filmlover

90th Academy Awards nominations

How some guilds lined up:

PGA: 7/9 (The Big Sick, I, Tonya, Molly's Game, and Wonder Woman instead of Darkest Hour and Phantom Thread)

SAG:

Actor: 4/5 (Franco instead of DDL, who had extremely late screeners)

Actress: 4/5 (Dench instead of Streep, who had late screeners)

Supporting Actor: 4/5 (Carell instead of Plummer, who didn't even have screeners)

Supporting Actress: 3/5 (Chau and Hunter instead of Manville and Spencer; the former had extremely late screeners)

DGA: 4/5 (McDonagh instead of Anderson)

WGA:

Original: 4/5 (I, Tonya instead of Three Billboards, which was ineligible)

Adapted: 5/5 (only the second time this has happened this decade after Original in 2013)

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Blige the biggest surprise of all by far. Wtf, lol? Near the top of the list of their biggest out of the blue acting noms in a long time. 

Blige hit a lot of the important precursors, everyone was just unsure if the Netflix stigma would ultimately get her.

• Like 1

Can we put to rest that bullshit about Netflix stigma though? 4 nods is really good they're definitely like a year or two away from best picture nods. I mean cinematography! For a movie most people watched on a laptop or whatever that's pretty good.

• Like 7

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Btw, if you had told me back when I used to watch Peele on MadTv as a teen and thought he was by far one of the biggest wastes of space on the show that he'd be a future BD nominee...

:apocalypse::hahaha::winomg::insane::sarah::ohmyzod::ohmygod:

even when key and peele finished i was calling key as the one who'd break out to do bigger stuff. welp.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 3

just once more

On 3/1/2017 at 4:35 AM, tribefan695 said:

Editorial: Get Out's going to be a footnote by the end of the year. Reception's inflated right now because people are getting caught off guard by a horror movie having blunt social commentary, but once they've thought about it for more than two seconds they'll realize it's just a weak haunted house/stepford wives riff with racism theme window dressing that doesn't even deliver that with any conviction.

Apologies in advance, but you can expect this to be a thing for me this year.

On 3/1/2017 at 1:36 PM, filmlover said:

Even with their great reviews, neither Get Out or Logan is even sniffing a Best Picture nomination. Sorry.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

even when key and peele finished i was calling key as the one who'd break out to do bigger stuff. welp.

Hell, forget back in the MadTV days, if you had told me even just a little over a year ago when Keanu came out we'd be here with him, I'd have the same reaction. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I'm hoping the McDonaugh snub and the 13 noms for SoW indicate a Hawkins win in BA. She really really really needs to win. That's by far the biggest thing I'm most passionate about out of everything this year. 

Well, Frances said in her SAG speech she doesn't want to win, so maybe voters will listen. :lol: I do think we'll have a race if Hawkins wins BAFTA though.

• Like 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

So this year makes it official: The Academy HATES the Lego movies with a burning passion and will nominate just about anything to avoid having one take up a spot in Best Animated Feature.

To be fair, how could you ever turn down a film in which JOHN CENA is the voice of a bull?

• Haha 2