filmlover

Best Actor Predictions 2018

1. Bradley Cooper, I Just Wanna Take Another Look At You

2. Christian Bale, Getting Thicc Again

3. Ryan Gosling, Anti-Flag Planter

4. Viggo Mortenson, You People Love the Fried Chicken

5. Rami Malek, Bucktooth Wonder

ALT: Robert Redford, The Guy Who Deserves It the Most, But Probably Won't Get It

Since the final quarter of 2018 starts tomorrow, gonna do my first official round of predictions for the acting categories.

Christian Bale, Vice

Bradley Cooper, A Star is Born

Ryan Gosling, First Man

Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody

Viggo Mortensen, Green Book

Edited by filmlover

I'm taking Malek out now that the reviews for Bohemian Rhapsody have turned out to be pretty weak. He's getting great notices for the movie, but he's not gonna be able to overcome an unloved film from a director with a lot of baggage (the fact he lip-synched all of the singing isn't gonna help his chances either). Meanwhile, I'm starting to think Ethan Hawke has a good shot as someone who the critics and A24's campaign make happen despite his film being a summer release that no one saw.

Christian Bale, Vice

Bradley Cooper, A Star is Born

Ryan Gosling, First Man

Ethan Hawke, First Reformed

Viggo Mortensen, Green Book

• Like 1

Semi-serious, since I know this won't happen in a million years, but Universal should try to campaign for both Moretensen and Ali for Lead. I know Universal wants Ali in Supporting Actor, but both actors are getting praised in a massive crowdpleaser everyone in the festival circuit is loving, it's probably going to have a Wonder-esque run, and Gosling's got an underplayed performance in a movie that's slowly but surely growing to be a "no one cares" kind of movie. It helps give the movie a bit of prestige too since the last movie that had double noms for Lead Actor was...Amadeus?

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

Semi-serious, since I know this won't happen in a million years, but Universal should try to campaign for both Moretensen and Ali for Lead. I know Universal wants Ali in Supporting Actor, but both actors are getting praised in a massive crowdpleaser everyone in the festival circuit is loving, it's probably going to have a Wonder-esque run, and Gosling's got an underplayed performance in a movie that's slowly but surely growing to be a "no one cares" kind of movie. It helps give the movie a bit of prestige too since the last movie that had double noms for Lead Actor was...Amadeus?

i think one of the pundits on twitter said that not just universal but it was Ali's decision to be campaigned in supporting. dude wants another oscar.

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i think one of the pundits on twitter said that not just universal but it was Ali's decision to be campaigned in supporting. dude wants another oscar.

Can't blame him. That category is super weak. And being a recent winner didn't stop Christoph Waltz from winning a second Oscar just three years after his first.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Can't blame him. That category is super weak. And being a recent winner didn't stop Christoph Waltz from winning a second Oscar just three years after his first.

yeah he's probably the frontrunner in supporting. maybe elliott if star is born goes over crazy great. grant would be cool but who cares about that movie?

Edited by CoolioD1

I'm not dropping Malek from my predictions unless Bohemian Rhapsody goes under 100M. Gosling is still the weakest link in this category right now.

And yeah, Ali is probably winning Supporting Actor. Everyone else that's been seen already has a big thing against them:

Elliott: Little screentime and doesn't leave an impact on the film's plot in the way Ali did for Moonlight two years ago

Kaluuya: I believe Blanks when he said Kaluuya doesn't have enough screentime to win. It's been said quite a bit by others too

Grant: His movie is now a no1curr

Chalamet: His movie has always been a no1curr

Driver: He's lost a lot of buzz since Klansman came out, and it's not like this is a winning performance anyways

Jordan: lolno

It's probably coming down to Rockwell or Carell stopping Ali from picking up a second

Edited by WrathOfHan

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm not dropping Malek from my predictions unless Bohemian Rhapsody goes under 100M. Gosling is still the weakest link in this category right now.

lol Gosling is not weaker than Malek (who is the only possible nomination for his weak-reviewed film, and it's not like he's an industry veteran due for a nomination either). Latter's probably not picking up any nominations anywhere besides the Golden Globes at this point.

6 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

And yeah, Ali is probably winning Supporting Actor. Everyone else that's been seen already has a big thing against them:

Elliott: Little screentime and doesn't leave an impact on the film's plot in the way Ali did for Moonlight two years ago

Kaluuya: I believe Blanks when he said Kaluuya doesn't have enough screentime to win. It's been said quite a bit by others too

Grant: His movie is now a no1curr

Chalamet: His movie has always been a no1curr

Driver: He's lost a lot of buzz since Klansman came out, and it's not like this is a winning performance anyways

Jordan: lolno

It's probably coming down to Rockwell or Carell stopping Ali from picking up a second

J9y5ZWf.gif

• Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 1

I think a lot of people will end up caring about Can You Ever Forgive Me? enough to at least provide it with Actress, Supporting Actor, and Adapted Screenplay. The excellent critical reception is there, and the film just had a respectable opening weekend platform gross. That's one of the things I love about the Oscars: when it comes to nominations, films don't necessarily have to be smash hits to sneak into the race.

Can You Ever Forgive Me? actually did fine this past weekend considering Fox Searchlight didn't do a whole lot to promote it (guessing because their resources are limited these days because of the upcoming Disney acquisition - even though their operations will apparently be running the same after it occurs - and The Favourite is a much higher priority). We'll see how it expands but I still think it's looking good for the three nominations Slambros mentioned (though I think Grant is in even if McCarthy were to miss because his category is way too barren).

• Like 1

I'm moving Hawke into my predictions and above the fifth spot. Conversation around his movie has held up very well and I see him winning alot of critic's awards, keeping him in the convo. Plus people have finally come around on the Ethan Hawke being a generational icon thing.

Cooper

Bale

Mortensen

Hawke

Hmmm....Gosling, I guess, but I can just as easily see it being Redford. Maybe Malek too. Don't even rule out Stephan James if the second wave of reviews is gaga over Beale Street and it outperforms more than already expected.

Don't count out Willem Dafoe (At Eternity's Gate) just yet. The film may not have the best reviews out of the fall festivals, but it's the type of film I could definitely see coming out of nowhere. The fall of Bohemian Rhapsody and, therefore, Rami Malek just might be the thing to help him.

17 minutes ago, Slambros said:

Don't count out Willem Dafoe (At Eternity's Gate) just yet. The film may not have the best reviews out of the fall festivals, but it's the type of film I could definitely see coming out of nowhere. The fall of Bohemian Rhapsody and, therefore, Rami Malek just might be the thing to help him.

I doubt it. That movie's an even bigger "no1curr" than the likes of The Old Man & the Gun.

I too could see a path for Eastwood, especially if The Mule does well at the box office and the film gets good reviews.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

https://disneystudiosawards.com/mary-poppins-returns/consider

LIN'S COMING FOR THE BEST ACTOR UPSET :ohmygod:

Disney has every nom possible listed for BP, MP and Incredibles 2 and - VFX is all they're even bothering to push AIW for?   Not even a hail mary attempt for sound mixing, editing or score or a best supporting bone throw for Brolin  while they have Serkis, Freeman and Whittaker for BP....   :rofl: