La Binoche

A24's HEREDITARY

1 hour ago, StevenG said:

Holy shit. This film is 100 % RT Fresh and getting some of the best reviews I have ever read not just for a horror film but for any kind of film, period. Why aren't more people talking about this? Going by the reviews, Toni Collette seems like an undeniable Oscar nominee next year. 

Well if people aren’t talking about it besides critics that doesn’t bode well for its prospects at the BO. I’m worried about how much marketing a24 has done for this film. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

Both of those grossed over 10x their production budgets. 

yeah, like most horror movies these days have small budgets . they still flopped.

saw, get out, split, a quiet place, conjuring, sinister, annabelle, paranormal activity saga, lights out, dont breathe, happy death day, unfriended i could go on and on... those are low budget hits. The witch and it follows did poorly, sorry.

Edited by TombRaider
  • ...wtf 1

9 hours ago, TombRaider said:

will probably pull a The witch/It follows and flop

7 hours ago, TombRaider said:

yeah, like most horror movies these days have small budgets . they still flopped.

saw, get out, split, a quiet place, conjuring, sinister, annabelle, paranormal activity saga, lights out, dont breathe, happy death day, unfriended i could go on and on... those are low budget hits. The witch and it follows did poorly, sorry.

This is a bit nuts, lot of those example are studio release with giant marketing budget, The Witch and IT Follows didn't flop at all, they were even successful.

14 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I'm curious about how audiences will react to this movie.

I mean, this one could be another The Witch. 

It's much faster paced, tense and entertaining. It's not a typical jump scare, conventional horror and Rosemary's Baby is a great comparison many critics use but it's a much better watch.

20 hours ago, GraceRandolph said:

Seems kinda dull. 

It isn't.

13 hours ago, TombRaider said:

will probably pull a The witch/It follows and flop

Sorry but you don't understand what a flop is. A flop is losing money. A24 doesn't spend 100-150 milion dollars on Marketing. The Witch was a great commercial success. The scale is different but so is the expenditure. The movies you mention as success stories had MUCH HIGHER marketing budgets because they were studio releases. Also saying "Unfriended is a hit" while "The Witch" is a flop is silly when there is only $6m difference between the 2. Sorry but Comparing Paranomal Activity to this is stupid since Paranomal activity had 5-10x the Marketing Budget. I know this forum is open to everyone but can you at least educate yourself before posting?

11 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Another movie that spits on the genre but critics fap to it.

Classic.

Have you seen the movie? Nope, you didn't. Stop using the idiotic argument where critics are some old people smoking pipes. Horror blogs love this movie too. All the horror fans on the internet who have seen the movie are comparing it to Rosemary's Baby or Exorcist. Do you think Rosemary's Baby spits on the genre? Or are you a fake horror fan who started watching horrors with " I know what you did last summer"? 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, TombRaider said:

You seem to not understand what the term "flop" means. The Witch and It Follows were very profitable.

23 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

They flopped.

Flops don’t lose money.

They’re both more profitable than Tomb Raider is.  

None of them were breakouts, they both had wide releases. But they didn’t flop. 

Edited by Krissykins

Just because some people overpredicted the performance of The Witch doesn't mean it flopped.

It seems funny that people celebrated Ex Machina's performance but decry The Witch... even though Ex Machina cost 3x as much.

Edited by Ranger Tree