grim22

BOTs Top 25 Movies of 2017 | NOLANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

3 minutes ago, slambros said:

The films that aren't fully guaranteed but still have a small chance nonetheless that I would like to see on the list are The Lost City of Z and Columbus specifically. But this was such a good year that I'd be hard-pressed to have an angry reaction to any submission or omission.

I'll probably be pleased with most of the choices myself. It was surprisingly quite a great year for film. It was hard to do a top 25 in general because there were so many films this year that I really liked. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

Spoiler

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2

guardians-of-the-galaxy-2-imax-poster.jp

2rGaaON.png

95atoQp.png

The sequel to one of Marvel's most unexpected blockbusters continued the winning streak for the studio. The characters everyone loved returned along with some unexpected new characters in a surprisingly emotional storyline. James Gunn once again delivered on the promise of a fun time at the movies and brought Baby Groot along as well

User Reviews:

A

That was perfect : humor, visuals, characters, pace, scenario.

Frankly, I don't see what could be wrong. Definitely my favorite Marvel movie along with Winter Soldier and GOTG1.

-  @Fullbuster

When I left the theater a week ago I left feeling that this one was just as good as the first one but a week later I'm actually starting to think it's even better than the first one. I really loved this one, it struck a chord or two with me. It wasn't just a fun ride with great characters but it also felt like an emotional one to me and, perhaps in part for some personal reasons, it just really worked for me.

It really felt like the director's movie as well, which is nice and rare considering the franchise.

A

- @Arlborn

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2
  • ...wtf 1

I'll be honest; run-of-the-mill action blockbusters like the Marvel films are falling out of taste with me. But that's not to say Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 doesn't have merit. The film is well acted, consistently quirky, and is a technical achievement in quite a few regards, most notably makeup and visual effects (in my opinion). I'd say it's deserving of #24.

I didn't like GotG2, and I loved the first one. It felt like it was trying too hard to be emotional. Too on the nose. It's not hard for a film to make me cry but this one had me rolling my eyes instead.

Groot is still adorable, tho.

• Like 1

Spoiler

John Wick Chapter 2

John-Wick-Chapter-Two-poster-2.jpg

kWtYfmV.png

lB8FgAV.png

We're thinking he's back again. Keanu returns in this late career franchise for him and delivers another high octane action masterpiece. John Wick 2 keeps everything that made the first so good, apart from for @Telemachos and adds to it making this a great thrill ride from start to finish. Keanu, of course, and the action setpieces are the highlight once again 

User reviews:

So fucking good!@Darth Boh-ne'er

Did John Wick 2 have a story? Nope not really. Did he kill 200 people? Yes, yes he fucking did. Gorgeous sets, cinematography and GunFu

I really like the interacting between 3 situations of him fighting to survive after the hit is called, great editing.

Cinematography was beautiful lived the use of color light though out. Action was well framed. lots of long takes, wide angles, were able to take it all in.

The way Chad stakes 3 set pieces on top of one another in Rome is brilliant, a huge shoot out at the concert the a underground sewer fight and

finally one on one with common. Although the club scene equalivenat in this while larger in scale isn't quite as good.

The ending in the Mirror/modern art part of the museum reminds me of Man With The Golden Gun. They pull of some pretty damn spectacular

and just and ass shots.

The sets though out the whole movie scream style, elegance, they are gorgeous.

However though I do feel a kinda lack of investment through half of the movie. When it took its self seriously it was bad ass

but not as emotionally engaging as the first.

One of my favorite parts is when they are firing at each other in the train station yet no one is noticing. Moments lie that are well this excels because

the film isn't quite as funny as the first.

While not a bad actor, I found the villain to be kinda mehh

Also while I love all the world building it kinda felt just a tad heavy handed like look we can make 12 of these and spin offs, you can tell they want a franchise.

Not necessarily a bad thing. I felt the movie could have cut a little fat, 5 minutes though out just to tighten it up, some dead space between action because

of the lack of plot. The very end also dragged on for too long. 

B (85)

-  @Jay Hollywood

• Like 11
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 2

9 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Hide contents

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2

guardians-of-the-galaxy-2-imax-poster.jp

2rGaaON.png

95atoQp.png

The sequel to one of Marvel's most unexpected blockbusters continued the winning streak for the studio. The characters everyone loved returned along with some unexpected new characters in a surprisingly emotional storyline. James Gunn once again delivered on the promise of a fun time at the movies and brought Baby Groot along as well

User Reviews:

A

That was perfect : humor, visuals, characters, pace, scenario.

Frankly, I don't see what could be wrong. Definitely my favorite Marvel movie along with Winter Soldier and GOTG1.

-  @Fullbuster

When I left the theater a week ago I left feeling that this one was just as good as the first one but a week later I'm actually starting to think it's even better than the first one. I really loved this one, it struck a chord or two with me. It wasn't just a fun ride with great characters but it also felt like an emotional one to me and, perhaps in part for some personal reasons, it just really worked for me.

It really felt like the director's movie as well, which is nice and rare considering the franchise.

A

- @Arlborn

Disagree it didn't even make my top 50

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kraken said:

I didn't like GotG2, and I loved the first one. It felt like it was trying too hard to be emotional. Too on the nose. It's not hard for a film to make me cry but this one had me rolling my eyes instead.

Groot is still adorable, tho.

I liked this one much more than the first.  It felt less obnoxiously gimmicky and more genuine, all the characters are improved upon and Baby Groot is just brilliant fun.

Really could have done without the Hasselhoff stuff though - especially at the end

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3

John Wick: Chapter 2 is something special. I personally believe that the entry has put the trilogy in a place that will end up defining it as something deeper than the usual action franchise. It is a very well-made action thriller, and I remember being invested in the film during both of the times I watched it.

Edited by slambros