Eric Atreides

Jumanji: The Next Level l Sony l December 13, 2019 l 10th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

6 minutes ago, Neucentro said:

Sony has more extreme precedents of how fast they can wrap things up. The Girl in the Spider's Web began filming in January and opened in November the same year. Goosebumps 2 began filming in March and opened in October the same year.

I think that's often to the detriment of the quality of the films. Speedy production means less time for creative application. Of course, film is a business like any other, but there's gotta be a reason why Sony films are hit or miss, and that might as well be it.

6 minutes ago, Slambros said:

I think that's often to the detriment of the quality of the films. Speedy production means less time for creative application. Of course, film is a business like any other, but there's gotta be a reason why Sony films are hit or miss, and that might as well be it.

With today's filming and processing technology, filming usually takes a month or two and post takes about three to six months. It's usually the studio system that hinders the creative process and reduces any flexibility in production, leading to unnecessarily lengthy wait time between development and release.

• Like 1

It better make the date. I wanna see that Jumanji vs IX showdown.

To be fair, a delay would help both movies. But the first was such a WOM hit that benefitted HIGHLY from the December release, so I imagine the studio will fight to not have to give it up. 

https://deadline.com/2019/02/jumanji-sequel-teen-actors-alex-wolff-serdarius-blain-madison-iseman-and-morgan-turner-return-1202547710/

The four teens who had an out-of-body experience in Sony’s $962M-grossing hit Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle – Alex Wolff, Ser’Darius Blain, Madison Iseman, and Morgan Turner – are coming back for the sequel which opens on Dec. 13.

• Thanks 1

If something as passionately liked as Spider-Verse dropped 53% against $115m worth of openers this will be lucky to have a sub-60% hold against a movie that could open to almost twice that. Sony has to count on this having a serious recovery from Christmas onwards if they're gonna keep it in this spot. 

They keep adding cast members but haven't begun filming yet? Gettin' tardy to the party I'd say. Cast should have been pretty much locked up a while ago if they were to start filming. If they get to March and haven't started filming they can't make a December release.

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

Imdb claims it started filming.

look at the previous page in this thread, a week after the supposed shoot start date, Dwayne Johnson says filming will start "next month".

I am inclined to agree with the idea that this may move. Which wouldn't be a bad thing, now that it's built an audience from the last one, the christmas period is not as essential. If it's another 3-month shoot same as the last one, then it has only about 6 months of post production. Doable, by all means, but if they have to do reshoots that may delay it. Dwayne will be shooting Red Notice after jumanji I think. dunno what the others are up to but I imagine Kevin Hart's busy too.

Edited by Avatree

1 hour ago, jedijake said:

They keep adding cast members but haven't begun filming yet? Gettin' tardy to the party I'd say. Cast should have been pretty much locked up a while ago if they were to start filming. If they get to March and haven't started filming they can't make a December release.

Filming and announcing cast members can happen the same time.

7 hours ago, Avatree said:

look at the previous page in this thread, a week after the supposed shoot start date, Dwayne Johnson says filming will start "next month".

I mean, it can start filming without the Rock, I doubt he's in every scene.

Let's look at this with some perspective. Star Wars IX will be wrapping at the time when Jum3 will be starting. And yet the plan is to release Jum3 a week before Star Wars IX? Nope, not happening if that is the case. 

And we KNOW that IMDB is NOT a good source for information. So anything there that says they are filming is bs. If they started filming, we'd be able to find out something solid about it.

And the first week of May 2020 is WIDE open.

Edited by jedijake

21 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Let's look at this with some perspective. Star Wars IX will be wrapping at the time when Jum3 will be starting. And yet the plan is to release Jum3 a week before Star Wars IX? Nope, not happening if that is the case

And we KNOW that IMDB is NOT a good source for information. So anything there that says they are filming is bs. If they started filming, we'd be able to find out something solid about it.

And the first week of May 2020 is WIDE open.

I doubt Jumanji will be on the same scale as Star Wars, so I don't think that comparing them means that much. 

And Production Weekly did report that shooting would start in January.

4 hours ago, Clayman said:

I mean, it can start filming without the Rock, I doubt he's in every scene.

He didn't refer to himself, he stated that the film begins production in February. He said this after the original quoted 21 Jan date.

It has not begun yet. I'm sure once it does start shooting we will hear about it.