Eric Atreides

Jumanji: The Next Level l Sony l December 13, 2019 l 10th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

26 minutes ago, Bobbybuilderton said:

I can't tell if I want to stop derailing this thread with the leftovers spoilers or keep going so that people watch it and put the RESPEK on Carrie Coon and Justin Theroux's names that they deserve

Fixed it for you 

• Thanks 1

I legit can’t tell if this is going to be the type of sequel that retains/builds on its audience, or where the first film was so huge that there’s nowhere to go but down.

I mean, everyone I’ve talked to has more or less great feelings about the last one, and I’m sure there’s no “poor WOM” going around that’ll hurt this one. There also wasn’t really any “blacklash” that usually comes with pretty much every billion dollar movie like this.

10 hours ago, John Marston said:

Starts filming in January for release on the same year? Woudn’t be surprised at a delay 

Yeah was about to say that. No way they can film in January and get it out by December. 5-6 months of filming gives it 6 months of post-production. No way is that happening!

Jumanji 2 filmed in 3 months and had a year for post-production. That's still 15 months.

Awaiting an announcement about a February or March 2020 release date.

Edited by jedijake

21 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Yeah was about to say that. No way they can film in January and get it out by December. 5-6 months of filming gives it 6 months of post-production. No way is that happening!

Jumanji 2 filmed in 3 months and had a year for post-production. That's still 15 months.

Most MCU films have a year of filming and post.  BP started filming Jan 21 2017 for a Feb 2018 release date.  Ant-Man was shorter than that.  Bond films regularly had a year turnaround between starting filming and release.  Now when post production can be started while filming even with more VFX it's even more viable than it was years ago.

25 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Jumanji 2 was originally scheduled to release in July after finishing in December. So that would be 7 months of post. And the delay wasn't because they needed more time in post, it was because it reminded Rothman of Night at the Museum back when he was at Fox, and that played well over Christmas so he decided to change the date. And if they finish filming Jumanji 3 in April, that's 7 months of post. I don't see why that seems so unachievable. 

I haven't seen Jumanji 2 since it came out, and I don't remember the movie too well, but I'm pretty sure, at least when it comes to a lot of VFX wizardry, there was only about one or two crazy complicated setpieces. There's the scene where Hart was running away from the rhinos, and I believe some stuff at the climax. Yeah, there were some fight scenes, motorcycle chases, and some CG animals, but the film wasn't necessarily a giant CGI-fest, at least compared to other tentpoles.

Maybe this one will have more VFX stuff that requires a longer post-production, maybe Johnson's schedule will make reshoots a challenge, maybe there's potential trouble on the set, but I feel like this won't be a movie that needs a long post-production schedule and can be easily squeezed out by next Christmas.

Obviously I could be wrong, and this might get delayed to Christmas 2020, I dunno

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

Most MCU films have a year of filming and post.  BP started filming Jan 21 2017 for a Feb 2018 release date.  Ant-Man was shorter than that.  Bond films regularly had a year turnaround between starting filming and release.  Now when post production can be started while filming even with more VFX it's even more viable than it was years ago.

Spectre took 7 months for principle photography, but it uses primarily practical stunts rather that VFX. SO there is not much to do in post production.

A short shoot indicates a rather simplistic plot and a lot of VFX unfortunately.

Just now, AndyK said:

Spectre took 7 months for principle photography, but it uses primarily practical stunts rather that VFX. SO there is not much to do in post production.

A short shoot indicates a rather simplistic plot and a lot of VFX unfortunately.

No it doesn't.    Most Oscar winning dramas shoot less than 2 months, many in one month.  And BP's plot certainly isn't more simplistic than SPECTRE.

2 hours ago, jedijake said:

There's nothing impossible in making that release date. Spectre started filming in December and was released in October, and it was much bigger movie, they were still shooting it a few months before it was released. Lethal Weapon 4 started filming in january and was released in july of the same year. And there are many examples like that.