop whose beat includes the territories of warring street gangs, the Sharks and the Jets, and who is the target of a classic Stephen Sondheim musical put-down.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

"Dear Kindly Segreant Krupke, Of course we understand,

It just our bringing upsky that gets us out of hand

Our mothers are junkies, our fathers all are drunks.

Goodness Gracious, Natually we're punks'

One of favorite songs from West Side Story and some of Sondheim's best lyrics ever.

• Like 1

I just watched some youtube clips from the original (haven't seen the whole film), but the choreography looks so difficult. I wondered if Ansel Elgort can do it. Then i googled and found out he used to do ballet. the boy can dance

• Thanks 1

in the original film maria and tony basically have no choreography anyway. natalie wood and richard beymer sure weren't professional dancers. all the choreography sorta happens... around them.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

in the original film maria and tony basically have no choreography anyway. natalie wood and richard beymer sure weren't professional dancers. all the choreography sorta happens... around them.

From what i understand this is not a remake of the original movie. It's gonna be based on the play. I wonder if Elgort will have more dancing to do in this version. I think he can handle it

• Like 1

Curious as to where Fox Disney plans on putting this since I'm guessing Spielberg won't crank it out in time for a year end release this year and Christmas 2020 seems too far away (plus Avatar 2 is already there). They should aim for late July where Hairspray and the Mamma Mias succeeded, maybe July 31 as counterprogramming against Morbius.

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Curious as to where Fox Disney plans on putting this since I'm guessing Spielberg won't crank it out in time for a year end release this year and Christmas 2020 seems too far away (plus Avatar 2 is already there). They should aim for late July where Hairspray and the Mamma Mias succeeded, maybe July 31 as counterprogramming against Morbius.

Things could change due to Disney, but Fox has almost always had at least two movies in December (2014-2017 had three, although stuff like Revenant, Hidden Figures and The Post were limited debuts). 2018 was an exception, but that was due to Bohemian being pushed up and Alita pushed back. 2019 was also supposed to have two, but Death on the Nile was pushed to 2020 due to filming delays. I don't see why West Side doesn't at least debut limited on Christmas Day 2020, regardless of Avatar 2.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Alli said:

I just watched some youtube clips from the original (haven't seen the whole film), but the choreography looks so difficult. I wondered if Ansel Elgort can do it. Then i googled and found out he used to do ballet. the boy can dance

Damn...he is so fucking bland.

Unseasoned chicken and white bread and mayo...

• Knock It Off 1

10 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

Things could change due to Disney, but Fox has almost always had at least two movies in December (2014-2017 had three, although stuff like Revenant, Hidden Figures and The Post were limited debuts). 2018 was an exception, but that was due to Bohemian being pushed up and Alita pushed back. 2019 was also supposed to have two, but Death on the Nile was pushed to 2020 due to filming delays. I don't see why West Side doesn't at least debut limited on Christmas Day 2020, regardless of Avatar 2.

I guess it depends on how much they feel like sitting on a finished movie for so long unless they really think this is gonna end up a major Oscar player, which I doubt.

8 hours ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Damn...he is so fucking bland.

Unseasoned chicken and white bread and mayo...

Was this type of comment necessary? It gets a little old hearing white actors/ actresses described as Mayo or white bread. 

• Like 2

I don't know if all the people in the original outside of the leads were broadway proffesionals but it looked like it, because the dancing in that movie is INSANE. If the choreography is anywhere close to the speed and energy of the original I doubt Ansel or any other actor without legit dance training will be in them.

They are not the kind of dance numbers that a non-proffesional dancer can fake his way through. It will have to be edited like Liam Neeson jumps over a fence in Taken 2, if they want their leads to be more involved in dancing and also not make a fool of themselves.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2019 at 12:04 PM, Joel M said:

I don't know if all the people in the original outside of the leads were broadway proffesionals but it looked like it, because the dancing in that movie is INSANE. If the choreography is anywhere close to the speed and energy of the original I doubt Ansel or any other actor without legit dance training will be in them.

They are not the kind of dance numbers that a non-proffesional dancer can fake his way through. It will have to be edited like Liam Neeson jumps over a fence in Taken 2, if they want their leads to be more involved in dancing and also not make a fool of themselves.

The background characters (especially the Jets and Sharks) had to be and Chakiris, Tamblyn and Moreno were all dancers.  That and they had Jerome Robbins choreographing and co-directing.

Great dance is so undervalued in musicals and film in general.  We need a Top 100 Dance scenes in movies topic

• Like 5

So far, it looks like the only film definitely coming out in December 2020 is Avatar 2 (Disney has an untitled live-action film set for the 23rd, which I've heard nothing of, and Sing 2 is still set for the 25th, despite there being almost no information about it other than that).

This film could opt for an early December release-the 4th, or the 11th. Or they could put it somewhere in November (or limited release in December and going wide in January). 

A late summer release could also be viable, so long as it stays away from Nolan's release date.

On 4/6/2019 at 12:59 PM, TalismanRing said:

The background characters (especially the Jets and Sharks) had to be and Chakiris, Tamblyn and Moreno were all dancers.  That and they had Jerome Robbins choreographing and co-directing.

Great dance is so undervalued in musicals and film in general.  We need a Top 100 Dance scenes in movies topic

tbh the dancing and choreography are really where WSS sings. I think the rest of it is fairly dated (though Rita Moreno and George Chakiris are rad).

I take that back: Wise has some interesting and innovative choices with lighting, blocking, and composition. 

• Like 1