lilmac

Was TGS a fluke?

On 2/2/2018 at 10:58 PM, Webslinger said:

It may be another medium, but I feel like Glee's massive success at the start of this decade is proof that audiences love musical crossover in visual media and will definitely turn out for a musical property that connects.

This decade

Musical Hits

LLL, Les Mis, TGS, Frozen, BATB, Into the Woods, Moana, Tangled, Rio, Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked, Pitch Perfect, Rio 2, Straight Outta Compton, Pitch Perfect 2, Sing, Trolls, Coco, Pitch Perfect 3

Borderline

Happy Feet 2, Footloose, The Muppets, Begin Again, Annie, The Book of Life, Get on Up, The Last 5 Years, Sing Street, Alvin 4

Musical Misses

Burlesque, Winnie the Pooh, Country Strong, Rock of Ages, Joyful Noise, Sparkle, Black Nativity, Jersey Boys, Muppets Most Wanted, Jem and the Holograms, All Eyez On Me

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Mad Panda said:

This decade

Musical Hits

LLL, Les Mis, TGS, Frozen, BATB, Into the Woods, Moana, Tangled, Rio, Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked, Pitch Perfect, Rio 2, Straight Outta Compton, Pitch Perfect 2, Sing, Trolls, Coco, Pitch Perfect 3

Borderline

Happy Feet 2, Footloose, The Muppets, Begin Again, Annie, The Book of Life, Get on Up, The Last 5 Years, Sing Street, Alvin 4

Musical Misses

Burlesque, Winnie the Pooh, Country Strong, Rock of Ages, Joyful Noise, Sparkle, Black Nativity, Jersey Boys, Muppets Most Wanted, Jem and the Holograms, All Eyez On Me

To me, it feels like musicals are like most genre's in which the films really need to feel accessible to general audiences to really shine through. I think they also need to feel either big, or kid-friendly.

But with the amount of musicals that have done just fine this decade, calling the genre a dead genre doesn't really work in my opinion. I don't think The Greatest Showman is a fluke at all, especially because of the musical successes that came before it.

• Like 2