Eric Duncan

West Side Story | 10 DEC 2021 | RIP Stephen Sondheim | Comes to Disney+ March 2nd

49 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I'm surprised he's making it a period piece.  The only thing dated is probably Puerto Rican's particular place in NYC in 2019 and that the area they'e all dancing and fighting through is now mostly Lincoln Center.   Otherwise this story about immigrants and resentful/ racist white Americans/Society is currently occurring across America.

But damn that Jerome Robbins choreography and the way the camera moves to make it even more dynamic and the deserved Oscar winning performances by Morena and Chakiris (both who deserved to become big stars - especially Moreno -  after this but..... America) - not sure Spielberg is going to be able to match that.

That is my concern: Spielberg has one hell of an act to follow.

As for this being dated, I guess anything that is pre 2000 is dated to some people.

As for the constant Mary Poppins Returns reference, that maybe the film was not nearly as a good as the original and was a disappointment had something to do with it's not living up to reputations.

I swear, there are people where who want nothing but a diet of CBM,Sci fi epics, Horror movies and live action remakes of cartoons.

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

I presume that photo is from the opening number.

Which is another problem: Jerome Robbins choreography is going to be one hell of an act to follow.

I see this is going be refrain by the ignorant.

I have doubts about this project, but not because the material is dated.

Anything made before 2000 is dated. Get with the program.

looks like a teenage clothing ad that I see in magazines. Also, was the main actress suppose to be that young? cuz  I hear they got some 17 year old minor for the job.

1 minute ago, The GOAT said:

looks like a teenage clothing ad that I see in magazines. Also, was the main actress suppose to be that young? cuz  I hear they got some 17 year old minor for the job.

That is about how old the character is in the original play. Natalie Wood was actually a bit too old for the role.

5 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

in the what? new original movie?

John M. Chu's movie musical based on Lin-Manuel Miranda's Tony-Winning Musical "In The Heights".   

5 minutes ago, 35MM-18 said:

I heard about that one a few months ago. I believe Spielberg's producing it with Scorsese.

Small world, ain't it?

Irony is that as a composer, Bernstein is best remembered for his Broadway Musicals, while his more "serious" work, his symphonies, etc, are pretty much forgotten.

• Like 1

Honestly I wonder if this is at a disadvantage coming after In the Heights. I love WSS but if In the Heights is a big hit some people could see WSS a pointless. They aren't really similar but they are both musical that take place in New York with some Hispanic/immigrant themes. 

However we have no reason to think In the Heights will be a big hit as of now. It's not a very well known musical  and the cast are all unknowns so it will all depend on marketing. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1

So I dug up my old account for this one, a film crew showed up a week back and started putting up a set in my shared alley with my neighbors up in Washington Heights under the name "San Juan Hill" by 20th Century Fox, which is not a film that exists.. went out back there last night and found all of this and the wall says "Sharks" on it in red letters in several spots.  And then a gentleman followed me through my own alley and told me I wasn't allowed to touch anything and spent the rest of the night in a folding chair outside my apartment.  

Yeah.. I don't think this is "San Juan Hill".  What do you guys think? 

66118915-10157329788877556-4185542713392

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

On 7/13/2019 at 10:04 AM, filmlover said:

So they couldn't cast a full-blooded Puerto Rican actress to play this part?  Hollywood racism persists. 

Advanced issues found

Spoiler

I'm kidding about that, btw.  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ruthie said:

So they couldn't cast a full-blooded Puerto Rican actress to play this part?  Hollywood racism persists. 

Spoiler

Advanced issues found

Hide contents

I'm kidding about that, btw.  

Even if you are joking it's very weird you said this considering, Rachel Zegler, the lead is Colombian and polish and David Alvarez who plays Bernardo is Cuban. Unlike them Ariana actually is Puerto Rican. 

2 hours ago, ban1o said:

Even if you are joking it's very weird you said this considering, Rachel Zegler, the lead is Colombian and polish and David Alvarez who plays Bernardo is Cuban. Unlike them Ariana actually is Puerto Rican. 

I agree, it is weird that I said that.  And your response to my weird post is weird.  The whole conversation is weird.  That's the point.