filmlover

Best Actor Predictions 2018

so i'm happy with at least 3 potential nominees in this category 

bradley cooper -

I've been ambivalent on him his whole career , liking and disliking him on a personal level and professional level (doesn't hurt he speaks french it always pulls me back in how down to earth he comes off in that language and oozing sexy ) , sometimes i didn't feel like he earned a nomination but for a star is born it is absolutely well deserved ( i walked into that movie with reservations and set ideas about gaga  and cooper and the movie and walked out of there in tears , heartbroken and overwhelmed total whammy pack punched ). so yeah i would be super happy if he won for best actor but i can see where votes might be split if they also have to seriously consider him for best director . Also worth mentionning i hadn't seen previous versions of ASIB or trailers for this one so i had no clue  what it was about it was just the big movie of the week coming out with recognizable names .

rami malek-

loved bohemian rhapsody , thought he did a really good job , but the film is a bit light not that i minded but compared to the other musically theme film it just doesn't feel like the density is the same . still if he wins i'll be very happy for him , after all actor better than the film getting BP. ( i still have to check out mr robot i started watching a couple episodes then dunno got distracted and never caught up because i would have to rewatch from the start )

viggo mortensen -

here is my other coup de coeur , i was privileged enough to assist to a sneak peak showing of green book in paris with him presenting the film . it was quite the sensation seeing one of your fav actors in person and i was so close to him right up in front where he came to talk in french aww , it was surreal aragorn from lotr within hands reach ( this close to someone who touched orlando bloom arrrghhh excuse the girly girl in me ). Anyway the movie was beautifully done also didnt know anything about it . Some actors will get me to watch anything they're in , he's on that shortlist . Afterwards they were interviewing people coming out and i answered a couple questions and said yes i believe his performance is going to get him an oscar nomination and even the win . SO who knows maybe i will be right in the end !

Edited by ladyevenstar22
  • Like 1

I am not surprised Malek won the BAFTA, mostly because of the subject matters and themes of BoRap and Vice. It is logical that American politics would be the concern of the Americans more than it would be the concern of the British. Nevertheless, this is an important win for Rami Malek, a win that puts him further ahead than he's been before.

Malek makes BoRap a much more palatable movie than might otherwise be the case (in fact all of the actors in that movie do a fine job with what they're given, which admittedly isn't much). It's just not an award-worthy performance, almost entirely because there's just no depth at all. Could've been a worthy win if the script wasn't completely thin and surface level only.

Edited by filmlover
  • Haha 1

You people who think Rami is bad in BR are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Fortunately most people whose opinion do matter seem to disagree with you, otherwise the movie wouldn't have made that much money and Rami wouldn't have been nominated/won these many awards.

Edited by KATCH-2D2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Yeah you can stop right there.

People who love BR (GA and awards members/voters) are the ones who can actually make the difference at the Box Office and the award season so of course their opinions do matter.

Edited by KATCH-2D2
  • Thanks 1

Rami is winning this in a landslide. Not only has he won everything important this season, the NYT talked to 20 anonymous Oscar voters and the LAT talked to a couple more and every single person is voting for Rami except for one who's voting for Dafoe lol. No other category seems to have that degree of uniformity.