Eric Atreides

Jumanji: The Next Level l Sony l December 13, 2019 l 10th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

11 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Touche buy who trolls this film?

It’s not just trolls, it’s a small general impediment to use the audience score that people who loved the movie are more likely to bother with than people who were just kind of “meh, whatever.” And the “really liked”:”meh whatever” ratio is the really important one, since most films are actually hated by a very small fraction of GA.

Edited by Arendelle Legion

There was a very common reaction I read online, which was that people's audiences were laughing all throughout the movie. Well, ditto mine! These characters man, they're just an absolute hoot so spend a couple hours with in cinemas which is why you get those kind of reactions. Having actors act like other actors is a money-in-the-bank trope.

I don't know if I can compare which was better. They're both great in their own ways! I think all that needs to be said is it's an effective sequel: it offered the humour, heart and swashbuckling action of the first, while introducing new characters and corners of Jumanji to make it fresh. The ending also leaves the audience invested, so when you combine that with the actors acting like other actors trope I mentioned, you have a recipe for another sequel or two. No doubt. 

Just like the last one (although not obviously THAT good), this should play very strongly over the holidays.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

verified RT aud score went up from 86% after 500 ratings to 88% after 2.8k.

edit: won't post updates for this again but 87% after 3k. bottomline is it could stay steady instead of dropping much.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 3

This is one of the most AGGRESSIVELY AVERAGE movies that I have seen. :) The other one being the previous Jumanji.

I can't enjoy such movie fully, nor could I endure it again. I easily rewatch even dumber movies, but they at least have good visuals - while the visuals of Jumanji are also extremely average. Bad director, I guess.

Fortunately for Jumanji though, a great part of the public is also VERY average, by definition, so these movies' success is by no means surprise for the Shay.

Edited by shayhiri
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

This is one of the most AGGRESSIVELY AVERAGE movies that I have seen. :) The other one being the previous Jumanji.

I can't enjoy such movie fully, nor could I endure it again. I easily rewatch even dumber movies, but they at least have good visuals - while the visuals of Jumanji are also extremely average. Bad director, I guess.

Fortunately for this movie though, a great part of the public is also VERY average, by definition, so these movies' success is by no means surprise for the Shay.

Wow this is incredibly insulting. I'm not the franchise's biggest fan, but I had a fun time watching the movie. Its funny, the cast has chemistry, and the movie has heart. Sure its disposable in an academic sense, Jumanji certainly isn't providing us another lens through which to carefully examine the human condition, but the film almost undeniably has entertainment value. I don't think you can ascribe the film's success to an "average" audience, which by the way is perhaps one of the most condescending comments I've read in a long time, but rather to the strength of the cast and the film's sense of wish fulfillment and fun. Based on online reviews it doesn't seem that moviegoers walked out of Jum3 thinking it reinvented the movie wheel, rather they largely felt satisfied that the film had made good on its promise to deliver more of the heart, comedy and character shenanigans that made the first film such a breezy and entertaining watch. If you judge the film purely on all ages entertainment value, which is clearly the goal the makers set for themselves and what audiences are asking for from this particular franchise, then I think it was above average. If you're comparing it to brilliantly written dramatic films or ground breaking vfx films, then yea, in those categories the film is extremely average, but lets not move the goal posts here, that is entirely besides the point

Edited by Justin4125

Yeah, don't be insulted, I just like my reviews to have some style - that is why I use evocative words. And I am well aware how unexpectedly strong the word "average" (of all words) can be, when used right.

Unfortunately, the 2 Jumanji movies (I don't understand why people try to add the older movies here, they don't match at all) are exactly that: perfectly half-assed. :) Yeah, many parts are good, the actors are great - and so on - and I've seen (repeatedly) many worse movies.

However, if one part of the whole script is good, and the other bad - like in these movies, which are too basic for me - the whole ends up bad, or at best: yes, average. Also, the visuals are extremely mediocre - and that is a big NO for the Shay.

I also hate videogames* and think that game culture should stay in the nerd corner, not try for the mainstream. 

* Except the old arcade games from the 90ies - actually I just bought a real arcade machine with 2000 games! :)

Edited by shayhiri