Eric Atreides

Jumanji: The Next Level l Sony l December 13, 2019 l 10th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

I wonder where exactly they are trying to put it. Christmas 2019 has a very condensed schedule compared to 2017.

This time around SW started on the 15th, more than a week before christmas, Jumanji came out mid-week. In 2020, SW is supposed to come out on the 20th, so christmas is a whole lot closer already, and the holidays end before its 3rd weekend. That leaves either starting on the 25th, which is mid-week again, and only leads to a rather short holiday boost, or starting a week before SW.

I think a drop would be very likely. The schedule wouldn't be quite as good as this time around, and catching lightning in a bottle twice isn't that easy. Then again, the holidays do leave enough room to still be successful. If two 200m movies can open against Avatar, a 150m movie can open against TFA, a 270m movie can open against Rogue One and a 350m+ can open against TLJ, then there is enough room for a third Jumanji to succeed alongside the next SW-movie, regardless of how well that one will do.

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:51 AM, Arlborn said:

What a surprise.

Yeah, a Studio that is short of franchises,and probably just lost one of it's two big Franchises with the James Bond Franchise most likely leaving, is not going to take a hit like Jumanji and try to turn it into a franchise.

Most unsurprising sequel annoucment in a long time.

16 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

No one is saying it will flop. It will just do less than first one at least domestically. 

And SONY is desperate for franchises. It only has one successful one...Spidey....now that the Bond franchise is almost certainly leaving. Jumanji looks like a better bet for New Franchise status then anything else Sony has at the moment.

On 1/24/2018 at 7:18 PM, New Year New Panda said:

Jumanji doesn’t have a franchiseable concept as the hook just doesn’t work as well a second time.

That's what people said about Welcome to the Jungle.

I agree it will drop, that's a given, sequel increase would be unusual. Could increase WW especially if it gets a good China slot. It will still do well in America, 250-300M would be achievable.

Jumanji 2017 added something new and exciting to the property.

The sequel will be Wrath of the Titans all over again.

Except Clash of the Titans was trash, and Jumanji WTTJ was well liked by audiences and ended up one of the leggiest movies of the modern era.

You don't know anything about what the WTTJ sequel will be about, none of us do yet.

You remind me of those fans that were angry after first hearing that Jumanji 2017 movie wasn't about a board game like the first.
Edited by Mojoguy

Getting people to care about a Jumanji sequel without Robin Williams was the hard part. Mission accomplished.

Now they just need to keep up the quality of the writing for the sequel.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 2

Honestly, I see no reason why SWs 9 ends up with the mixed fan response that Last Jedi had. JJ's back and I am betting dollars to donuts that he plays it safe from the plot to characters just like what he did with Force Awakens. 

Unless Jumanji shakes it up while keeping what made the 2017 movie so great, it will go down domestically. I can see os staying around the same or increasing though.