Eric Duncan

West Side Story | 10 DEC 2021 | RIP Stephen Sondheim | Comes to Disney+ March 2nd

27 minutes ago, bleachella said:

Spielberg really should work with some other cinematographer than Janusz Kaminski (I assume he's doing this one too?). His style fits well for many dramas and such but stuff like Indiana Jones or West Side Story, not so much.

According to Empire, it's Kaminski. Weirdly enough, IMDb doesn't have anyone listed as a cinematographer.

As for potential replacements for Kaminski, I'm drawing blanks. It can't be Deakins or Lubezki, because they're pro-digital and Spielberg's pro-film. Maybe van Hoytema or John Schwartzman.

West Side Story maybe is too old and not as huge as other musicals from the 60s to be instantly recognizable by GA today but it also left a big mark on the culture when it was released and some of the songs are still very iconic. I watched it 2 years ago for the first time and I already knew the melody and a few lyrics from three different songs without having any idea that they were from this movie. Many people that don't know or remember the '61 movie will hear America or I feel Pretty in the first teaser and go "huh that's from this movie?"

I can see it doing LLL/Showman numbers if it has decent reviews and is even a marginal awards contender.

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:23 PM, MrPink said:

I do think West Side Story could do well, like 150m. Expecting it to be a fringe awards contender but not sure much more.

Hollywood does a lot of remakes, but seldom gives them awards.

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:05 PM, cannastop said:

The source material is dated as shit.

And how did Mary Poppins Returns do?

That is Shit. No source material is dated if done well.

I have some skepticiam about this project ( I am always skeptical about remaking a genuine classic) but not because the material is dated. If anything, the issue of prejudice against immigrants is more relevelent now then back in 1961. And the Bernstein/Sondheim songs are certainly not dated.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TMP said:

That shot looks like something out of Eastwood's Jersey's Boys

I presume that photo is from the opening number.

Which is another problem: Jerome Robbins choreography is going to be one hell of an act to follow.

10 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

So, what is the demographic for this movie? seems like the material is really old and dated like Mary Poppins

I see this is going be refrain by the ignorant.

I have doubts about this project, but not because the material is dated.

49 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

West Side Story is not huge in terms of musicals of the past ?

Can't think of a movie more famous in that genre ...

Anything made before 2000 is dated. Get with the program.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Futurist said:

West Side Story is not huge in terms of musicals of the past ?

Can't think of a movie more famous in that genre ...

It's huge, iconic and won 10 oscars. But it's also really old. Mary Poppins was even bigger and more remembered because of Disney legacy-pimping through the decades and the new one wasn't that huge. Despite getting tentpole treatment it did less worldwide than LLL and Greatest Showman which were originals with half of Poppins budget/marketing.

1 hour ago, ban1o said:

What a dated song. Can't see this working today at all. 

I'm surprised he's making it a period piece.  The only thing dated is probably Puerto Rican's particular place in NYC in 2019 and that the area they'e all dancing and fighting through is now mostly Lincoln Center.   Otherwise this story about immigrants and resentful/ racist white Americans/Society is currently occurring across America.

But damn that Jerome Robbins choreography and the way the camera moves to make it even more dynamic and the deserved Oscar winning performances by Morena and Chakiris (both who deserved to become big stars - especially Moreno -  after this but..... America) - not sure Spielberg is going to be able to match that.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Alli said:

Poppins did 170M. I believe WSS should do more than 200M. It's Spielberg ffs.

He hasn't had a $200M+ grosser in over ten years and that was a sequel to one of his two iconic blockbuster franchises that had been gestating over almost 20 years. Lincoln was a big hit but that was part of that last hurrah for the blockbuster Oscar contender as the norm before those kinds of scripts started getting relegated to the world of independent filmmaking and streaming. I think anything over $100M+ would be a massive win for this, especially considering the expectations it has to live up to considering it's a remake of an iconic Best Picture winner from Spielberg.