WrathOfHan

Doctor Sleep | November 8 2019 | Ewan McGregor is Danny | Jacob Tremblay joins

36 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Oof. That's gonna polarize people.

It's weird, because whether King fans like it or not, The Shining is really Kubrick's legacy now. Interested to see how it plays out.

I haven't read Doctor Sleep and it has been like 5 years since I have seen The Shining but why would this polarise people?

33 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

Not really. The ending is very different.

...but I think King's still gonna approve of the ending.

thanks. I was just looking for spoilers when I read the synopsis so I guess I should expect to be surprised. :)

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

After the travesty that was MiB, it's great the Ferguson will be in a legitimately great role this year in a probably great movie. Also, @ViewerAnon what did other people from your screening think of the movie? Were they lukewarm like yours or even better?

My friends liked it more than I did.

I still liked it, though. I just hope they tweak it a bit before release.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

Oof. That's gonna polarize people.

It's weird, because whether King fans like it or not, The Shining is really Kubrick's legacy now. Interested to see how it plays out.

The book is massively more successful than the Kubrick film. It is also much better and the story actually makes sense unlike Kubrick’s film plus the book  has way better characterization for the main characters. The Kubrick film is famous for Nicholson’s performance not as a film overall. Anyway with over 350 million books sold King is a much more successful writer than Kubrick ever was as a director.

• Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 1

41 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

The book is massively more successful than the Kubrick film. It is also much better and the story actually makes sense unlike Kubrick’s film plus the book  has way better characterization for the main characters. The Kubrick film is famous for Nicholson’s performance not as a film overall. 

Stop posting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

decent little trailer.  I haven't read the book yet so I don't have much go to on, but it seems interesting enough that I want to see it :)  plus I loved the Shining so that helps 

The trailer seems to do justice to the book which is fucking terrible. It is also hilarious that Mike Flanagan went for The Haunting of The Hill House aesthetics for the movie instead of using the much superior aesthetics of The Shining.

4 hours ago, ViewerAnon said:

Not really. The ending is very different.

...but I think King's still gonna approve of the ending.

Spoiler

I did not like the ending. It shoehorned Jacks arc in the original book to be taken by Dan. It's not earned at all, the book was adamant on Dan earning his rehabilitation and the motivation to live his life at the end. Mikes heart is in the right place with trying to rectify King's original ending to the shining, but replacing Dan with Jack was not right.

Edited by Crosswind Ghost

4 hours ago, ViewerAnon said:

Yeah. It's not great but it's solid, with some genuinely scary moments.

I really thought Flanagan might finally slip up with this because he's been pumping out movies (and Hill House) left and right like a mad man, but hearing that it's at the very least solid is wonderful.

Fair warning - the spoiler'd comments reveal the ending of the movie, so do not click it unless you are sure you want to know.

17 minutes ago, Crosswind Ghost said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Hmmmm. I don't know if I agree, but I also don't necessarily disagree. It worked for me but it's debatable if it's earned.

I like the idea it mirrors Halloran's role.

Edited by ViewerAnon

5 hours ago, Thrylos 7 said:

The book is massively more successful than the Kubrick film. It is also much better and the story actually makes sense unlike Kubrick’s film plus the book  has way better characterization for the main characters. The Kubrick film is famous for Nicholson’s performance not as a film overall. Anyway with over 350 million books sold King is a much more successful writer than Kubrick ever was as a director.

Yeah...no. 

Maybe it's just me but this trailer reminded me why it was always a bad idea to try to follow up Kubrick's film. From the first few shots in the trailer you can tell this is going to pale in comparison, even if it's good.