filmlover

90th Academy Awards nominations

I had hoped that the underlying Mudbound noms might lead to best picture. At least we can lay the Netflix bias aside. 

Also with the whole academy voting in animation I think we can see now that the lack of Lego in 2014 wasn't a fluke. Also LBM sucked so there lol. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

He's quickly becoming, as someone said earlier, the male Meryl Streep. Probably the only actors working right now who can coast to noms (or even wins, in the case of Meryl's most recent Oscar) for films that nobody care about based on name alone.

Yeah, I was definitely surprised when they went with Affleck over him last year.  However, that wouldn’t have happened in this years climate.

I hope Shape Of Water and Get Out run the table.

LOLs:

- Armie Hammer is totally the Fetch of Hollywood

- Logan for Best Adapted Screenplay

- Martin McDonagh Denied Best Director

YASs:

- Rachel Morrison for Best Cinematography

- Jordan Peele for Best Director

- Daniel Kaluuya for Best Actor

- The Big Sick for Best Original Screenplay

- An Almost Post Shut Out

- Shape Of Water leading the Nominations

WTFs:

- I, Tonya snubbed Best Picture and Hair & Make Up

- BATB for Best Costumes. Belle’s dress was a travesty

Edited by captainwondyful
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

To think people for a while were saying The Shape of Water had lost all momentum from its Golden Lion win back in the summer and was going to be forgotten come awards season, here it is with 13 noms and certain to win at least several, potentially many of them.

4 minutes ago, MrPink said:

For people who hate the Oscars:

Reveal hidden contents

For those that hate the Oscars:

nSJwfAC.jpg?1

Why are you here?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mrwick said:

So james franco gets snubbed because of aload of bullshit in the media. Hardly fair

he was not in the running in the first place, it was a comedy performance, comedies don't get oscars. If the golden globes did not have a comedy divide he wouldn't have been nominated there either.

Trying to decide if I should nix the spreadsheet or do alterations.  My predicts were only a marginal improvement from last year, and I think the base assumption that Oscar noms are made up by a cumulation of precursors is at the least flawed.

7 minutes ago, New Year New Panda said:

Yeah, I was definitely surprised when they went with Affleck over him last year.  However, that wouldn’t have happened in this years climate.

Why not? Because hollywood are a big bunch of self-congratulating suckers who will leech onto anything that makes them popular and rich?

12 minutes ago, Mrwick said:

I think when someone gets snubbed due to a few attention seekers with a twitter account, it deserves bringing up

I does not matter because the bulk of voting was already done. I think some of y'all need to re-examine your knowledge of how this process works. 

• Like 1