WrathOfHan

Doctor Sleep | November 8 2019 | Ewan McGregor is Danny | Jacob Tremblay joins

8 hours ago, Lucas said:

Rewatched The Shining last night to prep for a viewing of this tonight, I'm so fucking ready.

Yeah I've got to do that too. Probably will put it on Thursday night (November 7). Definitely going to see this opening day!

Looking forward to getting your thoughts later.

Oh fuck yeah, this was loaded and thoroughly entertaining. Up there with Gerald's Game for Flanagan, for so much of the movie you just sit there going "I cannot believe this is working". It manages to balance so many different characters and ideas but everything just works and comes together in a really satisfying way. It's not particularly scary, but it's emotional and thematically heavy, which I always value more.

Talk about earning your pop culture references.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

Oh fuck yeah, this was loaded and thoroughly entertaining. Up there with Gerald's Game for Flanagan, for so much of the movie you just sit there going "I cannot believe this is working". It manages to balance so many different characters and ideas but everything just works and comes together in a really satisfying way. It's not particularly scary, but it's emotional and thematically heavy, which I always value more.

Talk about earning your pop culture references.

Completely agree with everything you just said. Saw it tonight and really, really enjoyed it. It’s not The Shining, but it doesn’t exactly try to be (despite some of it taking place at The Overlook), it’s very much it’s own thing rather than a retread of the original.

I say that as a fan of both the original Shining novel, Kubrick’s film, and the Doctor Sleep novel. However, I do feel that there’s going to be a disconnect with general audiences expecting The Shining Part 2, as it’s really nothing like that, it’s also not a typical haunted house horror which I felt like the majority of my audience were expecting for some reason.  I heard quite a few negative opinions of it on my way out that ranged from “it was nothing like The Shining” to “I wasn’t scared at all”. Go into this expecting a straightforward horror (although I don’t know why you would when The Shining is anything but) and you’ll be disappointed, go into it expecting an engrossing psychological thriller set in the same world as The Shining, and you’ll likely enjoy it.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Completely agree with everything you just said. Saw it tonight and really, really enjoyed it. It’s not The Shining, but it doesn’t exactly try to be (despite some of it taking place at The Overlook), it’s very much it’s own thing rather than a retread of the original.

I say that as a fan of both the original Shining novel, Kubrick’s film, and the Doctor Sleep novel. However, I do feel that there’s going to be a disconnect with general audiences expecting The Shining Part 2, as it’s really nothing like that, it’s also not a typical haunted house horror which I felt like the majority of my audience were expecting for some reason.  I heard quite a few negative opinions of it on my way out that ranged from “it was nothing like The Shining” to “I wasn’t scared at all”. Go into this expecting a straightforward horror (although I don’t know why you would when The Shining is anything but) and you’ll be disappointed, go into it expecting an engrossing psychological thriller set in the same world as The Shining, and you’ll likely enjoy it.

Well because it is exactly what you said it is. It is a psychological thriller with tincy horror element, acting mostly as call back to the shining and sometimes to help the plot advance. I have not watched the movie but I read the book, and it is rarely horror, rather intense. Stephen king has moved away from straight horror, for his last few books.

• Like 1

Saw it today in Spain and the film was pretty solid but it's not too mainstream in my opinion. Great tension and thrilling moments throughout the film and there are many beautiful shots. It's underperforming at the box office, same as in France (debuted at #5 yesterday)

• Like 1

Big big fan of this. Mike Flanagan strikes again. He is certainly one of the biggest horror names working nowadays. 

Just like everywhere else, it is underperforming here as well. It was 5th here yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

I can't imagine many randomers liking it. It's so strange and takes its time, it doesn't feel the need to try and scare you the whole movie. The characters take such a center stage to the point that people will find it boring.

• Like 1