filmlover

90th Academy Awards nominations

-LMAO at Boss Baby (#JusticeforUnderpants)

-Cool to see the Phantom Thread love. Thought it would be ignored completely by Focus, but six noms is pretty dope!

-As expected, I'm floored at the Chalamet nom, but Hammer's snub is extremely disappointing, especially on a pretty mediocre Supporting Actor field.

-Picture race seems to be Shape v Billboards v Lady v Out, so...I guess Birdlady or (the Unexpected Virtue of Angst)

btw my predictions

Picture: Shape

Director: Del Toro

Actor: Oldman

Actress: McDormand

S. Actor: Rockwell

S. Actress: Janney

O. Screenplay: 3billboards

A. Screenplay: Call Me By Your Name

Cinematography: Shape

Production Design: Shape

Costumes: Phantom Thread

Score: Shape

Song: THIS IS ME

Sound: Dunkirk

Sound editing: Dunkirk

Editing: Dunkirk

Make-up: Darkest Hour

Visuals: Blade Runner

Animated: Coco

My scorching take is that I wouldn't even have a single Best Supporting Actor nom in my top ten for that category for the year. And I'm not being contrarian for no reasons, I have plenty of the other three categories represented (DDL, Kayuula, all the Actresses except Robbie, Metclaf, Blige, Manville, Spencer). Best Supporting Actor noms stink. 

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

My scorching take is that I wouldn't even have a single Best Supporting Actor nom in my top ten for that category for the year. And I'm not being contrarian for no reasons, I have plenty of the other three categories represented (DDL, Kayuula, all the Actresses except Robbie, Metclaf, Blige, Manville, Spencer). Best Supporting Actor noms stink. 

i haven't seen shape of water yet but richard jenkins i love richard jenkins in everything so i dunno if i'm gonna follow you there

i'd agree woody/rockwell/plummer do nothing special

willem dafoe is legit my favourite performance of the year in any category so i gotta diverge there.

While Janney was good in I, Tonya, her performance is almost entirely dependent on the writing. She was given the best lines in the film - lines that could have carried any actress to a nomination for the role. I am certain she will win but I’m hoping Blige or Metcalf pull off the upset. 

The other three acting categories are far less interesting and only slightly less predictable. I am wondering if Streep siphons enough votes from McDormand to let Ronan slip in for the win.

Coco for Animated Feature is the lock of the night after Janney.

Given the Academy’s membership, I think Nolan and Dunkirk have an edge over del Toro and The Shape of Water.

Predictions:

Picture: The Shape of Water

Director: GDT

Actor: Oldman

Actress: McDormand

Supporting Actor: Rockwell

Supporting Actress: Janney

Original Screenplay: The Shape of Water (why not?)

Adapted Screenplay: Call Me by Your Name

Cinematography: The Shape of Water

Editing: Dunkirk

Score: The Shape of Water

Song: This Is Me

Production Design: The Shape of Water

Costume Design: Phantom Thread

Makeup: Darkest Hour

Visual Effects: Blade Runner

Sound Editing: Dunkirk

Sound Mixing: Dunkirk

Animated: Coco

I love Willem Dafoe and I really appreciated how natural and believable he was but I don't know that one didn't do much for me. There's a difference between subtle and not enough to do and I felt he was the latter, not his fault. I wish I was hotter on the Florida Project in general it's very pretty and human and I liked it but that shit reminded me wayyyy too much of a voyeuristic version of actual life for family and friends here. I think people outside Florida like that one better, but that's maybe just me. What seems like so real to outsiders seemed kinda like an artificial reading to me. 

He's better than Rockwell though that's for sure. 

Also I totally love Richard Jenkins but he seems to be struggling to find his character in this. I'm glad he didn't overplay it but he kinda doesn't really play it all. 

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

no spoilers but i remember cracking up at how bored woody sounded in his voiceover parts of 3 billboards like he was in the booth reading it for the first time. GOOD NOMINATION.

Y'KNOW I DON'T THINK THOSE SIGNS ARE VERY FAIR

• Like 4

Haven't seen Phantom Thread yet, but as a PTA fan I'm stoked he got the nom and it got BP. Seeing the trailer and then the critical reception, I kept wondering why it wasn't a bigger contender in those categories and most weren't acknowledging it for there. Looked Oscar baity, and TWBB is the last time one of his films got great critical reception. Seems like DDL is his lucky charm. Surprising he was able to knock out McDonaugh though. Hopefully 3B doesn't win BP now, because that irked the hell out of me when Argo won w/o even a BD nom. Just doesn't make any sense to me how something can be BP if they don't even think the directing is worth a nom. 

Yuck at Darkest Hour wasting a BP slot. It's equivalent to The Reader nom, when the movie boils down to one outstanding performance from its lead in an otherwise painfully generic and dull film. Would have gladly taken a Wonder Woman nom instead over that. 

Glad GO got pretty much everything it deserved, just a snub in Editing.  

Blige the biggest surprise of all by far. Wtf, lol? Near the top of the list of their biggest out of the blue acting noms in a long time. 

Hope Shape sweeps and gets BP, BD, and BA in addition to all the tech awards. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2