filmlover

Best Actress Predictions 2018

y'know what julie andrews won for it way back in the day and as weird as it is people keep getting nominated for rob marshall musicals. i'll wait though people were calling my sly for creed predictions fanboyish a year early too! (it was and this is too btw)

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:29 PM, CoolEric258 said:

Well, The Tale went to HBO, so Dern's out (now she's the Emmy frontrunner), but hopefully Mulligan and Collette can still stick around.

Mulligan's film just got picked up by IFC so we can probably count her out too. Looks like everything from Sundance was a nonstarter this year aside from Hereditary (and I doubt that's gonna end up getting any awards traction unless it becomes a word-of-mouth box office smash).

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

Mulligan's film just got picked up by IFC so we can probably count her out too. Looks like everything from Sundance was a nonstarter this year aside from Hereditary (and I doubt that's gonna end up getting any awards traction unless it becomes a word-of-mouth box office smash).

Noooooooo

On 3/6/2018 at 3:35 PM, CoolEric258 said:

Amy Adams

Viola Davis

Kiki Layne

Melissa McCarthy

Saoirse Ronan

Amy Adams is looking like the next "rightfully nominated year after year but with no awards" that Leo or others were for a long time. Saoirse Ronan not far behind her.

Edited by Ithil

Judging from the trailer, it appears that what people have been saying to me about Melissa McCarthy is true. Some of the same people are the ones who have been saying great things about Black Klansman, too. It is appearing really likely that Spike Lee will receive his first Best Director nomination next year.         

With On the Basis of Sex in the November slot, while pushing out Queen of Scots, and The Favourite getting the Thanksgiving slot, it really is crazy to think that it's only April, and the Best Actress slate is looking super packed at the moment.

Felicity Jones, Rachel Weisz, Melissa McCarthy, Saoirse Ronan, Viola Davis, Kiki Layne, Amy Adams, Toni Collette, Cate Blanchett. I'm sure some other stuff will pop up inbetween, which will make this even more crowded.

11 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

it really is crazy to think that it's only April, and the Best Actress slate is looking super packed at the moment.

And Best Actor looks relatively dead. Who said there was a shortage of great roles in Hollywood for women?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, La Binoche said:

Toni Collete all the way. We need more wins in horror movies. 

I'm not planning on seeing Hereditary but I'm rooting for her nonetheless. I like rooting for different films to get recognized and it seems like Toni Colette is a big part of why Hereditary works.

even though Toni Collete did magnificent in the new horror movie Hereditary, I fear it won't amount for much in accumulating awards recognition at the end of the year.  Every year, you get a lot of brilliant performances in these strange movies that add a lot pop-culture wise, but then they are forgotten during awards and need TV or something else I guess...

6 minutes ago, mathemetrics said:

even though Toni Collete did magnificent in the new horror movie Hereditary, I fear it won't amount for much in accumulating awards recognition at the end of the year.  Every year, you get a lot of brilliant performances in these strange movies that add a lot pop-culture wise, but then they are forgotten during awards and need TV or something else I guess...

I think the movie is enough of a success for A24 to campaign her, at least. Plus she's well-liked and has put in a lot of work and a previous nominee but that was 20 years ago - there's tons of things in her favor. 

That, and Toni Colette has a fairly strong chance of getting a nomination for the Best Drama Actress Golden Globe. A Star is Born and Mary Poppins Returns will both be in the musical competition, and Can You Ever Forgive Me? and The Favourite can easily be in that comedy competition as well; that only leaves a few other competitors to leap over. But she definitely needs that stepping stone for her nomination to be a sure thing.

Not only that, but she's bound to get many, many critic award nominations that could bolster her.

Edited by Slambros