Eric Atreides

West Side Story | 10 DEC 2021 | RIP Stephen Sondheim | Comes to Disney+ March 2nd

I have to agree this feels totally unnecessary. The original film is hugely popular, readily available and also not so old that it would be inaccessible to modern audiences if they were interested but hadn't seen it yet. I guess the only major update is that the actors won't be dubbed but honestly does anyone care/notice... This is like remaking The Sound of Music. 

• Like 3

The potential for this, box office wise was huge. Mary Poppins 2 did 170M. The pandemic ruined its chances. The good news is that they didn't start their marketing last year, so the movie will be fresh when it releases in December.

Edited by Maggie

Unless something weird happens with the xmas box office like Spider-Man AND matrix capturing the zeitgeist and doing 400M apiece (or SM doing 500M) and sucking all the air out of the box office, I do think this will be a good mid sized hit.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

I have to agree this feels totally unnecessary. The original film is hugely popular, readily available and also not so old that it would be inaccessible to modern audiences if they were interested but hadn't seen it yet. I guess the only major update is that the actors won't be dubbed but honestly does anyone care/notice... This is like remaking The Sound of Music. 

And no brownface but the original film is so old and it’s so blatant that we kinda just give it a pass.

I just cannot imagine an audience that’s eagerly waiting for another version of this. 

Yes, casting ethnically accurate actors is an upgrade but the politics of the story and some of the lyrics definitely belong in the 60's so I'm not sure how much they'll even get for "updating". Unless they plan on totally rewriting 'America' lol

FWIW there was a "grittier" adaptation of the musical that premiered on Broadway last year (and was cut short by the pandemic) that took a more "modern" approach to the material. Think I read somewhere that some of the extra actors in this version were also in that production. Given that the play has been revived a handful of times over the decades and Spielberg is clearly going straight to the original source (and by extension, the 1961 movie) as the blueprint for his version, it might have been worth checking out for those that wanted a truly "different" take on the story.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 3:15 PM, Rebeccas said:

Yes, casting ethnically accurate actors is an upgrade but the politics of the story and some of the lyrics definitely belong in the 60's so I'm not sure how much they'll even get for "updating". Unless they plan on totally rewriting 'America' lol

Unless they got Stephan Sondheim to do the rewrite, that is a bad idea.

On 6/12/2021 at 1:41 PM, AJG said:

And no brownface but the original film is so old and it’s so blatant that we kinda just give it a pass.

I just cannot imagine an audience that’s eagerly waiting for another version of this. 

I still think Spileberg would have been better off choosing a great Broadway musical which had a weak film version rather then remake one that is highly thought of and  well remembered.