WrathOfHan

Doctor Sleep | November 8 2019 | Ewan McGregor is Danny | Jacob Tremblay joins

22 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I never thought I'd see someone slag off Stanley Kubrick.... 

Let's just say that I think that "The Shining" was not one of his best efforts.

Great directors don't always make great movies.

Just now, Jonwo said:

I like Stephen King but he's not immune to criticism. 

oh, I have had lots of bad things to say about a lot of King's novels....he himself admits he writes too much and some of his weaker books should probably never have been published....but "The Shining" is one of his best novel,s and ,although the film is a pretty good film the novel is a lot better.

Jack Torrence's slow descent into madness in the novel is  lot scarier then what we see in the movie, believe me.

Yes, watching Nicholson doing his insane bit is always a lot of fun but he probably should have been a bit more restrained here.

And the character of the mother is just plain, well butchered.

I have a theory that one reason Kubrick made The Shining was to reestablish himself at the box office, since his previous film "Barry Lyndon"... which I like an awful lot.....had flopped, and Kubrick decided a horror film based on a best selling novel was just the ticket to do it. It was a big hit, but did not do justice to the novel. It's not that the film is bad, but it could have been a lot more.

I thinlk it a case of high..."Barry Lyndon"...a drop off ..."The Shining" and then high again "Full Metal Jacket "" (A film I absolutely love).

The 1997 TV Miniseries although more faithful to the novel (which is why King produced it) is badly flawed (Stephan Weber is simply inadequate as Jack Torrance) and not  as good as the movie but you do get a idea of the differences, and why  fans of the novel have some issues with the Kubrick film.

But I do prefer Robecca De Mornay version of Winnie to Shelly Duvall's.

Edited by dudalb

I admire Wendy more in the movie every time I watch it. Both the character and performance. She's strong and a survivor and she earns the status of the story's real protagonist, and showing the depths of her fear pays off all the more because ultimately she does not break. When she and Danny reunite outside the maze it moves me almost to the point of tears. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I admire Wendy more in the movie every time I watch it. Both the character and performance. She's strong and a survivor and she earns the status of the story's real protagonist, and showing the depths of her fear pays off all the more because ultimately she does not break. When she and Danny reunite outside the maze it moves me almost to the point of tears. 

Dr Sheep

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 5:28 PM, Jake Gittes said:

Did you see the same film I did>

You just described the Wendy of the novel;I did not see very much of her in the film.

• Thanks 1

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:20 PM, Chewy said:

Dr Sheep

I love Kubrick, but I hope I can still see his flaws and  mistakes.

Trying to portray the Wendy of the film as the same as the Wnedy of the novel is silly. It's as bad a case of cult director worship as anything I have seen from the Zack Snyder/James Cameron fans.

On 6/16/2018 at 3:28 AM, Jake Gittes said:

:hahaha:

10 hours ago, dudalb said:

Did you see the same film I did>

You just described the Wendy of the novel;I did not see very much of her in the film.

Again, never read the novel. As for the movie, Wendy's strength does come through better on repeated viewings when Nicholson no longer dominates your attention as thoroughly as he does at first, but it's there. At the end of the day, she overpowers her insane violent abuser of a husband, saves her son's life, and then her own by escaping the ghost-infested malevolent maze of a hotel. And all through it, she's completely fucking terrified, but her actual actions tell both herself and the audience that she's stronger than she knows. It's all right there on the screen. And yes, I am a Kubrick fan, but I neither love all of his films nor have I ever been in the habit of projecting what I want to see onto the screen instead of responding to what's already there.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:10 PM, Jake Gittes said:

Again, never read the novel. As for the movie, Wendy's strength does come through better on repeated viewings when Nicholson no longer dominates your attention as thoroughly as he does at first, but it's there. At the end of the day, she overpowers her insane violent abuser of a husband, saves her son's life, and then her own by escaping the ghost-infested malevolent maze of a hotel. And all through it, she's completely fucking terrified, but her actual actions tell both herself and the audience that she's stronger than she knows. It's all right there on the screen. And yes, I am a Kubrick fan, but I neither love all of his films nor have I ever been in the habit of projecting what I want to see onto the screen instead of responding to what's already there.

"Never read the novel:,

I have seen some pretty stupid statements here, but that is near the top.

Well, McGregor does not have to worry about this creating conflicts with the Obi Wan movie since all the potential Star War Story films have been  put into deep freeze, ie;tossed back into development Hell for a lengthy stay.

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

so what you're saying is that anyone who doesn't read the novel is dumb and not an intellectual

No the idea you should not read the novel for fear of spoiling the movie is dumb.

But it would not hurt for more people here to occasionaly read a fucking book once in a while...