Eric Atreides

Jumanji: The Next Level l Sony l December 13, 2019 l 10th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

50 minutes ago, Cheebs86 said:

It helps Star Wars more than it hurts Star Wars if anything. Star Wars coming out afterwards with a free path for a few weeks is better than having Jumanji come out right after it.  

True. I guess I got that backwards.

This seems to be getting a lot of positive reactions from what I can tell. Honestly, for something that should have been a one time gimmick sort of hook, this looks more entertaining than it should. But clearly The Rock and Hart wanted center stage this time, hence saddling Black with snoozefest jock. 

7 hours ago, Cheebs86 said:

They moved Jumanji from a week before TROS to Christmas?

7 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

Nah, it's still on the 13th

6 hours ago, Cheebs86 said:

I just checked, nothing seems moved.

6 hours ago, George Parr said:

I guess the confusion came from the "this christmas" bit in the teaser. But that was meant as a general timeline (i.e. close to the holidays) and not as the opening actually happening on christmas itself.

6 hours ago, filmscholar said:

The last reports I saw was like you guys 12/13, one week before TROS.   Then the trailer said "This Christmas" which normally is reserved for films a little closer in date though Two Weeks is in the area.   TROS is 4 days before Christmas eve, so "This Christmas" made sense for that tag.  That's why I thought it moved.  

FWIW, TLJ said "This Christmas" as well in its promos, and it opened on the 15th.  Just a general thing for movies opening in mid/late December.

Edited by Porthos

1 hour ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

25m trailer views and 860k likes on The Rocks youtube channel.

Pretty damn good.

wow cause he links to from his facebook to youtube rather than facebook video. no wonder he gets paid for social media promotion. Sony youtube only has 5.6m views

Call me crazy, but I'm kinda feeling an increase DOM for this. It seems like the trailer is going over really really well with the GA, and that combined with all the goodwill from the first could be a potent combo. The only big issue here is that this not only has to deal with SW comp like the first, but also Frozen 2 taking a massive bite out of the family demo the whole holiday season as well. That may just be too much competition to do as well as the first did. 

When there's too much competition for the same demo, the most appealing movie wins. Frozen managed to overtake The Hobbit 2 after holidays because it was more appealing, despite being in the theaters since November. So we'll see what clicks the best. 

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Call me crazy, but I'm kinda feeling an increase DOM for this. It seems like the trailer is going over really really well with the GA, and that combined with all the goodwill from the first could be a potent combo. The only big issue here is that this not only has to deal with SW comp like the first, but also Frozen 2 taking a massive bite out of the family demo the whole holiday season as well. That may just be too much competition to do as well as the first did. 

Think it’s a Deadpool situation where the novelty has worn off and since it isn’t the MCU where there’s an intricate connected story, people who had their curiosity satisfied by the first one are fine missing out.

I don't know. I had good laughs with trailer. The first part trailer felt OTT. This was perfect. It will decrease obviously but not SloP range. I can see it doing Aquaman numbers.

May be something like Hobbit 2 drop from Hobbit despite being much better film. 

Edited by Charlie Jatinder

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

well, Frozen 2 and TROS can't count on novelty either. you can do it only once.

With Frozen Disney has made sure people don’t forget about it thanks to merchandise, not to mention Let It Go is one of the biggest songs of the decade. 

Star Wars is a 40 year old brand, guaranteed audience and the conclusion to a story with two billion dollar movies is a fine enough hook (though I’m not convinced WW that TROS will make more than TLJ).

Jumanji hasn’t really proven yet if it’s a sustainable franchise - while I’m confident Next Level will be a hit, I personally think the first movie was carried by novelty in many ways and a domestic decrease is likely.

Edited by Mekanos

It's not about forgetting but about increasing based on something that isn't novelty (since that was done with the first movie). You said novelty is gone from Threemanji and I just point out that it's gone from Frozen 2 and TROS too. So whatever all 3 need to increase won't be novelty but whatever else. if they find it, they'll increase. if not, than they won't.

Edited by Valonqar

Just now, Valonqar said:

It's not about forgetting but about increasing based on something that isn't novelty (since that was done with the first movie). You said novelty is gone from Threemanji and I just point out that it's gone from Frozen 2 and TROS too. 

I don’t think it’s really comparable since those movies are part of massive brands that stay relevant in part thanks to marketing and merchandising courtesy of Disney. This is on the other hand a sequel to the surprise hit two years ago. I can’t remember the last sequel to a movie over like, 300 DOM that didn’t decrease and wasn’t MCU. 

Like it’s still good for over 300 easy in my mind. But Frozen has had six years worth of inflation and building of the original’s cultural cache and Star Wars has never needed novelty to sell. I do think a domestic decrease for Star Wars is possible, not likely but possible.

1 hour ago, Mekanos said:

Think it’s a Deadpool situation where the novelty has worn off and since it isn’t the MCU where there’s an intricate connected story, people who had their curiosity satisfied by the first one are fine missing out.

Deadpool 2 didn't drop all that much