Eric Atreides

Jumanji: The Next Level l Sony l December 13, 2019 l 10th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

The Rock and Hart look like they'll be a blast in this. Not sure about Jack Black, him playing a jock seems like such a downgrade from him playing a teenage girl. But hey, I didn't think he would work well in the last film, so maybe he surprises here.

I'll go with 70/300 for now, see where it goes from there. 

"The Next Level"?  OK, I get it's a video game/board game but a little lazy on the title, lol.  With that said, looks really fun.  Was unsure how the story was gonna go but it looks like they upped the adventure so the "Sequel Rules" are being followed pretty well.   LOL @ Danny and Danny.  I still feel a Week before TROS was the right spot but I understand the move back to Christmas as that worked well against TLJ.   Overall should do good guys.  I'm expecting a drop for sure domestically but still should get those Holiday Dollars.   I was unsure if it was gonna make the deadline based on reports they were still shooting this summer.  

On 7/1/2019 at 9:18 AM, The Futurist said:

First movie was as beloved as SLOP.

Increase incoming.

It did well on physical sales:

https://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/packaged-media-sales/2018

1 Black Panther 4,490,907 $91,440,357
2 The Greatest Showman 4,382,582 $66,903,991
3 Star Wars Ep. VIII: The Last Jedi 4,044,626 $87,163,992
4 Coco 3,769,748 $72,856,788
5 Avengers: Infinity War 3,741,435 $112,835,415
6 Incredibles 2 3,371,535 $66,584,494
7 Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle 3,350,026 $65,038,111
8 Deadpool 2 3,345,679 $58,731,341
9 Thor: Ragnarok 3,216,583 $67,404,214
10 Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 3,036,069 $59,338,412

100% of the sales being in 2018 probably help a little bit versus some title that would splitted sales a bit, but still...

Legs, cinemascore, post-theater performance are all strong.

Beloved do not lead necessarily to a big success sequel either (I imagine people liked Ted quite a bit), a movie success revolving on a high concept like can indeed drop.

I know the last one did well at Christmas, but it feels like this film could have been pretty dominant if released next summer. 

I think it will do well regardless. Probably won't duplicate the last one in terms of success, but, the simple, family oriented premise should take it comfortably above $250M domestic, and probably above $300M. 

It's really a franchise tailor made for The Rock, that taps into his action and comedy personas. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, filmscholar said:

"The Next Level"?  OK, I get it's a video game/board game but a little lazy on the title, lol.  With that said, looks really fun.  Was unsure how the story was gonna go but it looks like they upped the adventure so the "Sequel Rules" are being followed pretty well.   LOL @ Danny and Danny.  I still feel a Week before TROS was the right spot but I understand the move back to Christmas as that worked well against TLJ.   Overall should do good guys.  I'm expecting a drop for sure domestically but still should get those Holiday Dollars.   I was unsure if it was gonna make the deadline based on reports they were still shooting this summer.  

They moved Jumanji from a week before TROS to Christmas?

17 minutes ago, George Parr said:

I guess the confusion came from the "this christmas" bit in the teaser. But that was meant as a general timeline (i.e. close to the holidays) and not as the opening actually happening on christmas itself.

Yeah, pretty much. Now that Sony knows what they have in Jumanji, not surprising that they they got in ahead of Star Wars this year. Screams confidence.

The last reports I saw was like you guys 12/13, one week before TROS.   Then the trailer said "This Christmas" which normally is reserved for films a little closer in date though Two Weeks is in the area.   TROS is 4 days before Christmas eve, so "This Christmas" made sense for that tag.  That's why I thought it moved.  

10 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Yeah, pretty much. Now that Sony knows what they have in Jumanji, not surprising that they they got in ahead of Star Wars this year. Screams confidence.

It helps Star Wars more than it hurts Star Wars if anything. Star Wars coming out afterwards with a free path for a few weeks is better than having Jumanji come out right after it.  

• Like 1