Neo

Top Gun Maverick | May 27, 2022 | Catch it in theaters...again on December 2nd! | Comes to Paramount+ on December 22!

3 hours ago, Macleod said:

Exactly what I was going to say.  Sure seems like McQuarrie may be "ghost directing" or "creative consulting" this thing...

I think it's very clear right now that he is very close to this project in an integral creative capacity.

Edited by ThePhasmid

Let me just say, I do enjoy listening to Chris McQuarrie. I have listened to countless podcasts and I find him candid, insightful, and engaging.

Maybe it is just a case of him being put into the Tom Cruise machine. But, the writing in Fallout disappointed me greatly. My sister avoided Fallout altogether because of the "I'm jumping out of a window" line in the trailer. She insisted if they put it in the trailer, they think it's funny and that's an indication of the writing we can expect.  She was right.

Then, I listened to a podcast where even Chris admitted the audience wasn't laughing where he expected them to (the bathroom scene where Tom Cruise goes Jerry Maguire with the "I don't know what I'm getting into?"). He thought that was funny and the audience was silent. His humor is cheesy and I would like to see him away from the "PG-13 action with forced comedy" genre. Tom...I feel like he is too far gone. But, if he is going to stay in the "PG-13 action with forced comedy" genre, he needs to find someone that doesn't write over-the-top, corny dialogue.

I have had a nagging bad feeling about TG2 since it was announced. McQuarrie writing on it I don't guess could make it any worse.

6 minutes ago, divinity83 said:

Maybe it is just a case of him being put into the Tom Cruise machine. But, the writing in Fallout disappointed me greatly. My sister avoided Fallout altogether because of the "I'm jumping out of a window" line in the trailer. She insisted if they put it in the trailer, they think it's funny and that's an indication of the writing we can expect.  She was right.

I have had a nagging bad feeling about TG2 since it was announced. McQuarrie writing on it I don't guess could make it any worse.

Agreed. I too called out that line when the trailer was released.  It was awkward.  But i enjoyed Fallout.

Agreed again about having a bad feeling about TG2. I was against it since they announced, just like i was not in favor of The Mummy.  Call it a hunch

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, divinity83 said:

But, the writing in Fallout disappointed me greatly. My sister avoided Fallout altogether because of the "I'm jumping out of a window" line in the trailer. She insisted if they put it in the trailer, they think it's funny and that's an indication of the writing we can expect.  She was right.

That line was in fact an improvisation by Cruise himself. Its intention is less concerned with provoking a laugh-out-loud response and more about introducing some levity to the scene. The humor in MI6 is considerably reduced compared to the previous installments. Marvel movies in particular incorporate much more humor. I believe you simply don't enjoy McQ's writing.

I couldn't care less about it, but TG2 will be fine. Kosinski is more experienced than Kurtzman and the production hasn't shot themselves in the foot by attempting to start a cinematic universe. I'm still flabbergasted by the fact that Cruise even signed off on the very idea. He must greatly admire the MCU or something.

5 hours ago, divinity83 said:

Let me just say, I do enjoy listening to Chris McQuarrie. I have listened to countless podcasts and I find him candid, insightful, and engaging.

Then, I listened to a podcast where even Chris admitted the audience wasn't laughing where he expected them to (the bathroom scene where Tom Cruise goes Jerry Maguire with the "I don't know what I'm getting into?"). He thought that was funny and the audience was silent. His humor is cheesy and I would like to see him away from the "PG-13 action with forced comedy" genre. Tom...I feel like he is too far gone. But, if he is going to stay in the "PG-13 action with forced comedy" genre, he needs to find someone that doesn't write over-the-top, corny dialogue.

If you thought Fallout was "PG-13 action with forced comedy", you must really hate the recent Star Wars/Marvel movies, since those things are dripping with jokes/bathos.

https://www.slashfilm.com/top-gun-2-script-rewrites-christopher-mcquarrie/

Sources confirmed to the outlet that McQuarrie is reworking portions of the script, as most of the screenplay, penned by Peter Craig (12 Strong), Justin Marks (Counterpoint), and Eric Warren Singer (American Hustle), has already been completed.

1 hour ago, TMP said:

Paramount should just swap this film's date with Terminator's. This one seems further along in development, and might actually be good :L

Based on what? Your hunch?

Also, Terminator's done filming, this only started filming a few weeks ago. So much for "further in development"...

:sadno:

17 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

I still don't get the year delay, filming is going on now, we know adult films can perform well in Oct/Nov if Summer is too soon

Tom is just using it as an excuse to have longer access to military grade fighter jets (even though he won't be flying them in the film). *cough* BS *cough*

PS: We all know Cruise will have an epic dogfight in this film.

Edited by ThePhasmid

On 11/4/2018 at 12:32 PM, Alli said:

Rejoice!  There's gonna be a volleyball scene.

Are they remaking the first movie?

That's a NAVY beach resort. Either Point Loma or Coronado. All of this is happening within a mile of me, and I still haven't seen the Cruise. Dammit!

Edited by ThePhasmid