filmlover

90th Academy Awards nominations

5 minutes ago, slambros said:

Darkest Hour is not a surprise to me. The Academy once chose Bridge of Spies over Carol and The Hateful Eight. In the same way, Phantom Thread is not a surprise either, because over those same films, they chose Brooklyn.

Johnny-Depp-Mortdecai.jpg

3 minutes ago, Kraken said:

They should go back to just letting the branch nominate. And is the option of capping it at 3 gone?

So many animated movies get submitted now that they consistently pass the requirement of 15 for 5 nominees. 

Theoretically the animation branch would do a better job voting, but I'm not sure that would have addressed the problem of Lego Batman getting snubbed.

Edited by tribefan695

4 minutes ago, MrPink said:

On a random bit, I'm really happy Rachel Morrison got nominated for Mudbound, exceptional work there.

Meanwhile, I think Armie Hammer deserved a nomination for CMBYN.

Yeah, that's easily the biggest disappointment for me. Timmy's performance is almost entirely dependent upon him (and vice versa).

Edited by filmlover

No nomination for In the Fade (Aus dem Nichts)... it scored the Golden Globe and the Critics Choice Award. I never quite got the hype at all... but I guess there is a hyped movie each year in Germany that inr eality has no shot at the Oscar :D

Had hoped Armie Hammer somehow got in for CMBYN, indeed.

Edited by ShouldIBeHere

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

christopher plummer kinda only got in for the narrative but i love it anyway. he got that oscar fast pass nominated for a performance he filmed less than two months ago.

Yeah, that's definitely a record that won't be topped any time soon (shortest amount of time between being cast and getting nominated).

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, that's definitely a record that won't be topped any time soon (shortest amount of time between being cast and getting nominated).

he was also the oldest actor to ever win when he got it for beginners and now with this he's the oldest actor to ever be nominated.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, that's easily the biggest disappointment for me. Timmy's performance is almost entirely dependent upon him (and vice versa).

Also, randomly, I really enjoyed Michael Stuhlbarg in Shape of Water.

Come to think of it, CMBYN as well.

He was fine for 5 min in the Post.

They just need to make an award for best actor who showed up in a bunch of good films this year and did a good job

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

So many animated movies get submitted now that they consistently pass the requirement of 15 for 5 nominees. 

Theoretically the animation branch would do a better job voting, but I'm not sure that would have addressed the problem of Lego Batman getting snubbed.

Yeah. They snubbing the first one was criminal. So much better than BH6.

Just now, MrPink said:

They just need to make an award for best actor who showed up in a bunch of good films this year and did a good job

agreed so they can give it to CALEB LANDRY JONES

• Like 4

Just now, MrPink said:

They just need to make an award for best actor who showed up in a bunch of good films this year.

There were a lot actors in multiple films nominated this year. Lil' Timmy Tim, Tracy Letts, Lucas Hedges, Bradley Whitford, and others I'm probably forgetting all have two films nominated each.

1 minute ago, DAR said:

I'm certain that Denzel Washington nom was a little unexpected

He's quickly becoming, as someone said earlier, the male Meryl Streep. Probably the only actors working right now who can coast to noms (or even wins, in the case of Meryl's most recent Oscar) for films that nobody care about based on name alone.