filmlover

Best Actor Predictions 2018

6 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Disney has every nom possible listed for BP, MP and Incredibles 2 and - VFX is all they're even bothering to push AIW for?   Not even a hail mary attempt for sound mixing, editing or score or a best supporting bone throw for Brolin  while they have Serkis, Freeman and Whittaker for BP....   :rofl: 

Seems like they don't want IW to take any votes away from BP.

• Like 1

Rami Malek is definitely getting nominated. Huge movie + iconic character + well-received performance....yea maybe the rest of the movie could have been better but at least people saw it and thought SOMETHING, unlike Old Man and Gun and First Man. 

Cooper

Bale

Malek

Hawke

Mortensen unless this fuck-up has legs. If not, Gosling I guess but it's wide open for Eastwood to swoop in.

• Like 1

The line up is Cooper, Bale, Mortensen, Malek, and Gosling unless Eastwood kicks Gosling out. Everyone else has too muted of a campaign or is in a no1curr. There’s always an acting category every year that people try to make more exciting than it actually is, and this year it’s Actor.

Edited by WrathOfHan

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

The line up is Cooper, Bale, Mortensen, Malek, and Gosling unless Eastwood kicks Gosling out. Everyone else has too muted of a campaign or is in a no1curr. There’s always an acting category every year that people try to make more exciting than it actually is, and this year it’s Actor.

I think you're underestimating Hawke. It's still probably the best received performance of the year in any category pretty much and he'll win enough critic awards to stay in the spotlight. I think someone like him has enough passionate support to get in over Gosling. Who is giving Gosling a first place vote?

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think you're underestimating Hawke. It's still probably the best received performance of the year in any category pretty much and he'll win enough critic awards to stay in the spotlight. I think someone like him has enough passionate support to get in over Gosling. Who is giving Gosling a first place vote?

A24 is running non-existent campaigns for their films. Hawke needs SAG if he’s getting in, and that seems unlikely.

Edited by WrathOfHan

The Golden Globes are gonna be interesting as to who gets nominated here. Especially in the Comedy/Musical category given that neither Cooper or Malek and possibly even Bale will compete there. These seem to be all the contenders for that category with a legitimate shot (never underestimate their ability to recognize rising talent in acclaimed movies):

Mahershala Ali, Green Book

Henry Golding, Crazy Rich Asians

Hugh Grant, Paddington 2

Lin Manuel-Miranda, Mary Poppins Returns

Viggo Mortensen, Green Book

Robert Redford, The Old Man and the Gun

Ryan Reynolds, Deadpool 2

Nick Robinson, Love, Simon

Lakeith Stanfield, Sorry to Bother You

The Green Book guys feel safe but I wouldn't be surprised by any combo of three people from above making up the rest of the category.

Edited by filmlover

I chose to watch First Reformed for a college paper yesterday evening and I have to say, I'm definitely rooting for Ethan Hawke. His performance really takes an already great script to new heights. The entire film revolves around his character, and he nails it and then some. If there's any one thing A24 should be campaigning for this year besides Toni Colette for Hereditary, it's Ethan Hawke for First Reformed alongside Best Original Screenplay for that film.

Still too early to tell much about Vice, but it getting comments about potentially being divisive and also being shutout by IPA and NBR isn’t a great start for Bale.

Id still think Bale gets nominated, but I’m thinking Cooper has the edge now.  Maybe even Mortensen if that backlash is overlooked

On 11/29/2018 at 1:22 PM, PANDA said:

I’m thinking Cooper has the edge now.

I keep going back to Cooper as the clear frontrunner due to his possible other multiple nominations for Director, Pictures, Adapted Screenplay, etc.

No individual has ever an Acting Oscar AND a Technical/Creative Oscar in the evening.  Most of the same night, multiple Oscar winners are writers/directors or directors/producers (or writer/director/producer in like the case of the Coen Brothers, Peter Jackson, Alejandro González Iñárritu, etc).

So, unless Cooper is about to make history [and make you a sadface Roma fan], Actor feels like the logical "A Star is Born was excellent, we're not giving you four Oscars, please accept this as our show of gratitude" Award.  Especially if voters are trying to spread their love around, which they seem to be doing more and more of.

(Interesting enough, Gaga could ALSO be the first if she wins Best Actress and Best Song.  But MPR had slowed down my Gaga is the Clear Winner train on both of those awards.) 

• Like 1