Eric Atreides

West Side Story | 10 DEC 2021 | RIP Stephen Sondheim | Comes to Disney+ March 2nd

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Age of consent doesn't matter when it's rape, dumbass.

True, but if  the girl is underage you can add "assault on a minor" to the rape charge.

No matter the age of the girl, if this pans out to be a valid charge the actor..and the movie..are in really deep crap.

• Like 1

Sigh. I see the court of public opinion is already in session. Let's wait on the validity of the claims before we do any cancelling, shall we?

I'd say this on Twitter too but that's a lost cause. Blue check marks all over are embarrassing themselves as usual.

• Knock It Off 4

I think recasting at this point is probably impossible  without adding massive costs to the movie (which I don't think Disney is anxious to do );I suspect they and the movie, if the charges stick, are pretty much screwed.

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

Sigh. I see the court of public opinion is already in session. Let's wait on the validity of the claims before we do any cancelling, shall we?

I'd say this on Twitter too but that's a lost cause. Blue check marks all over are embarrassing themselves as usual.

Yeah, let's wait and see what happens;

but I do think recasting and reshooting are probably off the table no matter what..THis ain't like that movie they reshot with Plummer.

Edited by dudalb

Just now, dudalb said:

I think recasting at this point is probably impossible  without adding massive costs to the movie (which I don't think Disney is anxious to do );I suspect they and the movie, if the charges stick, are pretty much screwed.

I think everyone involved will act like grown ups and move forward until the claims are verified and Ansel is actually charged.

Just now, dudalb said:

Yeah, let's wait and see what happens;

but I do think recasting and reshooting are probably off the table.THis ain't like that movie they reshot with Plummer.

I agree, especially with a movie like this as you said. If Ansel is indeed guilty, the movie is toast.

10 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Unfortunately, that’s not how the Internet operates in a post-MeToo era. Once the Internet hears something scandalous about a person, the immediate assumption is that the person is guilty. The Internet in general thrives on cancel culture. It’s the bread and butter. Twitter is the most egregious example of this, but the problem is prevalent for the rest of the Internet as well. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

4 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I think everyone involved will act like grown ups and move forward until the claims are verified and Ansel is actually charged.

Marketing for the movie is going to be in limbo until the situation clarifies itself.

But Ansel actully is charged;IMHO Disney and Speilberg are pretty much screwed.

I was always a skeptic on this movie; remaking a Oscar winning classic is always really, really rolling the dice and I am not sure people would be that interested anyway.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JB33 said:

What are you waiting for Elgort to say "yup I did it, it was me!" ?

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

What are you waiting for Elgort to say "yup I did it, it was me!" ?

Uh, no. I'm waiting for some sort of investigation to take place and then waiting to see if he's actually charged and then convicted? Have we completely forgotten the concept of due process and how a court of law works in the age of cancel culture?

14 minutes ago, dudalb said:

But it also would not be easy for Disney's executives to say no to Spielberg. If the latter insist to reshoot, it could be very dramatic thing

3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Uh, no. I'm waiting for some sort of investigation to take place and then waiting to see if he's actually charged and then convicted? Have we completely forgotten the concept of due process and how a court of law works in the age of cancel culture?

It's the court of public opinion. There's never been due process in the court of public opinion (see Fatty Arbuckle for more details).

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

SInce when has public opinion felt compelled to follow the rules for due process?

You also might have the situation where it turns out not quite to be rape, but still puts the guy in a hard light.

You are pretty nieve if you think that due process of law is applied when ti comes to the court of public opinion.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

But it also would not be easy for Disney's executives to say no to Spielberg. If the latter insist to reshoot, it could be very dramatic thing

Spielberg does not have the kind of clout he once does.

4 minutes ago, 35MM-18 said:

It's the court of public opinion. There's never been due process in the court of public opinion (see Fatty Arbuckle for more details).

THIS.

The rape charges against Errol Flynn in the 40's are another example. He was acquitted, but his reputation..and career, never really recovered.

I agree it's unfair, but expecting public opinion to behave like a court of law is very,very, unrealistic.

And, as I states it very much possible that what happened does not justify legal charges, but still makes the guy look really bad.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

SInce when has public opinion felt compelled to follow the rules for due process?

You also might have the situation where it turns out not quite to be rape, but still puts the guy in a hard light.

You are pretty nieve if you think that due process of law is applied when ti comes to the court of public opinion.

I am aware, and that's my entire point. I realize we can't avoid the court of public opinion but that's why I'm counting on the grown ups - aka the studio, Spielberg, etc. - to not engage in that and wait for due process, like how WB handled the Johnny Depp situation leading up to Fantastic Beasts 2.

Let Twitter and woke folks cancel away. They have no power but to rage amongst themselves (so long as nobody caves to it - I know that they in fact do have a lot of power nowadays with people in power caving ).

Edited by JB33

39 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I don't know if you've seen the news lately but guilty people escape legal action all the time