Neo

Top Gun Maverick | May 27, 2022 | Catch it in theaters...again on December 2nd! | Comes to Paramount+ on December 22!

Snake Eyes, a movie that was moved up by three months in an era of setbacks and delays, crashing and burning as hard as it did is damn near lethal for a studio as unstable as Paramount. It makes perfect sense for them to bow out for the year and save their marketing money for later down the line.

Although, in hindsight, maybe moving Jackass Forever up to September (which now belongs entirely to Shang-Chi) might have worked out. That IP is an inexpensive one, which makes it a safe investment under any situation.

On 9/2/2021 at 8:35 AM, Maggie said:

Someone broke the embargo. There's a 2.5/5 review on letterboxd. If the movie is not good, this many delays could kill it.  

Well the original wasn't good and that didn't seem to be a problem back then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

I have a sneaky suspicion that Parmount thought that releasing a gung ho, Americ F---k yes film just a couple of months after America suffered a humliating defeat might not be such a good idea. Better to let things heal a little.

Was going to say this, too... but didn't want to start an argument.  I think this very well may have been a factor.  

4 hours ago, HesAPooka said:

Kenny Loggins was on the Rob Lowe podcast and said the movie has been screen for about 12 critics and they all thought it was incredible. Lowe claimed everyone he's spoken to that has been screened a copy loved it.

200.gif

Blah blah.  Loggins is personally involved.  When do people involved in an upcoming project not say this?  Just being real, here.  I'm sure the project is quality...but we'll see.  

Edited by Macleod

29 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I might well be wrong, but I just have a gut feeling the zeigeist is just not right for a film like this.

There was some hype for the movie, but it has died down. Par will struggle to get things going again.

Edited by Maggie

26 minutes ago, Maggie said:

There was some hype for the movie, but it has died down. Par will struggle to get things going again.

I was thinking more that it is just not the right time for a gung ho America F--- yes type movie. This is not 1986.

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I was thinking more that it is just not the right time for a gung ho America F--- yes type movie. This is not 1986.

They'll promote it to be more about the aviation/pilots and their achievements, not America F--- yeah

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Maggie said:

They'll promote it to be more about the aviation/pilots and their achievements, not America F--- yeah

Maybe, the problem is that if it like the original, it's ridiculus on it's protryal of combat aviation. For one thing, any pilot doing on half the crap that Maverick does...disobeying a direct order not once but several times...would be grounded, permanently, very fast.

It does not matter how good a pilot you are, if you cannot obey orders and be part of a team the military has no use for you.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Maybe, the problem is that if it like the original, it's ridiculus on it's protryal of combat aviation. For one thing, any pilot doing on half the crap that Maverick does...disobeying a direct order not once but several times...would be grounded, permanently, very fast.

It does not matter how good a pilot you are, if you cannot obey orders and be part of a team the military has no use for you.

From reading about the 13 minutes shown at Cinemacon, it looks like disobeying orders will happen in the sequel too. I mean, it worked for the original.