WrathOfHan

Doctor Sleep | November 8 2019 | Ewan McGregor is Danny | Jacob Tremblay joins

13 hours ago, Thrylos 7 said:

The book is massively more successful than the Kubrick film. It is also much better and the story actually makes sense unlike Kubrick’s film plus the book  has way better characterization for the main characters. The Kubrick film is famous for Nicholson’s performance not as a film overall. Anyway with over 350 million books sold King is a much more successful writer than Kubrick ever was as a director.

Dude, no-one would give a shit about Dr Sleep were it not for the endurance of Kubrick film. It'd be a TV movie.

(Much like King's own Shining movie. :))

Edited by Hatebox

Looks phenomenal, Flanagan shot up to rockstar status after Hill House (which is a masterpiece). Kubrick's Shining is a great film (although I haven't seen the 20 min + longer cut) but god is it a horrendous adaptation. That new ending sounds pretty darn cool and I'm sure Flanagan will handle it well and I also guess it had to be different from the book considering what happens to the Overlook in Kubrick's version. 

The footage from the actual film looks completely different from The Shining, which is probably why they felt the need to insert a bunch of shots from the original film. This might result in a big OW as audiences expect a similar setting/tone, but it could lead to really bad WOM once they realize it's really a film about a weird cult and has nothing to do with a creepy hotel.

Edited by Hunch

5 minutes ago, Hunch said:

The footage from the actual film looks completely different from The Shining, which is probably why they felt the need to insert a bunch of shots from the original film. This might result in a big OW as audiences expect a similar setting/tone, but it could lead to really bad WOM once they realize it's really a film about a weird cult and has nothing to do with a creepy hotel.

From the actual film, you mean the footage they recreated? Otherwise, the Overlook is a big character in the book, it's not a film just about a weird cult, the Overlook informs Danny's past and present, etc.

23 minutes ago, a2k said:

Wonder if this could breakout (175-200+). Joker, IT2 and Doctor Sleep - WB could end the year nicely after a disappointing 1st half.

Annabelle 3 could also breakout. La Llrona also made some decent money relative to its budget. WB getting saved by horror movies this year lmao.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

55 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Annabelle 3 could also breakout. La Llrona also made some decent money relative to its budget. WB getting saved by horror movies this year lmao.

This is why their diversified slate is such a smart idea; mid budget (all under $60m) films in the fall could end up covering the losses from big budget missed in the summer. Goldfinch smells like a flop though, but we’ll see Ansolo’s box office clout.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Alli said:

something wrong with your nose. goldfinch will be a hit.

I hope it is, because mid-budget theatrical dramas are a dying breed, but the trailer doesn't give me a lot of confidence. 

26 minutes ago, TMP said:

I hope it is, because mid-budget theatrical dramas are a dying breed, but the trailer doesn't give me a lot of confidence. 

That release date and the fact that it isn't premiering in a single film festival does concern me. Films like that usually release in October onwards and have a film festival premiere. Hopefully, it is good. I loved Brooklyn by the same director and don't want this misfire (if it ends up becoming one) to ruin his career.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

That release date and the fact that it isn't premiering in a single film festival does concern me. Films like that usually release in October onwards and have a film festival premiere. Hopefully, it is good. I loved Brooklyn by the same director and don't want this misfire (if it ends up becoming one) to ruin his career.

There's time for it to debut at Telluride or Toronto Film Festival as I don't think they've announced their programming yet. 

• Like 1