Frozen

MA | May 31 2019 | Octavia Spencer, Luke Evans, Juliette Lewis | Blumhouse & Universal | Tate Taylor directing

23 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I think this is going to flop sadly. They didn't really keep the momentum going from the first trailer and it'll be opening a week after Brightburn ((Which is also probably going to flop)). 

Budget is $5 million so I don't think it will flop. Maybe not breakout.

33 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I think this is going to flop sadly. They didn't really keep the momentum going from the first trailer and it'll be opening a week after Brightburn ((Which is also probably going to flop)). 

Will people ever learn? Horror Movies are dead 2 weeks prior opening. 

La Llorona was also called a bomb and then it opened to $26m. 

16 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Will people ever learn? Horror Movies are dead 2 weeks prior opening. 

La Llorona was also called a bomb and then it opened to $26m. 

La Llorona also opened in an incredibly dead spot and dropped like a rock. Ma's opening up in a hyper-crowded May with another horror movie the week before it (Even if Brightburn's guaranteed to bomb at this point).

27 minutes ago, Frozen said:

Budget is $5 million so I don't think it will flop. Maybe not breakout.

That's fair to say.

There is ZERO reason to call this a bomb at this point in time. Come on now. Not every film is going to light it up in terms of marketing, social media etc. Horror gets a ton of walk-ups. More than enough people are going to see this movie.

Crowded weekend though, I'll say that. Godzilla and Rocketman will both draw in its own big audience. Quality weekend in general, May 31 - June 2 is.

4 minutes ago, Alli said:

Will do better than Rocketman that weekend

I'll be surprised if that comes even close to happening.

Given that the budget for this is so low, I imagine it'll turn a profit by the end of the weekend even if it debuts in the mid-teens like I suspect it will (though honestly feels like something that could've been a real breakout in a dead time of year like the middle of August).

Just now, filmlover said:

I'll be surprised if that comes even close to happening.

Given that the budget for this is so low, I imagine it'll turn a profit by the end of the weekend even if it debuts in the mid-teens like I suspect it will (though honestly feels like something that could've been a real breakout in a dead time of year like the middle of August).

What do you predict for Rocketman. I feel mid-teens for that one. MA has a chance of beating it imo. Don't underestimate the horror crowd

1 minute ago, Alli said:

What do you predict for Rocketman. I feel mid-teens for that one. MA has a chance of beating it imo. Don't underestimate the horror crowd

Rocketman is tracking for mid-$20M (on top of $50M+ for Godzilla) while this doesn't even tracking yet.

• Astonished 1

1 minute ago, Boxofficerules said:

I just think there is a lot out right now and coming out and this could get buried.

Ohhh, just like every single summer??? 2016 summer had even bigger releases than this one, it didn’t stop: The Shallows, The Purge 3, Lights Out, Don’t Breathe and The Conjuring 2 from being big successes. Summer CAN support a lot of movies.

• Thanks 1

On a $5 million budget, it will be profitable on opening weekend either way. So even if it does $45-$55 million domestic, Universal/Blumhouse makes a profit. But in my opinion this will do Purge 1/ Purge Anarchy numbers at its high. 

55 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

This would be great! I’m expecting high teens for now . 

48 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Ohhh, just like every single summer??? 2016 summer had even bigger releases than this one, it didn’t stop: The Shallows, The Purge 3, Lights Out, Don’t Breathe and The Conjuring 2 from being big successes. Summer CAN support a lot of movies.

I think he means this summer in particular is a bit different. 2016 had five, there are 11 horrors within 14 weeks this summer. 

Edited by Krissykins

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

This would be great! I’m expecting high teens for now . 

I think he means this summer in particular is a bit different. 2016 had five, there are 11 horrors within 14 weeks this summer. 

MA's only real competition are going to be: Brightburn, which is DOA, and Child's Play, that is also looking like a flop waiting to happen. Everything else is too far away to have an impact on it, imo.