filmlover

Best Actress Predictions 2018

https://deadline.com/2018/09/oscars-after-telluride-no-first-round-knockouts-in-the-race-but-nothing-completely-knocked-out-either-1202456385/

The period costume drama, The Favouritecame in with praise from Venice, and was generally well-received in the Rockies too although there were some detractors.

Emma Stone is in contention for Lead Actress but if the studio also campaigns the equally fine Rachel Weisz there (instead of supporting) then it could be trouble. Olivia Colman, a hoot as the Queen, is a sure bet in support although the studio still hasn’t ruled out pushing her into lead, a shakier prospect considering the competition, both seen and unseen, building in that category.

I believe  idon't really have to clarify this but Glenn Close vs. Gaga... C'mon. Close is amazing in that role, and Gaga really did a bad job acting in ASIB. I mean, she was already really bad in AHS, and the only people who can defend this role are the fans. I like the soundtrack, Bradley is great, overall film is meh, but Gaga (apart from singing) didn't really do much. It was pretty lame and overhyped.

I believe, when it's all said and done, these 5 ladies will score a nomination:

1. Glenn Close ("The Wife")

2. Lady Gaga ("A Star is Born")

3. Olivia Colman ("The Favorite")

4. Yalitza Aparicio ("Roma")

5. Toni Collette ("Hereditary")

Next in line:

6. Melissa McCarthy ("Can You Ever Forgive Me?")

7. Maggie Gyllenhaal ("The Kindergarten Teacher")

8. Viola Davis ("Widows") - I wouldn't be surprised to see her pushed to top 5, instead of Toni, because... diversity

9. Kiki layne ("If Beale Street Could Talk") - same as Davis

10. Emily Blunt ("Mary Poppins Returns")

Out of first three, I've seen 4 (didn't see "The Favorite"), and Close is the best performance by far, which doesn't mean she will win.

19 minutes ago, Viktor Vilotijevic said:

I believe  idon't really have to clarify this but Glenn Close vs. Gaga... C'mon. Close is amazing in that role, and Gaga really did a bad job acting in ASIB. I mean, she was already really bad in AHS, and the only people who can defend this role are the fans. I like the soundtrack, Bradley is great, overall film is meh, but Gaga (apart from singing) didn't really do much. It was pretty lame and overhyped. 

Image result for disappointed gif

• Like 1

I'm not sure if I believe that Lady Gaga was necessarily bad in A Star Is Born. She used facial expressions excellently. When I was analyzing her mannerisms, I didn't see acting, nor did I see Lady Gaga; I saw a real individual, one that I related to, but have never truly known before. Her role showed strength and versatily, scene by scene. She was complex, mature, funny, vulgar, and naive, all at once. She may not have been one's favorite, but to say that her performance was bad, which is to say that her performance had no merit or no effect, feels wrong to me.

• Like 2

I think a sleeper candidate could be Keira Knightley for Colette if the film is able to appeal to the Victoria & Abdul audience. I say this because Bleecker Street has done a better job generating buzz for the film than I ever thought they could. It's a turbulent race, so we'll just have to wait and see!

Yeah, for now, it's definitely Glenn Close vs. Lady Gaga here. Gun to my head, I'd guess right now that the Academy follows its history with actresses and honors the... er ... star that's born over the industry veteran. But Glenn Close wins this if the critics' groups all rally behind her for career honors and SAG follows suit.