Neo

Top Gun Maverick | May 27, 2022 | Catch it in theaters...again on December 2nd! | Comes to Paramount+ on December 22!

11 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Mission Impossible Fallout opened to 61m in July 2018. Mission Impossible Rogue Nation opened to 55.5m in July 2015. Add in Top Gun nostalgia, inflation, and probably more appeal to women, should be same range. And it’s a 4day holiday weekend 

I don't think the M:I films are quite comparable, espionage flicks are much more common than the type of aerial combat here, and the M:I films have been regular releases making it hard to eventize any single one. I also think the current climate is perfect for a military-themed film. 

7 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

I don't think the M:I films are quite comparable, espionage flicks are much more common than the type of aerial combat here, and the M:I films have been regular releases making it hard to eventize any single one. I also think the current climate is perfect for a military-themed film. 

I’m just thinking of Cruise fanbase who wants to see him to stunts and action 

10 hours ago, TylerG said:

Is this confirmed? She's already an Oscar winner so having her sing a la Take My Breath Away and win an Oscar for it would be fantastic.

I'm not sure, just what I read online. But the description of where the song plays in the movie was pretty detailed and seemed real. 

3 hours ago, efialtes76 said:

Poor Val.

🥺

If the shot in the trailer indicates we're going to see some weird CG-replacement head action with a digital approximation of Val's own voice, even over a Zoom call, that will be the ultimate sad face emoji.  I would have just left him out.  The digital image is just another layer of false metatext creating an additional false reality that shields us from confronting the real one.  

12 hours ago, TylerG said:

This looks incredible! The action sequences and cinematography are stunning. This should do good numbers. 

Is this confirmed? She's already an Oscar winner so having her sing a la Take My Breath Away and win an Oscar for it would be fantastic.

The Gaga song is real. They’ve shot a music video for it

4 hours ago, Flopped said:

I'm not sure, just what I read online. But the description of where the song plays in the movie was pretty detailed and seemed real. 

2 hours ago, Maggie said:

The Gaga song is real. They’ve shot a music video for it

Oh wow, interesting. Can you guys share any links where you read this, if you don't mind? Or do you have some insider info? I wonder when are they going to reveal it. She's a big name and can attract a lot of attention to the film, especially from younger crowds.

Btw hello everyone 👋 long time lurker, finally joined here. 

On topic, do we know of any early screenings taking place before Cannes? And when is the San Diego world premiere scheduled? 

Edited by TylerG

Have to admit, this trailer was pulling at the right nostalgic strings.  It's definitely the kind of movie that screams "big screen".  Someone mentioned it upthread, but this might be one movie that weirdly benefits from the delay with the whole Ukraine situation making it feel a bit more relevant.

15 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I wish Tom Cruise would get an Academy Award for Best Actor, not for any Oscar bait, but for an action movie like this or Mission Impossible. The guy is a legend and he looks amazing in this trailer.

He'll probably get an honorary one someday, if they're able to put the off-screen baggage he carries aside and focus strictly on his acting career.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Maggie said:

So, the trailer views numbers are pretty good. The issue is the likes, very weak numbers. How do we explain this? 

Would guess the older fanbase watching is not typically the kind to engage in that way. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Maggie said:

So, the trailer views numbers are pretty good. The issue is the likes, very weak numbers. How do we explain this? 

Yeah the likes and comment numbers are low for the number of views. But as others have said, it likely skews older and it is generally younger people that tend to like and comment on things. Another thing that inflates those numbers is having a dedicated fanbase which franchises do. But Top Gun isn't a franchise so it doesn't really have that kind of fan base.