MaxAggressor

Weekend Thread | Estimates (per DHD) ~ MR:TDC 23M, J 15.8M, H 9.8M, TGS 9.3M, TP 8.7M, 12S/DoT 7.9M, TSOW 5.7M, P2 5.5M, TLJ 4M, TBOEM 3.6M

2 minutes ago, Chad Stevens said:

well, TA had a brief September re-release that pushed it over 623 Million according to BOM http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=avengers11.htm

Originally it made 615 Million

So TLJ will actually pass TA as far as FIRST RUNS are concerned. Am I wrong? for those who know this stuff fill me in. Thanks

A not unusual Labor Day re-expansion - we had several last year.  It was still in theaters, so all of it is part of the first run.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

A not unusual Labor Day re-expansion - we had several last year.  It was still in theaters, so all of it is part of the first run.

why does it not show 3 weeks of numbers (in AUG) if it was still in theaters? Confused

Edited by Chad Stevens

5 minutes ago, Chad Stevens said:

well, TA had a brief September re-release that pushed it over 623 Million according to BOM http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=avengers11.htm

Originally it made 615 Million

So TLJ will actually pass TA next weekend as far as the FIRST RUN is concerned. Am I wrong? for those who know this stuff fill me in. Thanks

It was not a re-release. The Avengers got a final bump in theater counts across North America to take advantage of the Labor Day Weekend. TLJ is also likely to get a small bump in theater counts during the Presidents Day + Valentine's Day Weekend.

3 minutes ago, MaxAggressor said:

It was not a re-release. The Avengers got a final bump in theater counts across North America to take advantage of the Labor Day Weekend. TLJ is also likely to get a small bump in theater counts during the Presidents Day + Valentine's Day Weekend.

That would be fair. If it doesn't then the expansion needs to be discussed. Although, one could say TLJ just isn't good enough to garner an expansion. However, it did make 612 Million after today so there are some including the media (still RT score or 91) that liked it. 

I guess we'll see and thanks Max for the clarification

Edited by Chad Stevens
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chad Stevens said:

That would be fair. If it doesn't then the expansion needs to be discussed. Although, one could say TLJ just isn't good enough to garner an expansion. However, it did make 612 Million after today so there are some including the media (still RT score or 91) that liked it.

There was a mistake. TLJ isn't going to have an expansion during next month's President's Day Weekend. I remembered the PTA increase and mixed it up with the theater counts.

I guess we'll see and thanks Max for the clarification

My info was half wrong but still zN9pcWbQ_o.gif

5 minutes ago, MaxAggressor said:

There was a mistake. TLJ isn't going to have an expansion during next month's President's Day Weekend. I remembered the PTA increase and mixed it up with the theater counts.

My info was half wrong but still zN9pcWbQ_o.gif

Wait The Avengers was out of theaters for an entire month according to BOM. On August 30th it was expanded to 1700 plus theaters.

Still my point is that it had a re-release or huge expansion, something that TLJ (according to you) will not benefit from.  

Edited by Chad Stevens

This was probably TGS' last shot at a weekend in the top 3. So since it never happened, it should easily eclipse American Hustle ($150m) as the highest grosser never to hit the weekend top 3.

Would love to see one more weekend for it over its OW next weekend. Would require no more than a 7.8% drop. Pretty hard, but certainly won't call it impossible for this movie, especially with Winchester being the only new release next weekend. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chad Stevens said:

Wait The Avengers was out of theaters for an entire month according to BOM. On August 30th it was expanded to 1700 plus theaters.  

Avengers wasn't out of theaters in August. It was still playing in dollar theaters. It wasn't making any significant amount of money so BOM doesn't show it in the dailies chart. TA collected around 830k in the whole of Aug. and then it expanded to 1,705 theaters and raked in a further 5.5 million. 

Still my point is that it had a huge expansion, something that TLJ (according to you) will not benefit from.

FTFY. Now you are right on the money. FyI3wra0_o.gif

9 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

@EmpireCity have you heard anything on a potential Phantom Thread expansion this weekend?

I can't imagine that movie would benefit much from a further expansion. I think 1000+ theaters is already probably more than what the demand is there for. 

Edited by MovieMan89

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I can't imagine that movie would benefit much from a further expansion. I think 1000+ theaters is already probably more than what they demand is there for. 

Given Winchester is the only wide release coming out this weekend, I know midsize theaters would be willing to give one or two other things up for Phantom Thread and Tonya. My 12plex's slate is currently this:

Maze Runner

Jumanji

Hostiles

The Greatest Showman

The Post

12 Strong

Den of Thieves

Shape of Water/Three Billboards

Paddington 2

Star Wars

The Commuter

Forever My Girl

The Commuter will fall victim to Winchester first. If PT or Tonya expands, Star Wars will go. I'm also guessing SOW gains a full screen with how it's been selling, so 3B would go split screen with Paddington. If both movies expand, IDK what will happen. Maybe Forever My Girl and Den of Thieves share a screen? They only play well during the day and night respectively, so it'd be an easy choice

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Honestly, if anything should be expanding next weekend it's TGS. Theaters overall stand a lot more to gain from that than any other expansion. 

I mean, it's already in nearly 2,700 theaters. Any potential theaters for that sure as hell wouldn't be opting for Phantom Thread and I, Tonya to begin with :lol: 

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1