Eric Atreides

Jumanji: The Next Level l Sony l December 13, 2019 l 10th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

16 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Well the original didn’t really need a sequel and this one turned out entertaining! 

I think it was made with making another few films in mind. 

Was it though? J2 even ends with them destroying the video game console and walking away. Seemed pretty definitive.

Edited by cookie

The last one's performance must be one of my bigger crow-eating moments. I thought the marketing was relying on non-existent nostalgia for the first but in the end none of that mattered. It was just the perfect all-ages vehicle for the Rock.

10 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Well the original didn’t really need a sequel and this one turned out entertaining! 

I think it was made with making another few films in mind. 

That why it was a remake (with some useless very small connection just to not call it that).

Jumanji 3 willl be a sequel to the 2, that could be quite different. Or could go yet for an other remake (put them again in a game)

Jumanji was a terrific box office story.  But I think it is a huge mistake to think that it can compete with Star Wars on the same weekend.  That's all that needs to be said about that for now.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, baumer said:

Jumanji was a terrific box office story.  But I think it is a huge mistake to think that it can compete with Star Wars on the same weekend.  That's all that needs to be said about that for now.

True. It will get demolished. $200m if lucky

2 minutes ago, lilmac said:

True. It will get demolished. $200m if lucky

Well, maybe not that low lol....it'll have holiday legs.....but still, not a great idea imo.

• Like 2

It's coming out a week before Ep IX which has pretty full week itself (Masters, Death on the Nile and Wicked). I bet something from Dec 20 weekend will move, but it still stands that competition is definitely fiercer this time around. I can't see IX increase OS but Jumanji 2 could.  

Not feeling it. They'd need to re-reboot to keep from getting stale. If this movie is full of:

- Jack Black acting like a teen girl

- Kevin Hart short jokes

- Rock hunk jokes

- Stuck in a video game

- rhinos

all again, then it'll get really old really quick. It was funny the first time, but the magic wears off with retreads. And then having them stuck in an app or something is just lazy. But oh well what can you do? Will be interesting to see what new concepts they come up with. 

This comfortable made more than the last Spidey film...This franchise is SONY's favourite son right now. I wonder if it makes its release date. The Rock has to clone himself to be available in time to shoot this...

50 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

Not feeling it. They'd need to re-reboot to keep from getting stale. If this movie is full of:

- Jack Black acting like a teen girl

- Kevin Hart short jokes

- Rock hunk jokes

- Stuck in a video game

- rhinos

all again, then it'll get really old really quick. It was funny the first time, but the magic wears off with retreads. And then having them stuck in an app or something is just lazy. But oh well what can you do? Will be interesting to see what new concepts they come up with. 

43 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

They can just have the avatars as new characters playing them so maybe this time The Rock is a teen girl.

I agree that it is an challenge.

I would also be tempted to make a remake instead of a sequel, you can have a different group of people playing the game this time (say old people instead of young one, having them being a bit fish out of water joke of not understanding video games trope). But they did laugh about video game trope quite a lot.

Or have the video games trope becoming real people and have the fish out of the water reversed, The Rock video character being in control of the unpopular young kid.

Or one thing that they can easily do, is change the video game that is play and the jungle setting for an other classic video game type.

8 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I agree that it is an challenge.

I would also be tempted to make a remake instead of a sequel, you can have a different group of people playing the game this time (say old people instead of young one, having them being a bit fish out of water joke of not understanding video games trope). But they did laugh about video game trope quite a lot.

Or have the video games trope becoming real people and have the fish out of the water reversed, The Rock video character being in control of the unpopular young kid.

Or one thing that they can easily do, is change the video game that is play and the jungle setting for an other classic video game type.

Not sure how your second idea could play out. Wouldn't that basically require all the big stars to have hardly any screentime while the no-names have to carry the movie? If the story were reversed this time around, we wouldn't see The Rock, we would see someone else acting as if he were The Rock. That's doable, but not taking advantage of the actors you have.

27 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Not sure how your second idea could play out. Wouldn't that basically require all the big stars to have hardly any screentime while the no-names have to carry the movie? If the story were reversed this time around, we wouldn't see The Rock, we would see someone else acting as if he were The Rock. That's doable, but not taking advantage of the actors you have.

Ahhh that is true, you cannot have them in too minor roles (would help is scheduling too).

Audience will almost certainly want to see them play a game again and probably still be avatar of the same people.

They are in a age that they could have matured and grown quite fast in movie time too, specially from that experience making it possible to have something interesting, say you setup it just after they started their work life.

3 minutes ago, Bobbybuilderton said:

Regardless of how it performs, this release date is a fucking power play. You know that scene in The Leftovers where Kevin flops his giant dick onto the sensor?

That's Sony to Star Wars right now.

Sony to Disney:

• Like 1

Opening the week before Episode 9 is gonna impact it less than Jumanji coming in after Episode 8 and scooping up repeat views.

Also given how big the first broke out, the odds of it expanding even further are against it.